No, MFP, I am not walking a dog...

Options

Replies

• Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    LOL, it kept doing that for me too! Then I found an entry for "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace" and started using that... woo hoo, no more ghost dog ;)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    424a57 wrote: »
    When I search for walking at 3.0 mph, it gives two options -- with and without the dog.

=============

ndlgyg9a35i1.png

It's not like it's any different anyways (besides the name of the entry) - the calories are going to be the same amount for the same amount of time.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    this is so weird.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    eta it might be easier to just get a dog.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Okay but consider this: just get a dog. El Perrito Super Gordito might need a home.

6zst8i4im9yi.jpg

7mqsab36fe07.jpg

8yyrgwqil7ce.jpg

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Alas, my apartment building doesn't allow dogs (not even ghost dogs). Nor does my husband, unfortunately. I could walk my cat, but then the entry would still be inaccurate.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    perhaps you are concerned that one day you will look back and wonder why you were walking a dog? did I ever own a dog?

what is the meaning of life!?!?!

And this ^^^^^

And I have a pug, trust me, walks with that dog are not 3 MPH unless he is chasing food. Otherwise, it is walk 10 feet, stop, sniff, move 2 feet, sniff more etc etc etc
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe just don't log your walk and instead raise your activity level to account for it? It's just, really not something to worry about and it's not as if you can't make your own entry and manually enter it versus having it auto-sync from another app.

So either take the easy route and ignore the fact it includes something about a dog...or go the extra step and disconnect the other app, make your own entry and manually enter each time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    eta it might be easier to just get a dog.

Arf
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »
    perhaps you are concerned that one day you will look back and wonder why you were walking a dog? did I ever own a dog?

And this ^^^^^

And I have a pug, trust me, walks with that dog are not 3 MPH unless he is chasing food. Otherwise, it is walk 10 feet, stop, sniff, move 2 feet, sniff more etc etc etc

RAGE!!!!
    OMG- my friend has a shiba inu- and I don't think she takes him very often to pedestrian places- just down the street and or the dog park.

We were in a dog friendly pedestrian mall in a city and she has one of those FJLDFLKJDING ridiculous retractable leashes. **most** of the time she kept him within 5 feet- but he would stop CONSTANTLY. I'm like dude- we are never going to get anywhere: click the goddalkjfladskjf button to lock the leash and let's go. this is ridiculous.

stabby jo was stabby.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    3 mph is my normal walking speed, and yes, there is an option of just 3 mph. I liked the walking the dog part, though; however, there is no way my doxie is going to go 3 mph. Takes us half an hour for a mile, but there is no option of "2 mph walking dog", grrrr, so I have to log it as simply 2 mph.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

And this ^^^^^

My doxie doesn't stop and sniff; he stops and pees. However, he only does that in new places, and never gets as far as ten feet at a time, lol. In our neighborhood and the trail we go on most often, he's pretty consistent but still has very short legs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

And this ^^^^^

My doxie doesn't stop and sniff; he stops and pees. However, he only does that in new places, and never gets as far as ten feet at a time, lol. In our neighborhood and the trail we go on most often, he's pretty consistent but still has very short legs.

When I would log walks with my dog (who is a doxie/lab mix), I didn't count the initial bathroom time. The walk starts after she does her business and 3-3.2 mph is a pretty steady pace for her.

When we go for a walk, it's a walk. I limit/don't let her randomly stop and sniff about unless I think she might really need to go again.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I track my walks through MapMyFitness and it syncs with MFP, my walks get tracked with the comment that I'm walking a dog. I don't have a dog, I have not selected any options through either app that should suggest I am walking a dog.

Is there any way I can convince MFP that I am just walking, sans canine?

Does the same with me. I just ignore it as I don't know that there is a way to change it.

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It's just using the act of walking a dog to give you an idea of what your pace would be at that speed using a real-world scenario.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    z4xnpembzdd4.jpg

I have the same problem so I've been thinking about getting an invisible dog!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Get a faster dog.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I track my walks through MapMyFitness and it syncs with MFP, my walks get tracked with the comment that I'm walking a dog. I don't have a dog, I have not selected any options through either app that should suggest I am walking a dog.

Is there any way I can convince MFP that I am just walking, sans canine?

Probably more calories burned than walking a cat.

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    But seriously though...If you have a fitbit you should just let it log anything step based (it adjusts for intensity) and turn off the mapmyfitness app

Even for runs? I do like the mapping features of the MapMyFitness.

Even for runs.