How I lost 40 pounds

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    You really share good experience.But it may be hard to follow the list of more than 26 things, and I have used SKG Slimming Massager Belt for over a month, thinking it easy to use and workable to lose weight. So if anyone can't insist on a healthy diet or doing exercise everyday can buy this one and have a try.
    http://www.tinydeal.com/skg-4002-portable-fitness-slimming-massager-belt-with-heat-px2uafr-p-148250.html

Go away, dirtbag. Why do you want to keep people fat and slightly poorer?

Why am I being flagged for abuse for telling off a spammer? (read the post I quoted, yeah?)

Probably the dirtbag didn't agree with you ;)
  • Xanna89
    Xanna89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to take away my egg yolks can pry the from my cold, dead hands.

Lmao! That's how I feel about cheese! No way I'm giving that up. I just don't put it on EVERYTHING like I used to.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Xanna89 wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to take away my egg yolks can pry the from my cold, dead hands.

Lmao! That's how I feel about cheese! No way I'm giving that up. I just don't put it on EVERYTHING like I used to.

fellow cheese-fiend :heart:

I buy big blocks of extra mature cheddar and grate it then keep it in a tupperware (pre-grated, I think you guys call it shredded, has additives you don't need)

Then I add 5g to scrambled egg, 10g to top rice and stew or pasta and sauce etc

It's not that calorific that way (40 cals for 10g) and it hits the spot throughout the day
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    BTW, I suspect number 19 is a specifically American phenomenon. If you asked for a 'to go' (or take away) box at the start of meal in the UK or elsewhere, I suspect they'd think you were crazy, and possibly refuse your request! For starters, there are a scant few places I've ever eaten out at in the UK or in continental Europe where the plate comes so loaded that you instantly believe there is a double serving on it, and need to remove half the amount given to you to eat at another time! Certainly, in my travels through Europe, Asia and Australasia, I've rarely come across restaurants deliberately serving twice the amount on a plate that would normally be there! And, outside of restaurants that are both an eat-in and take-away restaurant (Indians and Chinese tend to fall into this), it's possible that the place doesn't actually possess boxes for you to take some of your food away. So, just be aware that that one is a very culturally specific piece of advice! ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ lol so true^^^^

I'm gobsmacked at American serving sizes :open_mouth:

Their small sizes at McDonalds etc are our large sizes!
  • macr0babe
    macr0babe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    macr0babe wrote: »
    There literally IS such a thing as starvation mode @tpereira333

Congrats on your loss, btw!

Nah, it's a myth.

I was hospitalized about four years ago because of that myth.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Nah, it's a myth.

You were hospitalised because you ate so little your metabolism decreased to a point weight loss was impossible?

Or were you hospitalised because you starved yourself and had complications/fainted/collapse/delirious
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Nah, it's a myth.

From the OP: "your body holds onto fat if you don't eat enough as it goes into starvation mode"

No one disputes that a person can starve themselves and end up with health consequences as a result. But starvation mode, as referenced by OP, is a myth. Your body will not hold onto fat if you do not take in enough calories. You are discussing something other than what tpereira and the OP and SLLRunner were discussing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Foreigners are always surprised by our sizes. It is nice to get leftovers, though.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    If I ate three 100-calorie snacks between meals, that would be 600 calories or half my daily calorie allotment.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Lots of good common sense there!

I don't even debate empty sugar calories with people on this forum. Lost cause.

Good ideas in all that info as well.

I also have tried using lemon juice on a salad. Just ask the waiter for a lemon sliced. Not bad. Or just red wine vinegar. Pretty much nothing in either of those.

I'm grinding off the last 10 lbs of body fat.

I heard a long time ago that losing the first 100 pounds is practice for losing the last 10.

I think it is true. Every calorie counts! The ones we dont eat and the ones we burn off.

Best wishes on the last leg of your journey!
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I ate three 100-calorie snacks between meals, that would be 600 calories or half my daily calorie allotment.

That would be 300 calories... 3 x 100 = 300.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

That would be 600 calories . . . 3 x 100 = 300 between breakfast and lunch. 3 x 100 = 300 between lunch and dinner. 300 + 300 = 600.

Glad I could help you out with your arithmetic.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds (then gained four while on vacation) so am back at it again. I wanted to share some tips with you, that in my experience, has worked. It may not work for everyone but worked for me so wanted to share.

1) reducing sugar cuts out a ton of calories
    2) spices are a great way to add flavor to food without calories.
    3) eat lots of vegetables, fiber and lean protein...makes you feel full longer
    4) delay starting your "eating window" by an hour or two. So for example, eat breakfast at 8 or 9 instead of 7. The less hours in the day that you eat, the less you will eat.
    5) eat 2-3 snacks a day between meals but try to keep them at an average of 100 calories each
    6) if possible, exercise in conjunction with dieting. More calories burned=more calories you can eat. 7)never exercise hungry. Also when you exercise while on an empty stomach you're burning muscle instead of fat.
    8) don't eat less than 1,200 calories a day. 1,200 calories is necessary for proper nutrition and your body holds onto fat if you don't eat enough as it goes into starvation mode
    9) don't deprive yourself. Eat a cookie if you want it, but in moderation
    10) week two is the worst. In week one you'll lose a lot of weight (mostly water weight). Week two you'll likely not lose as much, might even gain. It'll even out though.
    11) "Fit" popcorn is the best snack
    12) sometimes if I feel like eating but am not very hungry I'll drink unsweetened herbal tea or chew gum
    13) every little bit counts. Cutting 10 calories in salad dressing choice or doing five more minutes of cardio makes a big difference over time.
    14) weigh yourself the same time every day (morning is best)
    15) try drinking water, unsweetened tea, or flavored carbonated water with meals instead of soda, milk, etc.
    16) measure food and try to stick to one "serving"
    17) salt has no calories but makes you retain water so make sure you're staying hydrated if eating a lot of salt
    18) swap Gatorade for coconut water after workouts. Much less calories, and it's healthier.
    18) beware of salads, especially in restaurants. Between the dressing, croutons, cheese and meat, there's often more calories in salad then another entree choice.
    19) at restaurants, ask for a to go box at the beginning of the meal and put half of your plate in there right away so you can save it for another time and won't be tempted to eat it all at once
    20) only eat until no longer hungry, not stuffed
    21) substitute scrambled eggs for egg whites or tofu scramble
    22) most of all, be consistent. Find a meal plan and work out schedule that works for you and stick to it
    23) make exercise fun - find a sport or activity you like, or work out with friends
    24) to lose weight, exercise (cardio) six times a week. To maintain, 3-4.
    25) on treadmills and ellipticals, increase the incline, it'll burn more calories.
    26) set goals and reward yourself. For example, buy yourself a new workout shirt (or whatever motivates you) after losing 10 pounds.

wow, so much bro science. OP I understand you are trying to be helpful, but this list is a little off the deep end.

Like why do you need six days of exercise do lose weight, and 3-4 to maintain. I only exercise four days a week during my cut but I still lose ten pounds, but according to you I did it wrong.

There is no need to cut sugar to lose weight, just cut back on ALL calories.

there is no such thing as starvation mode.

why does someone have to eat 2-3 snacks a day? Is this necessary…

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    how i lost 100 pounds. ate less than i burned.
    This. 112 pounds gone.

Starvation mode is a myth. Starvation isn't. They aren't the same thing.

• ndj1979
    Options

yea, if you eat nothing for a pro longed period of time, like three plus weeks….that is not what OP is referring to.
  • ndj1979
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lots of good common sense there!

I don't even debate empty sugar calories with people on this forum. Lost cause.

Good ideas in all that info as well.

I also have tried using lemon juice on a salad. Just ask the waiter for a lemon sliced. Not bad. Or just red wine vinegar. Pretty much nothing in either of those.

I'm grinding off the last 10 lbs of body fat.

I heard a long time ago that losing the first 100 pounds is practice for losing the last 10.

I think it is true. Every calorie counts! The ones we dont eat and the ones we burn off.

Best wishes on the last leg of your journey!

well yea, if you think broscience is common sense then I guess...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is my list:

enter stats into mfp
    eat to that number
    hit macors/micros
    realize no foods are bad
    get a food scale
    log accurately
    patience
    dedication
    find a form of exercise that one likes
    use correct MFP database entries
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Yes, there is, but many people think starvation mode means they won't lose weight, no matter how little they eat. That simply isn't possible. But we occasionally see posts on here from women who say they're period stopped due to under eating. That would be one example of the affects of starvation mode, because the body begins shutting down less life critical functions in order to keep the person alive while food isn't available.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

That would be 600 calories . . . 3 x 100 = 300 between breakfast and lunch. 3 x 100 = 300 between lunch and dinner. 300 + 300 = 600.
    {/quote]

Oops, after reading @ndj1979's remark, I realized I misread the original post - I missed the "a day" part. My humblest apologies.