Protein Bars

Options

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Cliff Builders have more sugar (21g) than protein (20g) plus 10g fat. I'm not hating on them, but they're not an efficient source of protein.
  • WheyistheWay
    WheyistheWay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Reviews of the ones I've tried:

Quest bars - Basically perfect macro and taste wise.

Promax - Decent taste, decent protein, but absolutely full of sugar. I have yet to try their lower-carb/sugar bars that recently came out.

ThinkThin bars - Good but a little light for a tall male such as myself. A good snack for shorter/female protein bar eaters.

• floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    First and foremost - i'd choose a yummy piece of chicken breast or grilled salmon over a protein bar any day. Use as a supplement only - to supplement your diet when lacking.

Actually, I plan to eat one in between lunch and dinner. I need something to hold me in between meals. I figured a protein bar would be a good idea.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Always Quest.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm also partial to Quest, the Mint Chocolate Chunk is the only one I would ever eat. I also agree that protein from real food can't be beat, but for someone who is always craving something sweet like a candy bar, a Quest bar is a good alternative FOR ME. So on the drive home after work, I will take a few bites from the Quest bar and feel satisfied. They are expensive, at least $2.75 a bar where I live. If you have the know how, give it a go at making some homemade ones.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    First and foremost - i'd choose a yummy piece of chicken breast or grilled salmon over a protein bar any day. Use as a supplement only - to supplement your diet when lacking.

Actually, I plan to eat one in between lunch and dinner. I need something to hold me in between meals. I figured a protein bar would be a good idea.

I often do this. Quest bars keep me full the longest.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are incredible.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

I often do this. Quest bars keep me full the longest.

I do this also! And fully agree.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Quest bars are awesome but expensive. I buy Pure Protein bars at Costco for about $1 a bar or less if they're on sale. They have 20g protein without all of the extra sugar and fat (about 200 calories).

This
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I pack protein bars or a pre-packaged protein shake in my bag for emergencies. As in avoiding French fries after a workout. Hubby and I now have a habit of sharing a protein shake after spending an afternoon at the pool.

I like the Simply Protein bars as they are a little lighter on the calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I go with Pure Protein bars from Walmart. They're reasonably priced ($1.16~ per bar from a 6 pack box), lowish in calories (180 per 50 g from chocolate deluxe), and reasonable protein (21 g per 50 g chocolate deluxe bar). Yes, they have sugar alcohols in them that might give you stomach problems (took me a bit to get used to them). I haven't found any other bars that are comparable in weight that aren't higher in calories (270) with same protein (21 g). Price is also an issue for me.
  • BeFitBri2
    BeFitBri2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Quest bars and Muscle Pharm Combat Crunch bars.(:
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The tastiest ones I've had were Balance Bar in Lemon Meringue Crunch. I think they're about 200 calories and 15g protein, so it's not a huge amount of protein, but not a bad substitute if you were otherwise going to just have a candy bar or something.
  • macr0babe
    macr0babe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Protein from real food > Protein from powder > Homemade protein bars > Store bought protein bars

Agreed, but sometimes it's easier to grab a bar at the store.
    Disagree, protein is protein. Eating MEAT is good for protein, fat, and essential amino acids; however all sources of protein count at the end of the day. Whether from legumes, meat, store bought bars, or wherever, as long as you're GETTING protein, that's what really counts.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    macr0babe wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Protein from real food > Protein from powder > Homemade protein bars > Store bought protein bars

Agreed, but sometimes it's easier to grab a bar at the store.
    Disagree, protein is protein. Eating MEAT is good for protein, fat, and essential amino acids; however all sources of protein count at the end of the day. Whether from legumes, meat, store bought bars, or wherever, as long as you're GETTING protein, that's what really counts.

This is not exactly true.

20 g of protein from one bar/powder isn't always going to be equivalent to 20 g of protein of another bar/powder (or meat for argument's sake).

Some companies use protein spikers, which register as protein if lab tested, but they are actually amino fillers such as glycine and not true protein.

Be wary of anything ending in -ine on your label.

To close... a lot of people either cannot fathom it, or simply don't want to admit it... But protein bars and protein powder are processed fast foods. The connection that these protein supplements have with fitness gurus and bodybuilders paints these products in a positive light, but if McDonalds sold it to is first in a shake, we would have a drastically different opinion about them as a society.

There is nothing wrong with using these supplements sparingly out of convenience. However, if you're relying on powders/bars every single day to hit your protein macro then you should probably look to correcting your diet. Whole foods are far more comprehensive and nutritious overall. Whole protein is more bioavailable, provides more BCAAs, carries additional dietary fats (which most people lack), tastes better and costs less on average.

If you want to be sucking your protein out of a plastic tub or wrapper for the rest of your life, then be my guest. But DO NOT ever assert that protein is protein without being able to back up your assertion with logic and common sense.
  • kristenFit
    kristenFit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For a treat, Cut quest bar into eight pieces, put on cookie sheet with parchment paper. 325 degree oven 3 min. Press with fork, cook another 3 min...of amazing. Even a 1/2 batch is amazing
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    kristenFit wrote: »
    For a treat, Cut quest bar into eight pieces, put on cookie sheet with parchment paper. 325 degree oven 3 min. Press with fork, cook another 3 min...of amazing. Even a 1/2 batch is amazing

So youre recommending to melt a quest bar for 6 min in an oven to make it taste better?

K....
  • liftlovelunge
    liftlovelunge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth so protein bars essentially replace candy/chocolate bars for me. I eat Quest and Pure Protein. When I feel like splurging I'll have a CLIF Builder's bar (much higher in calories and sugar). I do struggle to hit my protein goals most days, so it works for me.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kristenFit wrote: »

Like a cookie? I'll have to try that.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Quest bars are awesome but expensive. I buy Pure Protein bars at Costco for about $1 a bar or less if they're on sale. They have 20g protein without all of the extra sugar and fat (about 200 calories).

This

I agree on the price, but they taste a bit more artificial. At least the ones I have had were sweetened with artificial sweetener (which is fine I am not one of those people), but it had a chemically taste imho.