Suggestions for fiber?

Options
I'm trying increase the amount of fiber I eat each day. Any suggestions for food? I already have a large salad for lunch most days but that doesn't seem to be enough.

Replies

• kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Apples
    Avocados
    Prunes
    Raspberries
    Pears
    Strawberries
    Beans
    Peas
    Artichokes
    Broccoli
    Almonds
    Lentils
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    Bob's Red Hill makes some great high fiber cereals. Also try Alpine Valley breads, the make a great 21 grain bread that only 77 cals per slice and has 4 grams fiber, 5 grams proteins as well. Very filling! I spray 'I can't believe it's not butter' olilve oil on them, it's really good.
  • lilbrighteyes
    lilbrighteyes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try black bean burgers (7g) - they are really good, especially with some provolone cheese, spinach and salsa. Also, I usually have peas/corn as a side for lunch (1 cup, 3g) and snacking on popcorn, special K snack bars and apples helps raise my fiber as well. If you like oatmeal, try steel cut oats (4g). I bought some from wegamans and if you add a dash of cinnamon and some fruit (I learned I prefer dried cranberries) it really improves the taste.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    this uncle sams cereal does it for me... its a natural laxative cereal..its not bad with a little honey...theres the nutrition in it

A 3/4 cup (55 grams) serving contains: 190 calories, 40 from fat; total fat 5 g; trans fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 135 mg; potassium 250 mg; total carbohydrates 38 g; dietary fiber 10 g; soluble fiber 2 g; insoluble fiber 8 g; sugars less than 1 g.

It contains the following daily values: vitamin C 2%; calcium 4%; iron 10%; thiamin 50%; riboflavin 50%; niacin 50%; phosphorus 20%; magnesium 25%.

Ingredients: whole wheat kernels, whole flaxseed, salt, barley malt, niacin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1).
  • wtomsej
    wtomsej Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I get a lot of fibre daily, but it took a while to get used to it. I like the taste of ground flax seeds. I use this in my hot almond cereal at lunch. If you eat cereal, or like some fibre in your salad, add a tablespoon of it. It has a nutty flavour. Seeds are also a good way - high in fat, but high in fibre. I like sunflower seeds or sesame seeds on my salads.

I also get a lot of fibre from berries - raspberries, strawberries, blackberries. With strawberries coming into season in the next week or two, I'm looking forward to fresh local strawberries in my break tfast fruit salad.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Berries
    Oranges
    Apples
  • skymel14
    skymel14 Posts: 30
    Options
    Personally I take fiber capsules made with psyllium husks. Since I cannot guarantee that I will get enough fiber in every meal, taking fiber capsules made with psyllium with my daily breakfast seems to do the "trick," if you know what I mean.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    vegetables, fruit and whole grains

I get all the fiber I need by eating a few servings of fruit and vegetables along with some high fiber breads
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    vegetables, fruit and whole grains

I get all the fiber I need by eating a few servings of fruit and vegetables along with some high fiber breads

Yup...

Also, you can check out my diary if you like...I'm generally in the 35-40 grams range.
  • KoRnKraZy
    KoRnKraZy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk - I add about 10 grams to my protein shake every day. It's a miracle worker!
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    15g of Chia Seeds added to cereals, joghurts, salads, etc will give you 25% of your daily fibre intake. However, as others said already fruit, vegetable and grains are great for fibre. Actually, it is very easy to get your daily intake of fibre.
  • BarbraP44
    BarbraP44 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Practically all your fresh fruits and veggies contain fiber. Wheat cereals and oatmeal contain fiber. Why not set fiber as one of your settings on your "diary settings." That way you can determine if you are getting enough.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm trying increase the amount of fiber I eat each day. Any suggestions for food? I already have a large salad for lunch most days but that doesn't seem to be enough.
    Vegetables are generally not that high in fiber. Add some berries, especially raspberries and blackberries.

I make a blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, banana smoothie every day that has 16 grams of fiber. And it makes a great "dessert."
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Smart & Delicious tortillas from La Tortilla Factory. They're in the Mexican aisle at the grocery store, usually. They have 7g of fiber per 50 calorie tortilla.

If you aren't doing it with veggies and fruits and other high fiber breads, these babies do the trick and taste really good with grilled chicken.
  • Oreobbenb
    Oreobbenb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fiber One cereal has 14 gms of fiber and only 60 calories per 1/2 cup serving. I like to eat it like a snack without milk.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    All_Bran_Buds.jpg

add a tbsp of these to other foods. Most times you won't even notice it.
  • knot2thin
    knot2thin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I add Chia seed, hemp seed, and ground flax to my morning smoothy for cereal. You wont know it is in there and a good source of fiber.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I get FiberOne brownie bars. They have new chocolate chip cookie bars that taste pretty good. Plus they're only 90 calories.
  • urbliss777
    urbliss777 Posts: 48
    Options
    Omg, thank you SO much for this. Apparently normal ppl go to the bathroom every day... I need more fiber! haha. i get apparently 8grams at most on a regular basis. I am going to buy this stuff.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    avocadoes, fresh fruit, so delicious makes a coconut yogurt that's high in fiber (and it's pretty tasty to boot)