How do people run without water?

Options
13»

Replies

• Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I swear I must have the world's smallest bladder. If I drink water during a run, I have to pee halfway through. Which is unfortunate, Because My halfway point is over a mile and a half from my house, with nowhere to go in between (well, there is the state mental hospital or route back, but no thanks, I'll hold it in). So I run without water, because it's just a few miles, and I can drink to my hearts content when I get home. I also try to run early or late, when the sun isn't trying to kill me.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I run a lot without water. Just been that way since I was young. Oddly, when I play tennis though I do small sips on each change over.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I carry a water bottle on my long runs, but I don't drink. I just swish it around in my mouth and spit every few miles. It's gross, but it keeps my mouth and lips from drying out.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I can manage 10k without liquids, anything above that and I need liquid. I wouldn't run with water for anything less than 10k. I also always carry a little money to stop and buy a bottle of water or something like that if I'm desperate.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I'll only carry water on runs of 90 minutes or more when the weather is hot and even then it's usually just a few sips as I hate feeling of water sloshing around in my stomach. When I'm racing anything longer than a 10K I'll get water from at least one of the aid stations and take a few sips.

It's interesting that the old school marathoners did deprivation training (no water, no nutrition) and we didn't have runners dying from dehydration, with our current culture of hyper-hydration we have runners dying from hyponatremia...........makes you think.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I carry a small bottle of water in a shirt pouch on my back, and I need it especially when the air is dry as it's currently over 40C/102F, after sunset. If I don't drink then my throat, and actually also my eyes dry out, which is rather unpleasant.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I don't run with water unless I'm planning to be out for more than an hour, or if it's really hot.
  • kristinareisinger
    kristinareisinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I run without water. I can run at least 10km without needing a water break unless it's super, super hot out. But I also know where there are public water fountains if I do need water. I know some people who will do their long runs in loops around their cars or houses where they stop for water.

Exactly.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    They probably hydrate a lot during the day. I drink 5-6 16.8oz bottles a day and never drink during runs or any type of exercise.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Exactly what others have said. If you're hydrated beforehand, you're fine. When I'm practicing yoga I do bring water in with me and just take small sips and that's it. To use an analogy, you dry out a plant and suddenly water it, the water is going to go right through but if you water it slowly it will absorb. Drink mouthfuls of water throughout the day and you'll be hydrated properly.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people here in NYC running without water. I always just think "How???". I always carry a bottle with me and I wonder why I see very few others with bottles too.

How does this happen?

As long as it's not over hot 90 mins or so without water is pretty straightforward and doesn't effect performance. I frequently run those sort of times without water. Sometimes people get a bit carried away with Hydration everyone is different though
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I run not long after I wake up so I'm not hydrated enough to not take a bottle with me. If I drink just before I run, I get really bad stitches - which I don't get if I drink midway through my run. I pant through my mouth so my mouth dries out quickly even though it's only a 35 minute run.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't run, I walk but I don't carry water with me. I stay well hydrated during the day and, if it is hot out and I think my mouth is going to get a little dry, I always keep some gum in my pocket. I then drink up when I get home.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    I always run with a bottle of water, it makes no difference for me how much i've had throughout the rest of the day leading up it (I run in the evenings), I still need water while running, that's just how my body works.

Yea same here....& thanks for the tips guys. I won't be checking this anymore, so someone can close the thread if they want.

you must be new to the internet. LOL

I don't run with water- I'd be comfortable for up to 10 miles without it. I'm assuming on my half there will be water stations- considering they have them for 5's and 10's - I expect to be able to slosh water in my face and be good to go. lol
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I carry water for runs over 90 minutes. The trick is making sure I plan routes with sufficient refill opportunities AFTER I will likely empty my bottle. All of my favorite normal routes wind through areas with few commercial areas after the first 4 miles. Nothing worse than being a mile or two away from the next water opportunity and being thirsty.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    As long as you are well hydrated prior to the run, you don't need any if the run is an hour or less, unless it's a scorcher out.

This is how I feel. I don't generally run more than 5 miles at a time. I also don't run outside if it's scorching out either. I can't stand to feel water jiggling around in my stomach while I'm running.