When the Plate is Just TOO Large to Weigh...

Options
What does everyone do ?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How is that possible?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you're asking.

If you mean the amount of food is literally so high that it goes beyond the scale's limits, it's safe to assume you're eating a "too damn much" quantity of food. Log it as 5000 quick add calories and move on.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    So large you can't see the display?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I mean the dinner plate is just too large to see the numbers on the scale.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I set a bowl on the scale and then my plate on top of that...solves the problem.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I saw a scale recently that had a pullout feature so that you could still see the numbers. I think it's an OXO. I'm in the market for a new one so I will check it out...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So much of the can't evens.

Who ties your shoe laces for you?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I set a bowl on the scale and then my plate on top of that...solves the problem.

I can't describe how dumb I feel for never having thought of this...
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Genius! <3
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had that problem for a while. I would weigh stuff individually on smaller plates, then transfer it to the dinner plate. Or I would realize that, with my new, smaller portion sizes, I didn't need that big plate anymore, anyway.

Then, after an embarrassingly LONG period of time, I discovered that the display on my el-cheap-o scale actually pulls away from the body and is attached by about a 8" cord. Then, when I am done with the GIANT plate, the cord retracts and the display snaps back in place. Du-ough!!!
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This is a perfect example of a basic problem that we have all had. We have all found some workarounds, but we have all still had those awkward balancing-the-fish-on-the-potato-salad moments. And I really appreciate reading other's solutions. In fact, I am literally a card-carrying member of Mensa, but today I would like to ceremonially relinquish my card to @Annie_01. Simply genius.

Thank you for asking the question, @myheartsabattleground.

Oh, and @ncfitbit . . . I think my scale may be the OXO you are referring to. Now that I've found the pull-out feature, I love it. My only regret is that I do not believe the top surface is removable, so I can't just take it off and put it through the dishwasher, like some other scales. That's a minor annoyance.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So much of the can't evens.

Who ties your shoe laces for you?

Why are you calling me retarded ? This was a simplistic serious question.

I didn't call you that. But if you want to draw that conclusion I'm not going to stop you.

I guess I just can't ascertain or wrap my head around why this problem has you so completely stumped.

I assumed if you couldn't figure this out..... I'm just going to assume you still use Velcro then.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    Geeeeeeeeeez, everyone has a brain fart every once in a while. Why does everything on the internet have to turn into a "thing".

And I never would have thought of layering if I couldn't see the display. I would just stick whatever ingredients right on the scale itself and then sweep them onto the plate or bowl. :)

Also, Isaack, why do you have such pretty Krave boxes????
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    you've been on this site for at least 2 years years between your two accounts.
    I feel like this is something you should have figured out by now.

The Target in West Hartford/Farmington/over by that mall carries OXO scales with the pull out feature so you can see the display.
    The Target in Southington by the Lowes also carries this scale.
  • hail_ragnar
    hail_ragnar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    get a bigger damn scale or smaller freakin plates.... or tilt your neck... or weigh each item separately and then put it on the plate.

there are literally thousands of different ways to solve your problem, op. thousands.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

da0.gif
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

The Target in West Hartford/Farmington/over by that mall carries OXO scales with the pull out feature so you can see the display.

Whoa, you're in my area. Nice!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Whoa, you're in my area. Nice!

No I'm not.
    I just know the general area the OP lives in based off of her old account and a short-lived stint (thankfully) in CT
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have this...

oxo-food-scale-with-pullout-display.jpg

the readout slides out...