No, MFP, I am not walking a dog...

demoiselle2014
demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
For some reason when I track my walks through MapMyFitness and it syncs with MFP, my walks get tracked with the comment that I'm walking a dog. I don't have a dog, I have not selected any options through either app that should suggest I am walking a dog.

Is there any way I can convince MFP that I am just walking, sans canine?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Does it really matter? I think it's because in MFP's database, a leisurely walk is listed as walking the dog. If you walk faster, it will probably log it as something else, like a brisk walk.
  • demoiselle2014
    It's just the sort of inaccuracy that bugs me. However, I may stop tracking my walks and let my fitbit count the steps, unless I'm doing a powerwalk or something intended more as a workout.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    err doesnt it just says its comparable to walking a dog pace and not that it actually thinks you are walking a dog?
    I can see its a serious issue.
  • demoiselle2014
    It says "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" which I suppose could be read as "similar to walking a dog." My first reading of it is as if it is a note clarifying that "On this particular walk, I was walking a dog."

I know this isn't some kind of catastrophic issue, but it is an annoying inaccuracy. On a site and on a forum where people are trying to be accurate down to the last gram and calorie in their food, and also trying to track their exercise output correctly, I don't think it's strange for me to want my exercise diary to be labeled correctly. After all, I use this service to track my exercise, not to count calories.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    I use runkeeper app...really good
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I agree with you. I hate that entry. There isn't a walking entry for 3 mph (my normal speed for a leisurely walk) that doesn't include a dog. It's weird. As if "hey, you're slow so clearly you're meandering around the yard waiting for your dog to poop". LOL...not an issue per se, but annoying anyway.
  • demoiselle2014
    I liked the functionality for RunKeeper (it works well even though I don't have a data plan), but found it froze quite often. I don't have the highest end phone . . . that's why I switched to MapMyFitness. I may end up switching back, though.
  • demoiselle2014
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    I agree with you. I hate that entry. There isn't a walking entry for 3 mph (my normal speed for a leisurely walk) that doesn't include a dog. It's weird. As if "hey, you're slow so clearly you're meandering around the yard waiting for your dog to poop". LOL...not an issue per se, but annoying anyway.

You're making me laugh! I was actually walking slowly because I'd just finished a half hour run. I don't suppose there is any real value in mapping that, though.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I wish I had these kind of problems.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Oh my goodness. I just had a huge laugh over this! It's actually quite funny but I can see why you would want it changed. I have seen this posted on other people's feeds too...hmmm....haha Not sure exactly why walking the dog is even relevant to the walk? My old dog would take FOREVER to walk and sniff and pee on everything. lol
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Make your own entry : Walking 3.0 MPH, No dog so my MFPals know.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    It says "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" which I suppose could be read as "similar to walking a dog." My first reading of it is as if it is a note clarifying that "On this particular walk, I was walking a dog."

I know this isn't some kind of catastrophic issue, but it is an annoying inaccuracy. On a site and on a forum where people are trying to be accurate down to the last gram and calorie in their food, and also trying to track their exercise output correctly, I don't think it's strange for me to want my exercise diary to be labeled correctly. After all, I use this service to track my exercise, not to count calories.

Little inaccuracies like this bug me too. But, I have a touch of OCD...regardless...can you enter a new exercise in the database by chance? Would that even work though?
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Perhaps the only solution is to get a dog. ;)
    I have a dog so it's OK for me but I can see that it would be irritating!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    perhaps you are concerned that one day you will look back and wonder why you were walking a dog? did I ever own a dog?

what is the meaning of life!?!?!
  • demoiselle2014
    Someday when some important archeologist digs up this database and uses my fitness diary to write a groundbreaking paper on fitness in the 21st Century, you will *ALL* see why my concerns about this glitch were well-founded.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I log my strength circuits, swimming and running as various walking speeds based on weightloss minus calories in, calibrated against METs. Well, something seems to be right there as I'm maintaining just fine with eating back pretty much all exercise cals. I do this because I want to log kind of accurate calorie burns and workout durations. I don't mind though what it says on the label. I havn't logged any dogs yet, though ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    It's a ghost dog

WoooOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOO
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Walk faster.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    But seriously though...If you have a fitbit you should just let it log anything step based (it adjusts for intensity) and turn off the mapmyfitness app