what do you tell yourself when you want to overeat?

Options

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I generally see what it'll look like in my MFP diary, if I can fit it in or near the day's calories. If I can fit it in without going more than 100 calories over, I go ahead. I generally have 100 calories of so built up from the past week. If I can't, I know exactly what it's going to cost me, and I can either make plans for indulging now and making up for it in reduced calories in the next couple days or (what usually happens) I think about what I want and just say to myself, "It's not THAT good." Three weeks out of the month, I just say, "It's not THAT good," but that other week, well, I generally cave to temptation.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There are two types of pain you will go through in life, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”

― Jim Rohn

I really like this! I also try to slow down and remind myself what the scale will look like/what it has looked like and how discouraged it make me.

Keep up the good work!!!
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret, it's your choice.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First: I ask myself if it will taste as good as I think it will and if I really want it. Often I know the quality will poor enough that it won't.
    Then: If I want the chocolate, I buy a decent piece of chocolate - like one truffle. That will almost always kill the craving and it's only 70 calories.
    Otherwise: If I really want it and it really will be that good, I have a small piece and work it into my maintenance calories.

Some is good. More is usually not better.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    When I am out of calories I think about going shopping for clothes in size medium and some small and how good and confident I feel wearing a bikini. Feels really good.

Other times I will fit it in, share with a friend, or plan for it and have it the next day/over the weekend etc.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    "if you eat too much now you will feel sick later"

usually i choose not feeling sick.
  • starglows
    starglows Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Allow myself to eat it, but only if I first eat a bowl of steamed vegetables and drink a glass of water. Usually I either don’t feel like eating the veggies, or am too full when I get done.

Also, I second having low calorie treats (fruit, diet desserts) on hand, so if a binge is unavoidable at least it doesn't cost sooo many calories.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Flk0TFUdop2JTW%2F200_s.gif&ei=f8ONVfHDDMmEsAXowKmgAQ&psig=AFQjCNEKSSduOlfwbNb594-9yv4yU313SQ&ust=1435440383307172

Not that I'm a nerd or anything...

Or

url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F236x%2Fb7%2F54%2F7a%2Fb7547a00e5bc77fb591d44d764f236f5.jpg&ei=ysSNVdKOBYuGsAWnmoOABA&psig=AFQjCNGDbXL5Ts7NAApzgr55hOMRzamRzw&ust=1435440714192842

The corollary being something like: "Sometimes, you gotta do what you have to so when the time comes you can do what you want to do"
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    wow these are good! I finally got me a snack size oreo mcflury from Mcdonalds and got my choc fix, sometimes it works getting something similar. It was that or a whole pie. Grocery stores don't sell slices of pie. I guess I could have went to the cafeteria and get a slice but it is far away from me. ANyway, it seemed to work.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this one for myself right now. I don't think I've totally cracked it, but a couple things work for me -

1. I ask myself, "What am I feeding?" If it's emotional, I try to reflect and get to the bottom of it. If it's work stress, for example, I try to unpick what is stressing me out at work and create a plan for dealing with it, while I remind myself that food won't fix that problem.
    2. I do the "wait til the weekend" thing.
    3. If nothing else works, I might allow myself to indulge, but balance it out with an extra workout.
  • walter94526
    walter94526 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I start talking in my best Cartman voice and scream "maaaaahm ah want some paaaeh!"
    The I throw the offending item in the trash before I have a chance to eat it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    what do you tell yourself when you want to overeat?

Don't eat that...save it for more beer...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    I tell myself I can eat it another day, because I don't have to eat it right now, and its not going to be the last meal of my life. I can eat that anytime. It helps me put off another binge attack most days. Doesn't always work, but has a fairly high hit rate. :smile:

This often works for me too
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If I really want something, I get a single serving. And eat less the next few days. Mostly though I don't buy things that don't keep because then the 'you can have more tomorrow' thing doesn't work. Like I've been craving pie but I'm just not buying a whole pie at the store, it's a recipe for disaster.

Of course I still have days when I overeat because my hormones make me crazy but I just make sure to keep a deficit on easier days to make up for it.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I just think about how many miles/workouts i'm wasting by eating X surplus of calories. a donut doesn't look as good knowing i need to run 2-3 miles to counter it. I still have random semi-cheat meals, but i make sure if i have a cheat meal, it's worth it, and crappy desserts are never worth it.
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I will exercise harder tomorrow.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    At my age it became clear to me I had to leave anything with sugar of any type and grain in it for pain management. I have to watch the protein but for the past 9 months I have been able to eat all of the Fats that I want without regain but I do have to do something like Intermittent Fasting (IF) as in stop eating by 5 PM to lose weight at least a few days a week. When I was eating carbs to over eat by a 1000 or 2000 calories for just one day was a disaster weight and pain wise. I just do not want to restart the desire for carbs because I would fall off of the wagon and get ran over by it. Being free of the desire to eat a donut, orange or milkshake is awesome.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm lucky. It's usually okay when I get home because my husband and I don't generally keep bad temptations in the kitchen. The more dangerous place for me is the grocery store.

Awhile ago I woke up groaning because of overeating the day before. I wished I could remember that crummy feeling while shopping. But it's always lost in the desire for instant gratification. (...cookies... mmmmm!)

A mantra grew out of that wish. While shopping now, I say:
    I don't know why, but I'll remember later. There's a reason I don't want that.

It sounds strange. But it really works for me. How odd is that!
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I remember being depressed about something about 3-4 weeks back. Which, previous to that, would typically trigger a desire to binge. I remember I also had a big bowl of cut strawberries in my fridge that night, maybe about around three cups worth.

So, I grabbed the bowl of cut strawberries, dumped 3-4 packets of stevia on top, and then ate them in front of the TV.

Added about 300 calories to the day. Insignificant as I had a surplus by the end of the day anyways.

I also do something similar. If I really want something dessert-ish, I put a tiny amount of whipped cream cheese on strawberry halves, and drizzle a tiny amount honey on top. Totally in my calorie count for the day, and works for me.

Or I give go in my room (step away from the fridge!) and give myself a pedicure. The mood passes and my toes look great :wink:
  • Fitfornowt
    Fitfornowt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with RunRutheeRun - "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels"
    I Just remind myself how much I love feeling and looking slimmer, then the craving goes away!!