Do you feel like you're fit?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    10411999_924345297602710_7045425251850854528_n.jpg?oh=50fd9c1b30b084f103a908c186bcb494&oe=562D6A88
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    For me it has always had to do with how I perform athletically, and not so much with how I look physically. When I consider myself fit I usually have very good endurance and lots of energy and explosiveness when doing physical activity. Of course there is always room for improvement.
  • Pittleydink
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I got this off the lean gains site…might give you something to go by:

Respective goals for women:

For women in the 115-155-lb range, the corresponding advanced strength goals are 0.9 x body weight bench, 1.1 x body weight chin-up, 1.5 x body weight squat and 1.8 x body weight deadlift. Relative to men, women have much less muscle mass around the chest area and shoulder girdle (men have much higher androgen-receptor density in this particular area), but the lower body is comparativly strong to the upper body.

A 135-lb woman that has been training consistently for 5-10 years should then be expected to:

Bench press 120-125 lbs.
    Do 4-5 chin-ups with body weight or do one with an extra 10-15 lbs hanging from her waist.
    Squat 200-205 lbs.
    Deadlift 225-230 lbs.

This is only relative to strength though. There are so many more aspects to being fit that could/should be considered, in addition to weight lifting numbers. Not everyone is a bodybuilder or weight lifter.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I consider myself to be fit. I'm very lean, am a better than average athlete (nothing special, but better than average person my age), am strong, and have great endurance. Now, have I arrived at some ultimate fitness plateau? Absolutely not. I view fitness as a lifetime endeavor and will never be satisfied...its just not my personality. Always aim to go faster, farther, higher, lift heavier, etc.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    compared to myself 30 days ago, yes! I live on the 3rd floor and i was SO out of breath when I'd get to the top, now, I am totally fine! I also can do it faster. Also when I am working out (specifically this one video I really like) I can EASILY do knees lifts so fast and easy. When I first started my leg felt like dead weight. I remember about a week ago, I did a leg lift and remember thinking how easy my leg just lifted right up! I was impressed with myself. I can also kick a lot higher too (measuring by the tv stand height)! I can't wait to be that much more fit! :)
  • Pittleydink
    edited June 2015
    This could be looked at in many different ways, strength, endurance, athleticism, physical appearance, health numbers, etc. I suppose it depends on who you ask.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    This is hilarious to me. By all outward appearances, I'm fit as Fu(k. I have a lot of cuts and muscle development. But you put me on a treadmill or some sort of group class? Better have a barf bag waiting next to me. I'd likely puke. Or pass out. So in short, no, I do not feel fit.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    exersise, wise, i can walk a 10k at over 3.5 miles an hour,and can go farther. I can lift more then most people i know. I never plan on being ultra bulky, but i am always trying to improve myself.

Weight wise, I still have about 20-30 ponds to go, out of 130 already lost.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What is it that tells you you're fit?

Ignoring hard metrics I can tell I'm fit because I can do all the things I want to do, whether that's turning a planned 10km run into 21km (a half marathon) because it's a lovely day out and I've got the time, or doing a mountain trail run, cycling 55km, digging in the garden all day, always ready and eager to get out there and do things without worrying about whether I can do it / keep up / will get tired / etc.

I still have some more weight to lose, but I'm fit already with room for growth there too. That's one of the big bonuses of working out from day one - you can get the fitness reward long before reaching goal weight.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    When I'm doing body weight stuff or cardio, no. I don't feel that fit. When I'm lifting, yes. I also feel fit when I'm walking down the street. Mostly because my posture is better and there are some muscles showing now.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I do - I feel fit for the first time in a very long time - that's based on my stamina, my energy levels, and what I can now do with my body (stairs, push ups, etc). That said, I'm not as fit as I want to be :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I know I am fit when I am continuing to improve in some area: my lifts, my running, my tennis.
    If you want to get relative about it, I have no idea where I stand next to the general population. I am not the fastest guy in the world, but I am okay. Younger people heal from injuries faster than I do. Some older people run farther than I do......But I understand those things and do not especially care.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,864 Member
    Since I started exercising, I've lost 50 lbs. and 6+ inches off my waist; before, I got exhausted hauling myself up a flight of stairs, now I'm not winded at all despite carrying half my body weight; before, my joints hurt all the time, now my knee only flares up occasionally if I sit for too long.

Bottom line is I'm fit compared to who I was. And I like it!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Much fitter than I was, nowhere near I would love to be though! It depends on who I'm with though--

When I feel fit--Out and about with my female colleagues and the local population of the area I live in and the Chinese grandmas waving their arms about in odd patterns, I'm arguably the fittest, and the least afraid of sweat. My male colleagues are all pretty fit, so I can't judge myself against them. Though I probably would be within the top contenders (male and female) if asked who were the top 5 fittest people on staff.

When I don't feel fit--When I'm at the gym and around some of the instructors and those of the like. Who could probably pick me up and throw me without a thought. And I'm talking about the women here. :lol: Or when I have to take the low option when others are still doing the high option.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I feel fitter now as I approach 60 than when I was 40, I sure couldn't run 21 km back then or consider an Olympic Duathlon and my resting HR wasn't 48........
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What is it that tells you you're fit?

Depends on the criteria.
    - Can you do the things you need to do in daily life with NO problems / exertion; do you have tons of energy for necessary and leisure activities
    - If you're in a competition of some kind, obviously there are some standards there; other athletes
    - Standards like this: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
    - Blood tests, medical indicators (ie you're not sick)
    - Do you generally feel great; would you say you're at your optimal level of health and well-being

I'm not really fit by any of those :/
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Probably one of the best ways to measure fitness is by your resting heart rate. Mines now under 50bpm, meaning your heart can do more with less because it's conditioned. To me, that's "fit"; not based upon buldging muscles. Good muscle tone pretty much goes along with all of the things you'd be doing to lower that RHR anyway, though.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    I'm fit because the Army says so. I pass all the required physical training tests and height/weight measurements. BUT I feel like i am the best shape of my life.

I've seen guys who were so out of shape pass what used to be the the battle fitness test...

When I was in the Canadian army we had to walk 13k with webbing/weapon and ruck then turn around the next day and walk 16k with just webbing and weapon and do a 50meter fireman carry and run 1 mile do some push ups and bam...you were fit for duty.

It also depends on the job. Special Forces, Rangers, infantry folks will always be in shape. Support units, ehhh not so much.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I think I am pretty close to being fit, I weight lift and walk 6 miles (5-6 days a week). I really don't have much goals except to lift heavier and to continue getting stronger. Now if there were zombie apocalypse I would be in trouble!! ;)
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    I do! I have been going to the gym on a consistent basis for 2 years. I did little exercise actually outside... most of it was at the gym. I remembered trying to go for a run outside about a year ago. I could barely make it 2k without dying. A few weeks ago I decided to try running again. I was unable to make it to the gym that day and it was nice out... so I decided to give it a go. I ran a 5k without any problems!

Also, I have noticed that I increased my speed on the elliptical. I used to do 4 mph for my fastest and 2 for my cool downs. Then I upped it to 5 and 4 and now I run 6 mph and do about a 4.3 (the slowest it can go without running) for "cool-downs" :D