Starting 5 week low carb diet! No more excuses! Who wants to join me? :)

Options

Replies

• KarinasPerfectBody
    KarinasPerfectBody Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    For a person who constantly eats, low carb diet works the best

You are doing low carb for 5 weeks?

That's doomed to failure isn't it?

You are so right! I think it is my 4th attempt now.. I should mentioned that I am getting married at the beginning of August! And I have just few weeks to get back to shape! So can't really keep on trying and have to be strong and consistent with my diet!

Since this is your 4th attempt it's obvious low carb isn't working for you. Why not try something new like CICO?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I think I would have same 4 attempts with any other diet as I wasn't serious about it.. I thought- oh, I have plenty of months to go so I can do it easily! But now with just few weeks left I need some extra support to keep on going... I think low carb works better for me just because I love salads and meat! So it was quite easy to follow it, I just have to be careful with all the allurements around me.. And again! Portions CONTROL!!! I just can't stop when I start! Do not feel when I am full

Try the Low Carb Daily group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thank you!! Joining it now!! Want to find some nice easy recipes
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Are you cutting oils because of the calories? What do you cook your food with?

I will say this, low carb is not necessarily in low calorie. It takes a lot to pull this off and meticulous food weighing, planning meals and how you will cook them, etc.. Plus getting everyone around you on board as well.

Here is what I would do, weigh and measure all my food for two weeks that I normally eat. Get a hold on portion control and see what things I need to change to meet the deficit. Start loosing weight... if I am not loosing weight, then my logging is wrong and I am eating too much and even too many exercise calories back..

The question is, when you are done with low carb, what is the next plan for eating better, healthy and able to maintain...

Why not just learn to eat what you enjoy now in smaller portions to loose weight and make it a bit easier to maintain and SUSTAIN later on..???

I chosen low carb because I absolutely love it! Vegetables and meat is the tastiest food for me :) so I am trying to combine portions control and healthy eating together. Hope low carb will help me to meet all these above goals
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    Options
    In terms of cooking, I eat mostly grilled food with no oil, salads or steamed food. But again it is my first day today, so far goes well!! I am sure this chat will help me to keep on going
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I will say this, low carb is not necessarily in low calorie. It takes a lot to pull this off and meticulous food weighing, planning meals and how you will cook them, etc.. Plus getting everyone around you on board as well.

Here is what I would do, weigh and measure all my food for two weeks that I normally eat. Get a hold on portion control and see what things I need to change to meet the deficit. Start loosing weight... if I am not loosing weight, then my logging is wrong and I am eating too much and even too many exercise calories back..

The question is, when you are done with low carb, what is the next plan for eating better, healthy and able to maintain...

Why not just learn to eat what you enjoy now in smaller portions to loose weight and make it a bit easier to maintain and SUSTAIN later on..???

I chosen low carb because I absolutely love it! Vegetables and meat is the tastiest food for me :) so I am trying to combine portions control and healthy eating together. Hope low carb will help me to meet all these above goals

Vegetables are carbs. If you're cutting out fat, you'd be getting plenty of carbs from vegetables unless you're eating a majority of protein. Cutting out fat is a BAD idea. You need fat for nutrient absorption, good health and body functions.

Achieving your goals will come from eating in a deficit. Accurately weigh, measure and log everything you eat... Carbs, protein and fat. Stick to your calorie goal. Simples!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Ok, I cooked grilled turkey breasts and grilled vegetables for tomorrow. Put everything into containers for my lunch in dinner which should help me to control my portions! Ah! I can do it!!

That's nice, but low carb isn't just meat and veggies - where are you on your fat macro? Are you cooking in oil? Most low carbers on the site put the emphasis on fat to help them feel full; it's not just cutting out breads, pastas, and baked goods. If you don't have your macros set correctly, that could explain why you've failed at low carb 3 times before and have trouble controlling your portions.

I used oils on my first attempts, but this time I'll try to cut them out for a week or two which will help me to eat sufisient amount of food in my 1200 cal limits. When I'll get used to eat less I will probably start adding oils without overeating :) that's the plan now :)
    You're going to crash and burn. You can't do low-carb and low-fat. You need to find a way to work fat into your 1200 calories. Butter, oil, avocado, cheese, fattier cuts of meat. Something.

• KarinasPerfectBody
    Options

Vegetables are carbs. If you're cutting out fat, you'd be getting plenty of carbs from vegetables unless you're eating a majority of protein. Cutting out fat is a BAD idea. You need fat for nutrient absorption, good health and body functions.

Achieving your goals will come from eating in a deficit. Accurately weigh, measure and log everything you eat... Carbs, protein and fat. Stick to your calorie goal. Simples!

Agree! I get enough carbs from veggies,

Agree! I get enough carbs from veggies, yesterday (accourding to our favourite FitnessPal :) ) I had 40 grams of carbs- which is enough at this stage I think? I am sure this figure will vary from day to day..And yes - calorie goal is the key, but I do not find it simple at all
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Ok, I cooked grilled turkey breasts and grilled vegetables for tomorrow. Put everything into containers for my lunch in dinner which should help me to control my portions! Ah! I can do it!!

That's nice, but low carb isn't just meat and veggies - where are you on your fat macro? Are you cooking in oil? Most low carbers on the site put the emphasis on fat to help them feel full; it's not just cutting out breads, pastas, and baked goods. If you don't have your macros set correctly, that could explain why you've failed at low carb 3 times before and have trouble controlling your portions.

I used oils on my first attempts, but this time I'll try to cut them out for a week or two which will help me to eat sufisient amount of food in my 1200 cal limits. When I'll get used to eat less I will probably start adding oils without overeating :) that's the plan now :)
    You're going to crash and burn. You can't do low-carb and low-fat. You need to find a way to work fat into your 1200 calories. Butter, oil, avocado, cheese, fattier cuts of meat. Something.

Sure- I do not think it possible to cut fat on 100%! I eat meat, cheese, beans, and yogurt - all have some fat in there.. I just try not to add any additional oils to my food
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Sure- I do not think it possible to cut fat on 100%! I eat meat, cheese, beans, and yogurt - all have some fat in there.. I just try not to add any additional oils to my food

What percentage of your diet now is from fat? Low carb eaters usually get upwards of 50% of their calories from fat, I believe. You seem to focusing on the high protein (LC is medium protein), and as for the 1200 calorie limit - where did you get that? What are your stats (height, weight)? Your profile says you have 12 lbs to lose, your deficit might be far too aggressive, which is another factor that can derail you.
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    edited June 2015
    Options

What percentage of your diet now is from fat? Low carb eaters usually get upwards of 50% of their calories from fat, I believe. You seem to focusing on the high protein (LC is medium protein), and as for the 1200 calorie limit - where did you get that? What are your stats (height, weight)? Your profile says you have 12 lbs to lose, your deficit might be far too aggressive, which is another factor that can derail you.

Hi, ok, here is me.. Today I overeat humus.. And had one candy.. But still managed to stay within my 1200 cal, but I reached 134 grams of carbs and 21grams of fat, overdid with sugars of 69 grams.. Yes, I am trying to increase my protein intake but today was just 108 g.. I am 163cm tall and my current weight is 61 kg, and just one month ago I was 57kg and gained back those 4 kg because of my overeating problem and without counting calories..
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    Options
    I want to get to 55kg in 5 weeks, which is loosing 6kg for now. The first 1-2kg will be easy as it mostly water then will get tough.. Do you think it is manageable?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I want to get to 55kg in 5 weeks, which is loosing 6kg for now. The first 1-2kg will be easy as it mostly water then will get tough.. Do you think it is manageable?

No.

And 21g fat isn't acceptable....please eat more. Add avo/nuts/oily fish/olive oils /coconut oil/butter etc
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Hi, ok, here is me.. Today I overeat humus.. And had one candy.. But still managed to stay within my 1200 cal, but I reached 134 grams of carbs and 21grams of fat, overdid with sugars of 69 grams.. Yes, I am trying to increase my protein intake but today was just 108 g.. I am 163cm tall and my current weight is 61 kg, and just one month ago I was 57kg and gained back those 4 kg because of my overeating problem and without counting calories..

Honestly, I think you are going burnout and either end up binging, or just look and feel like rubbish.

Here's why. First, you do not have much weight to lose, and 2 lbs a week is far too aggressive for what you want to achieve. Second, you are not doing a low carb diet. You may be eating fewer carbs than you did before, but you're not low carbing with over 100g of carbs and only 21g fat. What you're doing is a high protein, very low fat, bare minimum calorie diet. I don't think it's going to get you where you want to be, and cutting your fat intake down drastically can impact nutrient absorption, digestion, and hormones. Dietary fat is good.

I would recommend picking a reasonable calorie deficit to lose .5 - 1 lb per week, get some exercise, do some resistance training, drink water, and get lots of sleep. If you want to do a low carb diet, talk to some people here who low carb and find out how they've set their macros. If cutting carbs doesn't work for you and you find yourself getting cranky or overeating after days when you have had a lower-than-usual carb intake, maybe lowering carbs isn't the thing for you and you need a different way of eating.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Yes! Low carb AND low fat will not be fun! Could be why you couldn't stick to it before.
    But ultimately you have to stay below maintenance calories to lose weight no matter what. LCHF works for me more than any other way of eating in deficit I have ever tried because I have zero issues with hunger. That's due to the healthy fats. I never crave sweets or carbs anymore. That's why I am finding success. I find it easy to stay in control and I have no intention of ever ending this "diet". This is just how I eat now.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. Have to see how many cal will be left per day so I can add fat, for now I do not see it happening as calorie deficit is the key to success.. Have to learn eat less first.. How do you guys manage to control your portions?

With fat. For example,
    I eat 20g or less carbs a day. It's crazy easy if you seek out fats purposely.
    I might have coffee with heavy whipping cream and coconut oil and an egg and bacon for breakfast. Make a low carb tortilla pizza with pesto, pepperoni and mozzarella for lunch and have some kind of meat with spinach and mushrooms sautéed in butter (real, not margarine) for dinner. I can easily do this under 1200 calories and have no need for snacks because I'm simply not hungry. But if I do want a snack or if I just have a snack-like lunch, I like celery with cream cheese or cucumber with tuna, mayo and diced pickle. There are so many good things to eat that help me stay in control. It's made my 13lbs easy to lose over the last 7 weeks.
  • jadedemina
    jadedemina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did low carb a few years ago and
    Now giving it another try again I lost 71 pounds in about 5 months but then I plateaued and could not get through it and it made me so frustrated that I gave up on it and boom weight went back on so fast and that's the thing about it once u go off for the majority of ppl you gain quick and u gain a lot . I liked the low carb because of course the weight loss and to be honest I tracked all my meals etc and I never made it over my cal limit either so was great :) here's to giving it another go and hopefully not giving up this time! All the best of luck to you
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    "Identical twins like us are extremely useful in experiments because we have exactly the same genes. This means any changes we observed would be due to the diets and not genetics.
    I went on a no-carbohydrate diet - essentially no sugar - and Chris went on an extremely low-fat diet.
    We were allowed to eat as much as we wanted, except I couldn't have carbohydrates and Chris was allowed only the barest amount of fat - you need some fat to survive, so he restricted himself to food with less than 2 per cent fat."
    "Let me tell you straight up that both of these diets were miserable. I thought I'd got the better deal: I could eat meat, fish, eggs and cheese.
    But take away carbohydrates and the joy goes out of meals. And remove all fruit and veg - they all have carbs - and you get constipated. Though I was never hungry, I felt slow and tired, and my breath was terrible.
    Chris on his low-fat diet didn't fare much better. He never felt full, so was constantly snacking, and like me he found that all the pleasure had gone out of meals: pasta without olive oil is boring."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2546975/One-twin-gave-sugar-gave-fat-Their-experiment-change-YOUR-life.html
  • ailsadell
    ailsadell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I began a low carb diet several months ago now, and within 6 weeks had a loss of almost a stone. I'm 5'4 and initially started at 148lb... I can not exercise as I have ME/CFS and my calculations said at a sedentary lifestyle my body will need just over 1200 calories a day (can't remember exact figure) ... I read I need a deficit of around 500 cals for a 1lb per week loss.... Many say this is unhealthy!!...

However, I simply cut out bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/cereal and haven't looked back. I think it's a very psychological thing to think the plate looks "wrong" without the high carb there, but you quickly get used to it and substitute pasta say for noodled zucchini. I eat a full selection of salad and vegetables (occasionally having sweet potato) and stick with lean meats like chicken and beef. I simply can't get my head around the fact of eating lots of fats like the really low carbers do,

BUT, the main thing is it's worked for me... It's extremely sustainable so can not for the life of me understand the thinking of many on here why it couldn't be... I eat three huge meals a day, am never hungry, and calories average out to 800-1000 a day depending on what I choose to eat. ... Yes I weigh everything!..... On a low calorie (high sugar /carb containing) diet my food amounts per calorie would seem a lot less in proportion to low carb options so I see this as a no brainer...

OP.... Do it, it works... And all the best to you xx
  • riaanzoetmulder
    riaanzoetmulder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Currently doing the ketogenic diet. 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs. Reasons: weight loss, epilepsy.

Did this for a year once than started bulking again. It's pretty simple get enough fats, preferably unsaturated or mct. Make sure you eat a ton of veggies and moderate amounts of meat. Also drink a ton of water, diets have been shown to Increase risk of kidney stones.

Keep moving enough though.

Main problem I'm having is reaching the proper amount of calories. I'm below 2000. Which is no good at all. So mind that too!

Good luck!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    carbs are not the enemy. Calories in/calories out works, deprivation not necessary.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The main thing that worries me about this is that you're getting married in a few weeks

You want to be healthy and full of vitality with glowing hair, skin, strong nails

you don't want a bad diet to risk any of that for the sake of a few pounds on the scale

well that's how I see it anyway (and I'm not even Sue Sylvester from Glee)