what do you tell yourself when you want to overeat?

Options
I have maintained for about 3 yrs but recently put back on 10 lbs. I just seen chocolate pies at the grocery store and had to just run out. I don't need that when my weight is up. I tell myself now you want to fit in your clothes. Enough is enough. Could use some help, what do ya say that helps you, this maintaining is harder than I thought!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I say "knock it off". If I start getting out of control or sloppy with my logging, I try to not buy ice cream or chocolate for about a day or two and log really carefully. Then I get back to the chocolate eating and stay within my goals. I've only been in maintenance for a little over two months though and still have so many body composition goals-I think having goals helps keep me in line.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tell myself I can eat it another day, because I don't have to eat it right now, and its not going to be the last meal of my life. I can eat that anytime. It helps me put off another binge attack most days. Doesn't always work, but has a fairly high hit rate. :smile:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    "Don't be an idiot."

I find a way to make it fit or I put it off until I can. Reality doesn't care how good my rationalizations are. If I overeat, I'll gain weight I don't want to gain.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thanks ya are right, knock it off, don't be an idiot, wait another day, good advice
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I try to think about how much I'm gonna regret it if I do. Most of the time I do it anyway.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I also use the "I'll have it tomorrow" or "I'll have it this weekend" strategy
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Since the beginning, I have asked myself "is it really worth the calories"? My answer is generally "NO".
    Pretty much has worked for me. 3 years on MFP, 19 months on maintenance.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    I tell myself I can eat it another day, because I don't have to eat it right now, and its not going to be the last meal of my life. I can eat that anytime. It helps me put off another binge attack most days. Doesn't always work, but has a fairly high hit rate. :smile:
    i do this too i guess about 85% of the time it works for me.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I remember being depressed about something about 3-4 weeks back. Which, previous to that, would typically trigger a desire to binge. I remember I also had a big bowl of cut strawberries in my fridge that night, maybe about around three cups worth.

So, I grabbed the bowl of cut strawberries, dumped 3-4 packets of stevia on top, and then ate them in front of the TV.

Added about 300 calories to the day. Insignificant as I had a surplus by the end of the day anyways.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I don't overeat anymore. I want my goals.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »

I do something similar.

I give myself permission to eat whatever I am craving in whatever quantities I want...just not right now but either the next day or a few hours time.

The compulsion to over eat either reduces to nothing or much less than it was previously.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    I also use the "I'll have it tomorrow" or "I'll have it this weekend" strategy

This is what I do. "Wait until Saturday." I don't count calories on the weekend, so if something doesn't fit in my daily calories, I put off eating it until then. I know from the past when I logged every morsel, even at baby showers, bachelorette or birthday parties with lots of goodies (and drinks), it's damn near impossible for me to undo my calorie deficit for the week in one (or two) days.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I ask myself if it's worth the guilt I'll feel later. Also, I do allow myself to cheat a little bit on the weekends so if there's something I REALLY want I'll have it then. Depriving yourself is only going to make it worse.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm close to but not to goal yet and sometimes overeat on soy crisps. I feel like crap later and either adjust my dinner calories to make sure I don't go over or just see the red bar which takes a week to go away. I am scared to go on maintenance cause after all the work I did this year I don't ever want to go back to being overweight. I guess you just have to remember what it felt like being overweight and how happy and wonderful it feels to be healthy and looking good. Then make the right choices.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I tell myself, meh it doesn't taste THAT good! and walk away ....nothing tastes as good as being slim feels :smiley:
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Break it down into looking at it in terms of fat sugar and salt and it puts you off. Imagine a nice big block of lard (solid fats)instead of the chocolate. Now you would not eat the lard would you?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I just ask if I want to work it off later. and if I do, then I get it
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If I really want something I will buy it & then pay for it with an extra workout first. If I normally swim for 1/2 hour I will swim for a full hour & you know usually I find it's not even worth it & I give it to one of my coworkers or my nephew. But sometimes when it's yummy homemade perogi from my grandma I just have a couple & move on & try to make up the calories elsewhere.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I go home and put on my bathing suit to remind myself why I don't want it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now"