When the Plate is Just TOO Large to Weigh...

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Couldnt you just balance the empty plate on its side so you can see how much it weighs, surely just common sense and then you cna zero it assuming you have the tare/ zero function. I have never seen this as a thread issue before. If you cnat manage that, then maybe use a container that does fit on the scale and lets you see the result?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    This is a perfect example of a basic problem that we have all had. We have all found some workarounds, but we have all still had those awkward balancing-the-fish-on-the-potato-salad moments. And I really appreciate reading other's solutions. In fact, I am literally a card-carrying member of Mensa, but today I would like to ceremonially relinquish my card to @Annie_01. Simply genius.

Thank you for asking the question, @myheartsabattleground.

Oh, and @ncfitbit . . . I think my scale may be the OXO you are referring to. Now that I've found the pull-out feature, I love it. My only regret is that I do not believe the top surface is removable, so I can't just take it off and put it through the dishwasher, like some other scales. That's a minor annoyance.

You might want to take that card back if you only knew some of the OTHER stupid things I have done! I just happen to get that one right.

• MotherOfDestinyDragon
    Options
    Annie01 - genius idea, i hadn't thought of this, have always weighed in bits :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am more than glad to share and to know that I just might have made weighing a bit easier for some of you.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I just use several little plates. It increases the number of dishes I have to clean, but I get more exercise, so win/win!!
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I set a bowl on the scale and then my plate on top of that...solves the problem.

GENIUS ! I just tried that tonight, and it was a wee bit awkward because I couldn't look at it top down, but it still worked.

@Annie_01
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    ...my plates are small, and I have a scale that's meant for mail. :)

And, guys? OP may have meant that rejection quite literally. It's only been in the past 5 years that the legal terminology was changed from "mental retardation" to "intellectually disabled," so it's not automatically a slur. And there's a good chance that she's faced discrimination and assumptions because of her disabilities noted on her profile.

And, BTW, it's an intellectual disability, not a "mental disability" OR even a "learning disability," which is something else entirely. There are plenty of people with intellectual disabilities who would take issue with the implication that they have a mental disorder and vice versa--for good reason! Not the same!

For people who are confused and want to know why the OP wants to do this:

Put the plate on. Hit tare. Add first food item. Record. Tare. Next food item. Record. Tare. Etc. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ahhhh seriously? Use a smaller plate?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If my plate was to big then I would say to myself, hhmmmm, I need to get a smaller plate. Boom!! I can see the scale.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    If my plate was to big then I would say to myself, hhmmmm, I need to get a smaller plate. Boom!! I can see the scale.

But that would require you to think in a certain way and then someone would take offence. All just a bit mystifying at times.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I set a bowl on the scale and then my plate on top of that...solves the problem.

what a GREAT suggestion :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Wouldn't you want to weight each food by itself instead of all together on a dinner plate...

Figures it's been said, doesn't care, skips away
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    Wouldn't you want to weight each food by itself instead of all together on a dinner plate...

I've weighed all my stuff on the same plate. I just press Tare after each.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »

Most scales have a tare function so you can see how much each ingredient weighs as you add it.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I use small plates. I also do cumulative math so don't tare after I add each item.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I bet this thread helped more people than they care to admit.. :+1:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything raw, before its cooked. Why would I need to weigh it on to a plate?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I weigh everything raw, before its cooked. Why would I need to weigh it on to a plate?

tumblr_lnks9gkykk1qiw26m.gif
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have this...

oxo-food-scale-with-pullout-display.jpg

the readout slides out...

Quick glance, I thought that was a walkman xD
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Get the OXO scale. No acrobatics required to read the display. :)