No, MFP, I am not walking a dog...

Options

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My dog used to complain that the entry wasn't giving him enough credit and was perhaps even hurting his calorie burn.
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    I agree with you. I hate that entry. There isn't a walking entry for 3 mph (my normal speed for a leisurely walk) that doesn't include a dog. It's weird. As if "hey, you're slow so clearly you're meandering around the yard waiting for your dog to poop". LOL...not an issue per se, but annoying anyway.

Yes, there is. Search "3.0". There is an entry with and an entry without the dog.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    My dog used to complain that the entry wasn't giving him enough credit and was perhaps even hurting his calorie burn.

Did it say "slow pace-walking a human"?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I hate that entry. There isn't a walking entry for 3 mph (my normal speed for a leisurely walk) that doesn't include a dog. It's weird. As if "hey, you're slow so clearly you're meandering around the yard waiting for your dog to poop". LOL...not an issue per se, but annoying anyway.

Yes, there is. Search "3.0". There is an entry with and an entry without the dog.
    Good find, crisis over.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    It's like saying "hey, I'm slightly active, but I'm not a teacher or salesman"

It's giving comparisons. Not everyone here is using MFP to be 100% accurate. If they would, all entries would be HRM estimates, all foods would be listed in grams, and all would be correct. This is just a tool to guide you. Don't log it, if it bothers you.
  • OffKilter5150
    OffKilter5150 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Notice that there is a comma in that descriptor. That comma is intended to define an example. Not as a hard and fast rule.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I always wondered if the dog made you burn more or fewer calories...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I may stop tracking my walks and let my fitbit count the steps, unless I'm doing a powerwalk or something intended more as a workout.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the number of calories to maintain your current weight. Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. When you connect your accounts, MFP adjusts your calorie goal every day to TDEE minus deficit.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, and set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. Follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your adjustments. No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. If you want your Fitbit exercise to appear in your newsfeed, post a status update.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    But seriously though...If you have a fitbit you should just let it log anything step based (it adjusts for intensity) and turn off the mapmyfitness app

Even for runs? I do like the mapping features of the MapMyFitness.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    But seriously though...If you have a fitbit you should just let it log anything step based (it adjusts for intensity) and turn off the mapmyfitness app

Even for runs? I do like the mapping features of the MapMyFitness.

Disconnect MapMy from MFP, then connect it to Fitbit and Fitbit to MFP.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options

Yes, I think the error comes from the syncing between applications.

• bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    33Freya wrote: »
    I always wondered if the dog made you burn more or fewer calories...
    If it's anything like my dog walks I think perhaps you burn more because it's like interval training of sprints and then very slow walks.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Good find, crisis over.

Not unless you have a suggestion on how to get MFP to choose the correct entry when it syncs with MapMyFitness. ;-) I think the crisis is still occurring. Whatever shall I do?!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Good find, crisis over.

Not unless you have a suggestion on how to get MFP to choose the correct entry when it syncs with MapMyFitness. ;-) I think the crisis is still occurring. Whatever shall I do?!

Post more threads, start a movement, complain to the MFP moderators.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I may stop tracking my walks and let my fitbit count the steps, unless I'm doing a powerwalk or something intended more as a workout.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the number of calories to maintain your current weight. Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. When you connect your accounts, MFP adjusts your calorie goal every day to TDEE minus deficit.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, and set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. Follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your adjustments. No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. If you want your Fitbit exercise to appear in your newsfeed, post a status update.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Thanks, I'll check out the user group. I'm not particularly worried about the calorie burn, since I'm not dieting or tracking food. I have my fitbit connected already. As I said above, perhaps I will just stop using other apps to track my recreational walks. I do it because I enjoy the mapping features. But it's probably more useful to just map my runs.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I search for walking at 3.0 mph, it gives two options -- with and without the dog.

=============

ndlgyg9a35i1.png
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    424a57 wrote: »
    When I search for walking at 3.0 mph, it gives two options -- with and without the dog.

=============

ndlgyg9a35i1.png

I know. It wouldn't be a problem if I were logging my walks through MFP. The problem comes when MFP syncs with MapMyFitness. As far as I know, you don't get to choose how MFP labels the exercise in that case. Am I wrong?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Ha! Well, that's new. It didn't used to be there. But, I've been using the app for almost 4 years so apparently they added that somewhere along the way and it always comes up with the one I've used in the past. Thanks for pointing that out LOL.

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Make your own entry : Walking 3.0 MPH, No dog so my MFPals know.

You and your logic. STOP.