Strava giving HUGE calorie burns? (Running)

KNoceros
KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Curious to see how fast I'm actually going (answer - quicker than I thought, but not very), I've just used Strava to log my run.
I'm new to running and working my way through the C25K program, so currently doing about 50:50 walk/run

Well, I was v pleased when it told me I was averaging 7.4km/h, but when it synced with MFP the exercise entry came up as "running in place" and the burn was approx 250 kCal which seems way too much.
If I manually put the walk and run in separately it comes up more like 170.
Anyone else found this discrepancy and which figure did you believe?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    About 200-250 isn't too far out for early stages of C25K. By week 4 you'll be up to around 300.

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    edited June 2015
    Have a look at the map of your run in strava. I used that quite some time ago and was so pleased that it had my average speed at something like 12km/h.
    When I actually looked at the route it had logged it had me spiking all over the place. It basically added in a huge amount of extra distance for the time I had run. Therefore giving me much better calorie burn than I actually did.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    About 200-250 isn't too far out for early stages of C25K. By week 4 you'll be up to around 300.

Agreed. If you are concerned, only eat back half of your exercise calories.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Ok, thanks guys - I'll believe Strava then.

It initially seemed a big difference but a bit of maths showed that I was being a bit mean with my estimate of speed on my manual entry.

I generally eat back about 2/3 of my exercise calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Curious to see how fast I'm actually going (answer - quicker than I thought, but not very), I've just used Strava to log my run.
    I'm new to running and working my way through the C25K program, so currently doing about 50:50 walk/run

Well, I was v pleased when it told me I was averaging 7.4km/h, but when it synced with MFP the exercise entry came up as "running in place" and the burn was approx 250 kCal which seems way too much.
    If I manually put the walk and run in separately it comes up more like 170.
    Anyone else found this discrepancy and which figure did you believe?

Strava has no way of knowing you're walking, unless you tell it.

So tell it.

:drinker: