Chocolate substitutes

Options

Replies

• KaminaJohnson
    KaminaJohnson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein bars. 200 calories and 20g of protein. Taste pretty good too. I need to find ways to get protein anyway, so this supplement works great.
  • asianfashionista86
    asianfashionista86 Posts: 5,039 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Better chocolate. Seriously. Nothing quenches my craving for chocolate than one square of high cocoa chocolate rather than a full bar of crappy Hershey's or something.

What brands do you favor?
    Lindt is one of my faves, and it's easily available. Which might actually be a bad thing :)

It's just your mind telling you to just have one that's hard to work on

Could be a magnesium deficiency.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html

...Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3e6GMREqK
    That's some good food for thought thanks!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This is cheating because it's actually chocolate, but you can control the sugar and calories in some ways and you get quite a few other nutrients:

1. chocolate smoothie: almond milk/milk/whatever, banana (or other sweetener of choice), cocoa powder...i usually add peanut butter as well, but that definitely bumps up the calories significantly.

2. chocolate chia seed pudding: 1/2 cup milk/almond milk/whatever, 1/4 cup chia seeds, cocoa powder, sweetener to taste (could be banana or date or whatever), small amount of vanilla extract

3. very dark, very nice chocolate

There's nothing like the taste of chocolate. You aren't going to find a satisfying substitute that doesn't include cacao.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Finding a way to fit in chocolate is not unfortunate; it's a blessing! I've made a skinny hot cocoa using cocoa powder, milk powder, hot water and stevia.

Chocolate is full of anti-oxidants.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I like to add a pinch of cinnamon to my hot cocoa now, just like the Aztecs used to.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Halo Top ice cream? I love chocolate and I love ice cream so this is my go to! It's very low in calories and it ACTUALLY TASTES GOOD! Google Halo Top and their website you can see if any stores near you carry it, I'd highly highly recommend at least checking it out!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i am sure its been said, but there is no substitute for chocolate LOL

i often have a bit in the evening (with my beer, cause theres no substitute for that, either)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    i am sure its been said, but there is no substitute for chocolate LOL

i often have a bit in the evening (with my beer, cause theres no substitute for that, either)

Chocolate and beer... You sound like my kind of person!
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice Tea with milk & sugar

"Splurge" on the diet hot chocolate, find one that's at least 50 calories. The 25 calorie one looks like a science experiment.....it never mixes together (just weird).

I like chocolate PB2 mixed in vanilla Greek yogurt.

Chocolate shredded wheat is good too.

Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares. These babies are individually wrapped. More chocolate ...... less sugar.

I keep hearing about this diet hot chocolate what is it?

It's Swiss Miss that is sugar free so the calories are a lot lower than regular hot chocolate. I like it (even the 25 calorie one) but it has to be mixed with milk and not water. I cannot stand hot chocolate made with water.

Also, I will eat a light breakfast and light lunch just so I can have an entire Hershey's Special Dark bar. It's worth it to me.
  • asianfashionista86
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice Tea with milk & sugar

"Splurge" on the diet hot chocolate, find one that's at least 50 calories. The 25 calorie one looks like a science experiment.....it never mixes together (just weird).

I like chocolate PB2 mixed in vanilla Greek yogurt.

Chocolate shredded wheat is good too.

Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares. These babies are individually wrapped. More chocolate ...... less sugar.

I keep hearing about this diet hot chocolate what is it?

It's Swiss Miss that is sugar free so the calories are a lot lower than regular hot chocolate. I like it (even the 25 calorie one) but it has to be mixed with milk and not water. I cannot stand hot chocolate made with water.

Also, I will eat a light breakfast and light lunch just so I can have an entire Hershey's Special Dark bar. It's worth it to me.

Lol that makes sense to me !
  • asianfashionista86
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of Halo Top ice cream? I love chocolate and I love ice cream so this is my go to! It's very low in calories and it ACTUALLY TASTES GOOD! Google Halo Top and their website you can see if any stores near you carry it, I'd highly highly recommend at least checking it out!
    Yeah someone recommended fudgecicles too lol
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Better chocolate. Seriously. Nothing quenches my craving for chocolate than one square of high cocoa chocolate rather than a full bar of crappy Hershey's or something.

What brands do you favor?
    Lindt is one of my faves, and it's easily available. Which might actually be a bad thing :)

It's just your mind telling you to just have one that's hard to work on

Could be a magnesium deficiency.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html

...Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3e6GMREqK

Based on my own personal experience... the above is true. For a long time I had to have chocolate every day in order to feel okay. Then I started taking Mg and the cravings went away.

But there is still no substitute for a little good dark chocolate. Mosser Roth 85% dark is my go to. One piece of that satisfuies my chocolate needs nicely.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Favorite brands:
    Godiva
    Lindt
    Dove

Also, chec out the Fiber One line of stuff. They make a brownie treat that tastes amazing!

And, I would look for quest bars online before going to GNC. In my experience, GNC tends to be overpriced.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @asianfashionista86 pb2 is powdered peanut butter without hydrogenated oil. you add a little water to it and it's nice and creamy. chocolate pb2 is chocolately peanut butter. I prefer a nice square of dark chocolate but sometimes I want sweet which dark chocolate isn't
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I don't much care for chocolate, but if I do want some and there isn't any around, I have a hot chocolate or a coffee (it's like a very sweet triple espresso with cream and some almond milk (to make up for the amount of cream I like), and it's close enough. I'm not sure it saves a ton of calories though, that's still like 150-200 cals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with chocolate any ideas as to what would help curb cravings for chocolate or something that you found helped you replace chocolate?

I refuse to replace chocolate with anything else.

I work it into my calorie goals.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Don't replace it! I don't really have a sweet tooth, but when I get a craving for chocolate, I just plan for it and work it into my calories. There's really no substitute imo. I prefer dark chocolate (85% usually) because there's a lot more fat and it's very rich and flavorful so i find it more satisfying than milk chocolate and am less likely to overeat it
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you saw my diary, you'd see a couple of squares of Theo 85% chocolate almost every day. It's low sugar, has a little bit of protein, and all those nutrients... or so I tell myself.
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate but in my calorie goal. Try putting kitkats or twixes in the freezer. Takes longer to eat and tastes great.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I'll put cacao powder in my coffee to satisfy a chocolate craving. But usually I eat my favorite chocolate foods when a craving hits. Just be choosy and log those calories.