Do you feel like you're fit?

Options
12346»

Replies

• pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do! I have been going to the gym on a consistent basis for 2 years. I did little exercise actually outside... most of it was at the gym. I remembered trying to go for a run outside about a year ago. I could barely make it 2k without dying. A few weeks ago I decided to try running again. I was unable to make it to the gym that day and it was nice out... so I decided to give it a go. I ran a 5k without any problems!

Also, I have noticed that I increased my speed on the elliptical. I used to do 4 mph for my fastest and 2 for my cool downs. Then I upped it to 5 and 4 and now I run 6 mph and do about a 4.3 (the slowest it can go without running) for "cool-downs" :D
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    no
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I don't think resting heart rate is a good measure! Some people naturally have high resting heart rates, even if they're very fit. I just had this conversation with a doctor the other day.

I measure my fitness progressively. I don't think I'm objectively fit compared to some other people, but compared to what I used to be, I'm much fitter. I plan to keep working on it. The way I see it, there's always going to be a new goal I want to reach, so I don't know that I'll ever think of myself as having arrived at fitness since I'll always be reaching. I'm okay with that.

When I WAS fit, my RHR would be in the low to mid 60s. It's down from the 80s now. So for me, my current RHR is indicative of crappy fitness.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I have minimum strength, flexibility and speed standards that I would want to be within shouting distance of. Excepting being injured, of course.

Sometimes training focus in one area can detract from another, but I shouldn't get so far away from certain things that a concerted effort on a specific quality for 2-4 weeks won't get me back.

But yeah, by my own standards I'm pretty fit. If you define general fitness as hitting certain minimum levels in certain key qualities, I suppose.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, and thanks for asking!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    No but I'm probably fitter than the average 40 something woman and certainly fitter than I was 2 years ago!
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Fitness is defined by the task or activity the individual seeks to pursue.

An Olympic wrestling champion would be considered fit for that event. However, he probably wouldn't be considered fit for platform diving.

It's a matter of determining what your goals are in terms of activity and proficiency level before you can define what fit would be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    I'm fit because the Army says so. I pass all the required physical training tests and height/weight measurements. BUT I feel like i am the best shape of my life.

I've seen guys who were so out of shape pass what used to be the the battle fitness test...

When I was in the Canadian army we had to walk 13k with webbing/weapon and ruck then turn around the next day and walk 16k with just webbing and weapon and do a 50meter fireman carry and run 1 mile do some push ups and bam...you were fit for duty.

It also depends on the job. Special Forces, Rangers, infantry folks will always be in shape. Support units, ehhh not so much.

very true
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am most definitely "fit" even though I'm still overweight. Doesn't mean I can't improve, but by every health measure, I am fit.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't think resting heart rate is a good measure! Some people naturally have high resting heart rates, even if they're very fit. I just had this conversation with a doctor the other day.

I measure my fitness progressively. I don't think I'm objectively fit compared to some other people, but compared to what I used to be, I'm much fitter. I plan to keep working on it. The way I see it, there's always going to be a new goal I want to reach, so I don't know that I'll ever think of myself as having arrived at fitness since I'll always be reaching. I'm okay with that.

When I WAS fit, my RHR would be in the low to mid 60s. It's down from the 80s now. So for me, my current RHR is indicative of crappy fitness.

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule of course. But in general, it's a great measure of cardiovascular fitness. Mine went from 84 to mid 50's.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there are objective measurements for fitness? Run 5 miles or 10 miles? Lift x weight, do Y pressups?
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 46 and still plug in a good workout and am lean but fitness is more than just physical appearance. My cardio isn't what it used to be but then again I don't stretch my cardiovascular fitness like I did when I swam and played sports constantly. I am definitely stronger than I was. So, yes, I consider myself fit but a different fit than I was in my younger years.