Options
13»

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    deceived1 wrote: »
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Weigh your foods. Chances are much more likely than you're overeating rather than underexercising.

On 6/23 on her diary she put: *You've earned 1,741 extra calories from exercise today. I highly, highly doubt that's accurate. She's definitely double dipping from standard daily energy expenditure and combining that with actual exercise calories (I'm pretty sure).

EDIT: I will say that she didn't EAT all of those back. But still, I think it's worth pointing out.

Yeah, 1700 calories exercising doesn't compute. For comparison, a 10K run for me nets me about 975 calories, and that's a very good workout for me. I'm six foot three and 41 years old.
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the important all the help everyone, I think I'm getting this lol
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you're working out hard make certain you're not overeating your workouts. These electronic devices, including MFP and machines have a history of overestimating calories burned. So it's never a good idea to eat more than 1/2 calories burned back.

Good luck--remember--it's just calories in versus calories out.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    honestly some of the things in that excersize database are just.. ridiculous.
    I've seen people log cleaning and burning almost 800 calories from it apparently.
    Even when i wore a heart rate monitor i still always halfed my burned calories.
    But even some things in that database, CMON... 800 calories burned from cleaning, if people aren't questioning that there is something wrong lol

I don't think any of estimated calories in the database can be trusted. A few months back, I was out hiking all day (8+ hours). A decent portion of it involved some steep inclines/declines but the majority was your basic hiking through woods, hilly terrain, flat paths, etc. I wear my HRM when I hike. I know enough not to think that it's super accurate, but it gives me a much better ballpark number to work with.
    My HRM told me I burned 1,900 calories. MFP told me I burned over 4,000.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Yep I don't even record calories for activities like cleaning or moving boxes. I only consider my actually cardio on an actual machine as exercise and even then I only eat back about 25% of what the machine tells me I burn and I have maintained the same weight in spite of working out at the gym for 6 months (on purpose - doing recomp not gains or losses)
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    hearthwood wrote: »
    If you're working out hard make certain you're not overeating your workouts. These electronic devices, including MFP and machines have a history of overestimating calories burned. So it's never a good idea to eat more than 1/2 calories burned back.

Good luck--remember--it's just calories in versus calories out.

I've been eating typically 80-90 percent of my exercise calories back and I've been losing at a pace I've been pretty pleased with. However, I think I've been compensating by 1) overestimating my caloric intake (e.g., always rounding up where I can) and 2) not including nonsignificant exercise
  • l8knut
    l8knut Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me, it helped in the beginning to not eat my excercise calories. I never had more than 500 anyway. That way I was assured that I was in a deficit. I'm trying to make this easy and fun this time and so far it's working. I only excercise 3 days a week for 30 min and it makes a big difference. Now I add in my excercise calories, but usually don't use them anyway. Just training my mind. I always go over on the weekends but make up for that during the week. Just adapting this to my lifestyle is what it'sall about. If I can do this, anyone can!
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Weighing everything now. Now that I know how lol. We'll see what happens. Looking for some good DVDs workouts that might be good. Hopefully I find some good ones.