Bad experience at the gym and feeling discouraged

Options
I like going to the gym and working out. I just dislike the attitudes of some people there and the competitive environment. I usually go to the gym late at night to avoid the crowds and it's usually the same people At my local gym. But lately there is a new group of people because a special price going on for new members. For example, a group of women would talk about everyone in the gym and very loudly. As if it is beauty contest in the gym. They even talked about me. When I work out I do sweat if I'm on the same fitness equipment for hour. I work out because I want to lose weight and I know I am fat. It gets very discouraging to have people judge you and you're trying so hard. I do have very low self esteem and things like this bother me probably more than most people.

Replies

• jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have heard great things about Curves. Do you have one in your area?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Please remember that their bullying is a reflection of them and not you. I would complain to management if you hear them again, as I believe you have the right to be in a pleasant environment.

You should be proud of your efforts - you are obviously working hard and making an effort to change. Please don't be discouraged by these women!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would report them also. I'm sure you won't be the only one complaining. Nobody needs to put up with that.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd be having a word to management if this is an ongoing thing. It's in the management's best interests to have people feeling comfortable in their gym.
  • leeyuhsee
    leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ugh. They sound creepy. What sort of decent human being does that?
    I'm sorry it made you feel bad. You have every right to get angry/complain!
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Please remember that their bullying is a reflection of them and not you. I would complain to management if you hear them again, as I believe you have the right to be in a pleasant environment.

You should be proud of your efforts - you are obviously working hard and making an effort to change. Please don't be discouraged by these women!

This!
  • blossomholly
    blossomholly Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    That's disgraceful, no one has the right to do that to you or others,you should defiantly report them or change gyms when your contract ends.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    report them. They are making the gym environment uncomfortable for you.
  • Numb5kull
    Numb5kull Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just be grateful that the things you want to improve about yourself are a work in progress. They need improvement on the inside, which is a far less likely achievement to ever be realized.

Just keep doing you.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    People judging others in the gym is the exact opposite of what they should be doing. These people are obviously insecure about themselves (hence the need to openly judge others, most likely speaking loudly so you hear them.)

Just report them. Besides, they are probably going to have quit the gym within a month after they get their "beach bodies" along side their detox programmes they spent stupid amounts of money on!
  • ariloz02
    ariloz02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to management but remember you're there for YOU!!! Be proud!!! :)
  • samantha0131
    samantha0131 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Aww hunny!! I'm sorry, I felt the same way went I went to the gym! I felt like the fat one and everyone is looking at me wondering why I am here, even tho it is obvious!
    Remember one thing!!!
    Weight is a number and it can come off, but bad attitudes and manners don't change!! There is always going to be those people who love to judge other people and it sucks!!
    I have a hate/love relationship with the gym, I like what they have but i always hated feeling like I was being judge, so I go on walks now and been working it off.
    I know I shouldn't care either but we do, so now I just keep to myself and do my own thing.
    I even do workouts at home (YouTube) and participate in a lot of online activities so I interact with People who motivate me and I can help motivate them!!
    You're doing great!! You're trying every day!! Keep having faith in yourself, we will show the world we can do this! Hugs!!!
  • heidyballer
    heidyballer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! Shame on them! That is truly discusting. Please know that I am sooo proud of you.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'd be judging them that they are standing around talking crap about people rather than sorting themselves out. Then again you can lose the weight, they'll always be b!tches!
  • Emmatyan
    Emmatyan Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just always remember my mother. She is overweight and doesn't take any care about her appearance at all, but she's always so eager to judge the slightest flaws in other people.
    People are there in the gym to work as hard as they can and sweat, and if they don't, it means they are wasting time there.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Take your phone along a couple of times and record their comments. Then play it for management. Usually there is an employee of the gym around---haven't they been listening to this group? You have every right to train in peace. Best. B)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Report them.

If that doesn't give you enough satisfaction, walk up to them and tell them to go **** themselves.

But I'd try reporting them first. You deserve to be there as much as anyone... and you know that. Frankly if you can ignore them or laugh at them that would be stronger medicine for you. Double down and do your own thing. They'll disappear soon enough.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    What a pack of evil biatches
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Wear your sweat with pride. It's proof that you are working hard to mould your body into something new. If these women after their 'workout' barely have a hair out of place or a smudge in their makeup then they are wasting their time and money being there. Don't waste yours by being putting off doing your thing because of their narrow-mindedness.
  • Onyx1303
    Onyx1303 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Be proud of your sweat, you earned it!!!!! But yeah I would definitely report them as well absolutely disgraceful, they should be getting their buts moving instead of standing and gossiping.