Gonna start lifting weights,..... but scared i'm gonna overeat!

Options
ExRelaySprinter
ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Well, i'm finally going to start lifting weights - after toying with the idea for some time.
But in the past, whenever i've done some kind of weight lifting i.e Kettlebells....i'm always ravenous afterwards and then end up eating anything in sight! (Cardio doesn't effect me like this).
Even after helping to move around heavy furniture the other day, i literally could've eaten a Horse!
I also plan to cut down my Cardio from 5 times a week to 3, so won't have that to "fall back on" anymore (re: burning extra calories).
Am i right in thinking lifting doesn't burn as many calories as Cardio?
Does anyone else eat loads after lifting?
I want to build Muscle, but still stay relatively the same weight (Recomp).
Any Tips, Advice etc. welcomed.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein

0.64 to 0.82g protein per lb bodyweight minimum

and fat 0.35g per lb of bodyweight

I get ravenous the day after a good workout normally
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes, i've been trying to add more Protein to my meals actually!
    I'll start looking at adding more Fat now as well (practically ignored it in the past).
    So on your ravenous days, how do you cope?
    How much more would you eat on those days, compared to your "normal" eating days?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    More protein will help keep you fuller. I eat 150+ grams a day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes, i've been trying to add more Protein to my meals actually!
    I'll start looking at adding more Fat now as well (practically ignored it in the past).
    So on your ravenous days, how do you cope?
    How much more would you eat on those days, compared to your "normal" eating days?

During workouts I drink a vitamin / mineral electrolyte balancing drink. I ensure I'm adequately hydrated but tbh I just eat more

I'm generally less hungry on other days so eat less then and I average over the week

TBH I'm in maintenance so it's much easier now .. sometimes though it was just a matter of willpower
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm always ravenous after lifting. Literally before I leave the gym I'm starving and yep it's something that doesn't happen on cardio days. I have found that if I get some protein in right after I lift, I'm less likely to want to go home and eat all the food in the house.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - what program are you going to be running?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Stronglifts 5x5 was recommended.
  • ndj1979
    Options

ok, that is a good beginner program.

As far as feeling hungry, what is your calorie intake going to be? Is that number maintenance, deficit, etc?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options

I have been doing this program and I love it! Just this morning I did day one of week five. I am amazed at my own performance and the results are awesome.

Yes... to echo others... protein! All you can get LOL! And healthy fats.

My calorie target is set low but I am building it up slowy along with my numbers but if you're going to do strong lifts you'll have to adjust your calories.

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Well, i'm finally going to start lifting weights - after toying with the idea for some time.
    But in the past, whenever i've done some kind of weight lifting i.e Kettlebells....i'm always ravenous afterwards and then end up eating anything in sight! (Cardio doesn't effect me like this).
    Even after helping to move around heavy furniture the other day, i literally could've eaten a Horse!
    I also plan to cut down my Cardio from 5 times a week to 3, so won't have that to "fall back on" anymore (re: burning extra calories).
    Am i right in thinking lifting doesn't burn as many calories as Cardio?
    Does anyone else eat loads after lifting?
    I want to build Muscle, but still stay relatively the same weight (Recomp).
    Any Tips, Advice etc. welcomed.

Some people say this is due to lack of protien, while others will say this is a lack of fiber.
    my suggestion would be mix protein shake ( 30grams) with Fiber ( 20 grams) and drink it while you are working out.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options

As far as feeling hungry, what is your calorie intake going to be? Is that number maintenance, deficit, etc?

My TDEE is around 1900/2000 (but that's with 5 Cardio workouts a week) and yes i'm maintaining now.
    That's the thing, i was confident in the fact i could easily eat 1900+ per day and the Cardio would "cover it".
    Now,..... i'm a bit worried. Lol
  • deviiv
    deviiv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Preparation- you're hungry because your body needs/needed fuel.

I eat a small meal to get myself through the session and have something with my protein shake afterwards.
  • ndj1979
    Options

My TDEE is around 1900/2000 (but that's with 5 Cardio workouts a week) and yes i'm maintaining now.
    That's the thing, i was confident in the fact i could easily eat 1900+ per day and the Cardio would "cover it".

are you going to keep doing cardio? if yes, how many days per week?

strong lifts is a three day a week workout, right? So you can still do two days, maybe three, of cardio a week. Just make sure you have one 100% rest day.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    deviiv wrote: »
    Preparation- you're hungry because your body needs/needed fuel.

I eat a small meal to get myself through the session and have something with my protein shake afterwards.

personal preference and not necessary..

I never eat pre workout because I hate to workout on a full stomach ….
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

OP you might think you know how you would react to a situation but you won't know until you try. Lifting never makes me hungry. It the cardio that does through many many trials I found out this information.

It was like I thought I would have a negative reaction to logging foods with a food scale. Until I started doing it that was not the case.

Kettlebell workouts and stronglift 5x5 are two way different things so my above still applies.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options

strong lifts is a three day a week workout, right? So you can still do two days, maybe three, of cardio a week. Just make sure you have one 100% rest day.

Yep, i'll still be doing 3 days Cardio....but just a bit worried it won't be enough.
    But i guess, i'll just have to eat more Protein and hope for the best.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yep, i'll still be doing 3 days Cardio....but just a bit worried it won't be enough.
    But i guess, i'll just have to eat more Protein and hope for the best.

keep eating 1900 and see what happens…you should be able to do a nice recomp with strong lifts …..

• ExRelaySprinter
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

OP you might think you know how you would react to a situation but you won't know until you try.

Kettlebell workouts and stronglift 5x5 are two way different things so my above still applies.

Yes i get what you're saying....but anytime i've lifted anything heavy (regardless of what i'm actually lifting), it's the same outcome......Eating LOTS! Lol
    But i won't let it put me off.
    I'm determined to make this work.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Do it! Don't be scared and don't worry about your burns. I started 5 X 5 recently and I love the changes I am seeing in my body. I still run a few times run week and play tennis once or twice, but only because I love these activities and want to take full advantage of the good weather. What I've learned is to prioritize my strength workouts so that I'm not doing strength on super tired legs. It doesn't always work out, but just keep that in mind if you notice you're not progressing as you feel you should.

I was reluctant at the verry beginning because I didn't want to hurt myself, so I got a personal trainer for a few sessions just so he could check my form and I have to say it was the best money I've ever spent. Feeling totally confident in the gym now and I also got some tips on great stretches that have improved my squat and running form.

Good luck!