what do you tell yourself when you want to overeat?

Replies

• mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    There are two types of pain you will go through in life, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”

― Jim Rohn

I really like this! I also try to slow down and remind myself what the scale will look like/what it has looked like and how discouraged it make me.

Keep up the good work!!!
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret, it's your choice.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    First: I ask myself if it will taste as good as I think it will and if I really want it. Often I know the quality will poor enough that it won't.
    Then: If I want the chocolate, I buy a decent piece of chocolate - like one truffle. That will almost always kill the craving and it's only 70 calories.
    Otherwise: If I really want it and it really will be that good, I have a small piece and work it into my maintenance calories.

Some is good. More is usually not better.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    When I am out of calories I think about going shopping for clothes in size medium and some small and how good and confident I feel wearing a bikini. Feels really good.

Other times I will fit it in, share with a friend, or plan for it and have it the next day/over the weekend etc.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    "if you eat too much now you will feel sick later"

usually i choose not feeling sick.
  • starglows
    starglows Posts: 6 Member
    Allow myself to eat it, but only if I first eat a bowl of steamed vegetables and drink a glass of water. Usually I either don’t feel like eating the veggies, or am too full when I get done.

Also, I second having low calorie treats (fruit, diet desserts) on hand, so if a binge is unavoidable at least it doesn't cost sooo many calories.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Flk0TFUdop2JTW%2F200_s.gif&ei=f8ONVfHDDMmEsAXowKmgAQ&psig=AFQjCNEKSSduOlfwbNb594-9yv4yU313SQ&ust=1435440383307172

Not that I'm a nerd or anything...

Or

url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F236x%2Fb7%2F54%2F7a%2Fb7547a00e5bc77fb591d44d764f236f5.jpg&ei=ysSNVdKOBYuGsAWnmoOABA&psig=AFQjCNGDbXL5Ts7NAApzgr55hOMRzamRzw&ust=1435440714192842

The corollary being something like: "Sometimes, you gotta do what you have to so when the time comes you can do what you want to do"
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    wow these are good! I finally got me a snack size oreo mcflury from Mcdonalds and got my choc fix, sometimes it works getting something similar. It was that or a whole pie. Grocery stores don't sell slices of pie. I guess I could have went to the cafeteria and get a slice but it is far away from me. ANyway, it seemed to work.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    I'm working on this one for myself right now. I don't think I've totally cracked it, but a couple things work for me -

1. I ask myself, "What am I feeding?" If it's emotional, I try to reflect and get to the bottom of it. If it's work stress, for example, I try to unpick what is stressing me out at work and create a plan for dealing with it, while I remind myself that food won't fix that problem.
    2. I do the "wait til the weekend" thing.
    3. If nothing else works, I might allow myself to indulge, but balance it out with an extra workout.
  • walter94526
    walter94526 Posts: 12 Member
    I start talking in my best Cartman voice and scream "maaaaahm ah want some paaaeh!"
    The I throw the offending item in the trash before I have a chance to eat it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    what do you tell yourself when you want to overeat?

Don't eat that...save it for more beer...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    faithyang wrote: »
    I tell myself I can eat it another day, because I don't have to eat it right now, and its not going to be the last meal of my life. I can eat that anytime. It helps me put off another binge attack most days. Doesn't always work, but has a fairly high hit rate. :smile:

This often works for me too
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    If I really want something, I get a single serving. And eat less the next few days. Mostly though I don't buy things that don't keep because then the 'you can have more tomorrow' thing doesn't work. Like I've been craving pie but I'm just not buying a whole pie at the store, it's a recipe for disaster.

Of course I still have days when I overeat because my hormones make me crazy but I just make sure to keep a deficit on easier days to make up for it.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    I just think about how many miles/workouts i'm wasting by eating X surplus of calories. a donut doesn't look as good knowing i need to run 2-3 miles to counter it. I still have random semi-cheat meals, but i make sure if i have a cheat meal, it's worth it, and crappy desserts are never worth it.
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    I tell myself that I will exercise harder tomorrow.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    At my age it became clear to me I had to leave anything with sugar of any type and grain in it for pain management. I have to watch the protein but for the past 9 months I have been able to eat all of the Fats that I want without regain but I do have to do something like Intermittent Fasting (IF) as in stop eating by 5 PM to lose weight at least a few days a week. When I was eating carbs to over eat by a 1000 or 2000 calories for just one day was a disaster weight and pain wise. I just do not want to restart the desire for carbs because I would fall off of the wagon and get ran over by it. Being free of the desire to eat a donut, orange or milkshake is awesome.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,747 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm lucky. It's usually okay when I get home because my husband and I don't generally keep bad temptations in the kitchen. The more dangerous place for me is the grocery store.

Awhile ago I woke up groaning because of overeating the day before. I wished I could remember that crummy feeling while shopping. But it's always lost in the desire for instant gratification. (...cookies... mmmmm!)

A mantra grew out of that wish. While shopping now, I say:
    I don't know why, but I'll remember later. There's a reason I don't want that.

It sounds strange. But it really works for me. How odd is that!
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I remember being depressed about something about 3-4 weeks back. Which, previous to that, would typically trigger a desire to binge. I remember I also had a big bowl of cut strawberries in my fridge that night, maybe about around three cups worth.

So, I grabbed the bowl of cut strawberries, dumped 3-4 packets of stevia on top, and then ate them in front of the TV.

Added about 300 calories to the day. Insignificant as I had a surplus by the end of the day anyways.

I also do something similar. If I really want something dessert-ish, I put a tiny amount of whipped cream cheese on strawberry halves, and drizzle a tiny amount honey on top. Totally in my calorie count for the day, and works for me.

Or I give go in my room (step away from the fridge!) and give myself a pedicure. The mood passes and my toes look great :wink:
  • Fitfornowt
    Fitfornowt Posts: 24 Member
    I totally agree with RunRutheeRun - "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels"
    I Just remind myself how much I love feeling and looking slimmer, then the craving goes away!!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    If I ask myself what do I want more, the tasty food or the slim body, I know I'll say "tasty food" and eat everything in sight. So I allow myself a little bit of what I'm craving. Don't buy the whole chocolate pie; go somewhere you can order one piece of it (and split that with a friend if you can). And stay active! Granted, I'm a little up right now after a fabulous vacation, but this method worked well before that, including a trip to Italy.