Bulking and Blood Panel

Options
This is an "n=1" study, as they say.

There's a lot of discussion about "clean" bulks and dirty bulks and how one will wreck your body.

I'm coming off of a bulk, the pop-tarts and ice cream kind.

Blood numbers came in today; everything is awesome!

So, definitely do your own research with this stuff and run your own numbers. I'm just sayin', it's possible to bulk on something besides brown rice and chicken and come out fine.

Replies

• EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    "Clean" and "healthy" are such awful words for food. I'm sure you have to admit though, when you tell people what you were eating to get in shape, their reactions are priceless.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha Agreed! I follow several people bulking and they eat whatever the hell they want and are seeing amazing results. :] Can't wait 'til I'm in a bulk phase!! haha!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I bulked very very dirty. My blood results are nearly identical to two years ago when I started bulking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty well understood hat clean bulk was smallerish gains = .5 to a pound a week and dirty bulk was anything in excess of one pound per week gain..??
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty well understood hat clean bulk was smallerish gains = .5 to a pound a week and dirty bulk was anything in excess of one pound per week gain..??

I'm pretty sure that's a lean bulk.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Now I'm confused. Is there a smelly bulk too? I'm doing that one I think.

Yeah, that's the bean bulk ;)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options

Now I'm confused. Is there a smelly bulk too? I'm doing that one I think.

Yeah, that's the bean bulk ;)

This is amazing.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    man, now I am all confused....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

There's no meaningful protein in either of those foods. Unless this is a bulk of the "get fat" variety, there's clearly a LOT more to your intake story than "pop-tarts and ice cream".

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

There's no meaningful protein in either of those foods. Unless this is a bulk of the "get fat" variety, there's clearly a LOT more to your intake story than "pop-tarts and ice cream".

eipgbcca.jpeg
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Can you share the numbers?
  • ndj1979
    Options

meh, carbs are more important when bulking anyway ...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There's a lot of discussion about "clean" bulks and dirty bulks and how one will wreck your body.

So, definitely do your own research with this stuff and run your own numbers. I'm just sayin', it's possible to bulk on something besides brown rice and chicken and come out fine.

I for the most part agree with this; however, my n=1 study had my LDL shoot up pretty substantially during my bulk...I went from 96 to 146 LDL in a matter of 6-7 months while I was bulking...not sure what the culprit was there though...the only thing I can think of is lots of cheese and dairy in general.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options

No no, that's was all I ate for ten weeks!

Well, also whey, chicken, burgers, veggies, bread, and a whole host of other foods.

The numbers:

HDL 54
    LDL 97
    Tri 56
    Ratio 3.0
    Glucose 82

LDL was close to threshold but still within tolerances.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I for the most part agree with this; however, my n=1 study had my LDL shoot up pretty substantially during my bulk...I went from 96 to 146 LDL in a matter of 6-7 months while I was bulking...not sure what the culprit was there though...the only thing I can think of is lots of cheese and dairy in general.

Diet doesn't affect the numbers that substantially so there maybe something else to it. Current research is showing that at least one type of LDL may be a response to damage. I would consult your doctor for more information since that might indicate an underlying condition.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

No no, that's was all I ate for ten weeks!

Well, also whey, chicken, burgers, veggies, bread, and a whole host of other foods.

The numbers:

HDL 54
    LDL 97
    Tri 56
    Ratio 3.0
    Glucose 82

LDL was close to threshold but still within tolerances.

That fasting glucose?

Diet doesn't affect the numbers that substantially so there maybe something else to it.
    Yeah, it was my understanding the new dietary guidelines are going to drop concerns about cholesterol intake as there isn't that much linking it to dietary intake.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    <snip>
    Yeah, it was my understanding the new dietary guidelines are going to drop concerns about cholesterol intake as there isn't that much linking it to dietary intake.

this is good news for me considering how many *kitten* eggs I eat :mrgreen: