I just deleted a bunch of friends.

Options
124»

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love my MFP friends and am sad when they drift away. I understand though, we all need a break sometimes.

Feel free to add me! I love new friends. :)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    wwstewart wrote: »
    Why? Because they lost their drive. They haven't logged in in a few months.

The truth is that seeing people who have logged in for 100+ days is extremely motivating to me, because it *almost* feels like a competition.

So...if you want to be motivational, then shoot me a friend request.

So many people just vanish and quit. That is just how it is.
  • tealskater
    tealskater Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was thinking about this very issue earlier - I have been a bit (well, a lot!) off-track lately, and was having a look through my friends list. I was quite shocked by how many had not logged in for months. I was thinking I should have a clear out - but then don't want to end up with no support. It's not the length of streak that matters - it's turning up once in a while!! So, if any motivational people out there want to add me, I am up for some mutual support! :)
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't delete anyone. They might come back some day and need some motivation and support. They might be on vacation etc.. I just don't see the need to delete people,It's not like they are taking up air being on my friend's list.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    I don't delete anyone. They might come back some day and need some motivation and support. They might be on vacation etc.. I just don't see the need to delete people,It's not like they are taking up air being on my friend's list.

I don't delete people either because like you said, they might come back!

• tealskater
    tealskater Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    Yoshirio wrote: »

I don't delete people either because like you said, they might come back!
    I must agree - I struggle with the thought of deleting people, as they do often come back, and - lets face it - we all have stuff going on in our lives that can take over. I guess for me, it's about replacing those who have disappeared to get more support, and hoping the old ones come back over time for extra support!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    it's not the interaction that motivates me, it's seeing that others are fighting for their goals. That motivates me to fight because if they can do it, there shouldn't be a reason that I can't do it as well.

I've seen this expressed a bunch of times on the main forums and it's a valid concern for many. But I don't really understand why it's not possible to get the benefits described above by just reading the main forums. There's a lot of muck to wade through maybe, but the success stories and great examples of continued discipline with good results are all over the forums.
    Why have friends who aren't ever there?

Imaginary friends on the internet really aren't there. They're just words on a screen. The good thing about perusing the forums is that for as many people who go, there are always more coming and the success stories multiply. Maybe it's just me and has something to do with my age group, but forming attachments to imaginary computer friends is not the best idea. But to each his own.

TIL that none of my friends here are real. Well that's unfortunate. Guess I had to find out sometime. They certainly have made up elaborate backstories to convince me they were real.
    Er no, I guess since they aren't real people just words on a screen that means this is some sort of fake friend computer program? Is it all just robots messing with us?
    Wait, I too am an internet friend....DEAR GOD AM I REAL? AM I A COMPUTER PROGRAM?

I had brunch on Sunday with 5 people I met on here a few years ago. All you can eat Brazilian BBQ, it was glorious. It must have been a delusion though, I should make an appointment. I'm not sure what to make about the gatherings in Chicago or Vegas by 12+ people that met on here to run tough mudders though. That's one helluva' group delusion. Oh well, I guess it's time for some Welbutin or something.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    magerum wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    it's not the interaction that motivates me, it's seeing that others are fighting for their goals. That motivates me to fight because if they can do it, there shouldn't be a reason that I can't do it as well.

I've seen this expressed a bunch of times on the main forums and it's a valid concern for many. But I don't really understand why it's not possible to get the benefits described above by just reading the main forums. There's a lot of muck to wade through maybe, but the success stories and great examples of continued discipline with good results are all over the forums.
    Why have friends who aren't ever there?

Imaginary friends on the internet really aren't there. They're just words on a screen. The good thing about perusing the forums is that for as many people who go, there are always more coming and the success stories multiply. Maybe it's just me and has something to do with my age group, but forming attachments to imaginary computer friends is not the best idea. But to each his own.

TIL that none of my friends here are real. Well that's unfortunate. Guess I had to find out sometime. They certainly have made up elaborate backstories to convince me they were real.
    Er no, I guess since they aren't real people just words on a screen that means this is some sort of fake friend computer program? Is it all just robots messing with us?
    Wait, I too am an internet friend....DEAR GOD AM I REAL? AM I A COMPUTER PROGRAM?

I had brunch on Sunday with 5 people I met on here a few years ago. All you can eat Brazilian BBQ, it was glorious. It must have been a delusion though, I should make an appointment. I'm not sure what to make about the gatherings in Chicago or Vegas by 12+ people that met on here to run tough mudders though. That's one helluva' group delusion. Oh well, I guess it's time for some Welbutin or something.

Crap, does that mean I need to give back my TM headband, since I'm not real and they aren't real and it was all just a dream? I KNEW those pre-run Tim Tams were too good to be true. Oh well, it was nice not-knowing you guys. But, wait, what does it say about me when all of my favorite imaginary friends are *kitten*?

OP: I am super sad that I can never be your friend. Over the summer I regularly have my logging streak start over because I'm in the woods for days. Or maybe I need to start backpacking in my yard instead of going to places with no reception? I mean, that would certainly be less work.

I have some people on my list who haven't logged in in a LONG time. It's fine, they'll be back. It's just something they do. And, you know, I like them whether or not they are "fighting for their goals" right then at that moment. Life just isn't so black and white, sometimes things happen. I'm not so perfect that I feel like I can expect that of everyone else.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you guys are active, feel free to add me. I enjoy seeing real progress!
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm at 1200 and something days and have found that a bunch of my friends have fallen by the wayside.
    Looking for a few motivated, smart, funny friends to see me through to the end.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm at 180. I'm pretty slow with the hook and will drop a line to them to see if they still have a pulse before deleting. If you need a new supporting friend please add.
  • wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Man, if you think friends online aren't real, then you should see all of the fake people that you know IRL. They aren't real either.

What have I started? Hahaha.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    not me- I don't always log in every day but I am working at my fitness goals every day. I have had personal crisis that caused me not to prioritize logging in and came back with most of my friends gone. I have friends to stay accountable and I cheer them on as well. But It's not a competition for me.
  • tiffa77
    tiffa77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I log in almost hourly at work and sometimes i will forget on the weekends but i always make sure to put the info in asap. with help from others and seeing just how well they are doing i know that i can remember to be on here more. please add me if you so choose to.