When the Plate is Just TOO Large to Weigh...

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sneak your phone under the lip and snap a picture of the readout.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    This is a perfect example of a basic problem that we have all had. We have all found some workarounds, but we have all still had those awkward balancing-the-fish-on-the-potato-salad moments. And I really appreciate reading other's solutions. In fact, I am literally a card-carrying member of Mensa, but today I would like to ceremonially relinquish my card to @Annie_01. Simply genius.

Thank you for asking the question, @myheartsabattleground.

Oh, and @ncfitbit . . . I think my scale may be the OXO you are referring to. Now that I've found the pull-out feature, I love it. My only regret is that I do not believe the top surface is removable, so I can't just take it off and put it through the dishwasher, like some other scales. That's a minor annoyance.

Cool. This scale seems like a win (but I will use the bowl suggestion until I can get one. Thanks, Annie!) I figure anything that removes obstacles to weighing all of my food easily is well worth it. I agree that the more suggestions the better. One of the best things about this site is that if you pay attention you will learn something every day.

ETA: better grammar. Time for bed!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I just joined about ten days ago and don't know much about much but by reading some posts I would not dare ask any questions. The OP question may seem obvious in its answer to some but not to the op. .....sigh

Ask your questions. Get different opinions. Ignore the ones that aren't trying to be helpful. :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I weigh everything raw, before its cooked. Why would I need to weigh it on to a plate?

tumblr_lnks9gkykk1qiw26m.gif

Actually, if you look at how calories are currently calculated (as if everything were cooks, essentially), it should give the same results if you pick raw foods when counting calories to make the weight work right. :) I had the same questions because you CAN'T do cooked when choosing recipe builder.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    This is a perfect example of a basic problem that we have all had. We have all found some workarounds, but we have all still had those awkward balancing-the-fish-on-the-potato-salad moments. And I really appreciate reading other's solutions. In fact, I am literally a card-carrying member of Mensa, but today I would like to ceremonially relinquish my card to @Annie_01. Simply genius.

Thank you for asking the question, @myheartsabattleground.

Oh, and @ncfitbit . . . I think my scale may be the OXO you are referring to. Now that I've found the pull-out feature, I love it. My only regret is that I do not believe the top surface is removable, so I can't just take it off and put it through the dishwasher, like some other scales. That's a minor annoyance.

The OXO scale platform can be removed, but is supposed to be handwashed only. I've never removed it until just now - I generally don't weigh directly on the scale.

The pull-out display (which solves the problem in the OP, and apparently was unique to OXO as of 2009) is one of the reasons this is America's Test Kitchen's top rated digital cooking scale.

6a9bbb51c6b8f5dce99cc7462098096b.png

This scale weighs up to 11 pounds so is good when you are including heavy casserole dishes. They make a less expensive version that weighs up to 5 pounds.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    one of my scales ( i have two) has a pull out display.

but even when i just had the other one, i never had an issue... bend down a little and look at the display, or put a bowl on the scale and place the plate on the bowl.

• SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I set a bowl on the scale and then my plate on top of that...solves the problem.

I can't describe how dumb I feel for never having thought of this...
    +1 And my life just got a bit easier! :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Asked as well if I couldn't think, sometimes your mind don't work when you need it to and certainly not make fun or respond with a smart remark.

People should ask questions. I was surprised how basic this one was, but then there are people of all levels on these forums, so common sense for one person might be difficult for another. I would avoid being oversensitive though, these forums are very mild by internet standards.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Asked as well if I couldn't think, sometimes your mind don't work when you need it to and certainly not make fun or respond with a smart remark.

People should ask questions. I was surprised how basic this one was, but then there are people of all levels on these forums, so common sense for one person might be difficult for another. I would avoid being oversensitive though, these forums are very mild by internet standards.

It is the basic things that seems to trip us up the most. IMO we humans like to think that something is harder than it truly is. I also think that most of us have had those moments when we can't seem to figure those simple things out...at least I have. Then when we see the solution...we think..."how dumb was I???".

I don't know...maybe there are just some really really really smart people on MFP that have never had those moments when they just can't figure something out.

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just don't weigh anything.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I really need to browse the forums more often. Then I wouldn't have spent $30 on an annoyingly wobbly scale that can't be returned because the box accidentally got thrown out on trash day. So…mental note: buy OXO scale next time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is this real life???

OP - weight each item individually, problem solved…

why would you weigh your whole dinner plate anyway?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

Not to say it hasn't happened to me. But I like...used another plate/bowl/whatever. Rocket science.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just joined about ten days ago and don't know much about much but by reading some posts I would not dare ask any questions. The OP question may seem obvious in its answer to some but not to the op. .....sigh

Don't be afraid to ask questions. But take a moment to think when it seems like something you can answer yourself. Use the google, you might find your answer...and if you don't, you'll have some background and knowledge about the topic you want to ask about before you post.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Clear plates :smile: Yes, I bought plates just for this, solved all my problems.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is this real life???

OP - weight each item individually, problem solved…

why would you weigh your whole dinner plate anyway?

I don't know...seems simple...put plate on scale...turn on scale...dip food out of pot...put on plate...record weight (or just remember it)...tare...repeat until all food is on plate.

Why dirty up another dish to weigh it in and then dump it on the plate.

We all have our different ways of doing things in this real life...just because it is different than yours does not make either one of them wrong...just different.

The OP asked for ways around the problem of not being able to see the read out on the scale. Several methods have been given so I guess it is up to the OP to find the one that works the best for him/her.

• qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I set a bowl on the scale and then my plate on top of that...solves the problem.
    Worry not thy mind, fellow MFPer... thou art not alone in said feeling(/response)(/mortification)... and 'twould seem a clarion-like heralding from an oracle atop storm-infested mountains, and issued forth with glowering mange... (?!) ...that though thou lookest higheth and loweth (<-- lo, 'tis a fine spittance of archaic English -meets- lisp, wouldn'st thou sayeth? ;))... there doth not be words enough in nary a language to adequately convey the gall and hovercast pall of said four-letter-word-beginning-with-d that thou darest speak (cover thy lips -- stat! -- and turnest thy gaze hither!)... (good grief, wth did I just say?!)...

...a scouring of the world's vocabulary and expressionistic effluvia would seem to 'elect' the following utterance to serve as 'words in absentia', for this harrowing quandary -- "D'oh!" ;)

...and 'twould seem a slam-dunketh certainticity (<-- a perchance encounter with legitimacy adorned with unnecessary suffixated finery (or so 'twould seem) (lol)) that Annie_01 will be the first MFPer to be awarded a MacArthur Genius Grant... via which she shall henceforth cultivate yet more expanses of unexplored terrain from amidst the MFP landscape's conundra... and reveal yet more 'solutions lying in wait', and for which her fellow MFPers shall summarily feel smh-like exasperated 'of course -itude', laced with relief-laden gratitude... and with an undeniable consequence of such being... that lives will be changed... and the world, at large, will never be the same... (or so sayeth I)...

;)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I use a high ball glass
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Bowing to Annie, great thinking! :)

I've usually just shifted the plate a bit until the read out is visible.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Worry not thy mind, fellow MFPer... thou art not alone in said feeling(/response)(/mortification)... and 'twould seem a clarion-like heralding from an oracle atop storm-infested mountains, and issued forth with glowering mange... (?!) ...that though thou lookest higheth and loweth (<-- lo, 'tis a fine spittance of archaic English -meets- lisp, wouldn'st thou sayeth? ;))... there doth not be words enough in nary a language to adequately convey the gall and hovercast pall of said four-letter-word-beginning-with-d that thou darest speak (cover thy lips -- stat! -- and turnest thy gaze hither!)... (good grief, wth did I just say?!)...

...a scouring of the world's vocabulary and expressionistic effluvia would seem to 'elect' the following utterance to serve as 'words in absentia', for this harrowing quandary -- "D'oh!" ;)

...and 'twould seem a slam-dunketh certainticity (<-- a perchance encounter with legitimacy adorned with unnecessary suffixated finery (or so 'twould seem) (lol)) that Annie_01 will be the first MFPer to be awarded a MacArthur Genius Grant... via which she shall henceforth cultivate yet more expanses of unexplored terrain from amidst the MFP landscape's conundra... and reveal yet more 'solutions lying in wait', and for which her fellow MFPers shall summarily feel smh-like exasperated 'of course -itude', laced with relief-laden gratitude... and with an undeniable consequence of such being... that lives will be changed... and the world, at large, will never be the same... (or so sayeth I)...

;)

TL;DR