Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight loss failure

I'm just asking because I'm getting a little frustrated and confused. After trying to lose 0.5kg a week for 3 weeks, I've only ended up lost 0.3kg (instead of 1.5kg to this point) despite sticking to my calorie limit, weighing and recording everything I've eaten and calculating exercise perfect to the minute.

Sometimes I don't even eat my exercise calories back. For example if I'm required to eat 1900 calories a day to lose weight but burn 300 due to exercise, myfitnesspal says I can eat those extra 300 but I'll only eat 50 or 100 back.

Is there something I could be doing wrong? Do I have a medical condition and my body cannot possibly lose weight easily even if I starve myself to death?

Throw anything my way please, I'd rather know what I'm doing wrong instead of wasting my time complaining and crying to you all lol

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Hi, the answer will be in your diary. If you open it people will be able to help you.

A few small tweaks will get you losing, don't worry :)
  • monstrousmina
    monstrousmina Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    What I do that's been helping me is putting everything low and expectations high.
    So for "weight loss per week" I say I want to lose 2 lbs per week and for "activity" I put I'm sedentary.
    That way the your calorie intake goes down too.
    I would say 1900 calories is a little too high.
    Usually when on a diet, the range is 1200-1500...

Also, when I exercise I say that I'm doing 3/4 the time. If I work out 1 hr, I jot down 45 min because that's usually where people go wrong. The calories it says you burn is usually much higher then what you actually burn.
    And if I'm doing light exercises, like walking or cleaning, I don't count those calories.

Make sure you're including everythinnnnng. All your drinks, dressings, spices, flavorings, etc because those add up.

I've been following these rules all while trying to eat whole grain/oats, light protein, fruits and veggies and so far I've lost alost 10 lbs this month.

If you follow all these and still don't see progress after a week I would definitely go see a doctor :)

Hope that helps!
    Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    sapplebana wrote: »
    I'm just asking because I'm getting a little frustrated and confused. After trying to lose 0.5kg a week for 3 weeks, I've only ended up lost 0.3kg (instead of 1.5kg to this point) despite sticking to my calorie limit, weighing and recording everything I've eaten and calculating exercise perfect to the minute.

Sometimes I don't even eat my exercise calories back. For example if I'm required to eat 1900 calories a day to lose weight but burn 300 due to exercise, myfitnesspal says I can eat those extra 300 but I'll only eat 50 or 100 back.

Is there something I could be doing wrong? Do I have a medical condition and my body cannot possibly lose weight easily even if I starve myself to death?

Throw anything my way please, I'd rather know what I'm doing wrong instead of wasting my time complaining and crying to you all lol
    .3 kg a week is a good loss for someone who is so close to goal.
    It takes a longer at this point than it did when you first started. :)

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    If you've just started a new exercise regimen, then you could be holding temporary weight due to you muscles holding water in order to repair themselves. You'll show a drop soon enough.

Otherwise, it's likely to be inaccuracy in logging. It's easier to do than you would think.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    This. Also "starving yourself to death" will add weight because your body will store fat it needs for energy if you're not providing it enough.

Three weeks is a short amount of time, honestly. If you're really that concerned, open your diary and people can help you.

quote="lemonlionheart;33052879"]MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
    [/quote]

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    In addition to what others have said, you shouldn't trust the exercise calorie burn from MFP entries or exercise machines. Try logging 50% of those estimates and eating them back and then adjust this percentage after 3-4 weeks depending on if you lose too fast or slow.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Base your calories off "sedentary" and stop eating back your exercise calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    EzRemake wrote: »
    Base your calories off "sedentary" and stop eating back your exercise calories.

Bad advice. If you use MFP settings you should eat back exercise calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,823 Member
    When I was losing and made mainenance breaks I only lost the first weight again after 2 weeks or so. It always started with a big 2 day whoosh (lots of loo visits), 500 gram or more lost and then things started rolling slowly-ish
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    What I do that's been helping me is putting everything low and expectations high.
    So for "weight loss per week" I say I want to lose 2 lbs per week and for "activity" I put I'm sedentary.

Also, when I exercise I say that I'm doing 3/4 the time. If I work out 1 hr, I jot down 45 min because that's usually where people go wrong. The calories it says you burn is usually much higher then what you actually burn.
    And if I'm doing light exercises, like walking or cleaning, I don't count those calories.

Make sure you're including everythinnnnng. All your drinks, dressings, spices, flavorings, etc because those add up.

I've been following these rules all while trying to eat whole grain/oats, light protein, fruits and veggies and so far I've lost alost 10 lbs this month.

If you follow all these and still don't see progress after a week I would definitely go see a doctor :)

Hope that helps!
    Good luck!

Maybe for a woman. He's a 19 year old boy with only 11 pounds to lose! Why would you promote him under eating?
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Just want to add that 3 weeks is too soon to tell. Weight loss is not linear. Even if you lose .5 kg per week, that's averaged out over several weeks.

For example, I once went 6 weeks with no weight loss. Not a single pound. Then, around week 6, I stepped on the scale, and 6 pounds were gone.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Just want to add that 3 weeks is too soon to tell. Weight loss is not linear. Even if you lose .5 kg per week, that's averaged out over several weeks.

This is especially true if you started a new exercise program at the same time. Exercise (especially lifting) can lead to retaining water as you adjust and to support muscle repair.
  • monstrousmina
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Hope that helps!
    Good luck!

Maybe for a woman. He's a 19 year old boy with only 11 pounds to lose! Why would you promote him under eating?

And how would I know he was a boy? Lol Don't automatically assume I'm promoting undereating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2015

Hope that helps!
    Good luck!

And how would I know he was a boy? Lol Don't automatically assume I'm promoting undereating.

So why give advice without knowing even basic facts about the person you're advising?!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member

Hope that helps!
    Good luck!

Even so, that "range" is highly variable depending on the person. I've been at this a year and a half and only recently was given a goal under 1500.
  • Liftng4Lis

Hope that helps!
    Good luck!

So why give advice without knowing even basic facts about the person you're advising?!

^This!
    One would assume you would have clicked on his avi, prior to making any recommendations.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Yeah mine has been so far from linear lol.
  • monstrousmina

Hope that helps!
    Good luck!

^This!
    One would assume you would have clicked on his avi, prior to making any recommendations.

I actually did do that but no information came up :) But hey! If my advice was so bad, how bout you offer better advice instead of trolling?
    Isn't that what the community posts are about? Helping eachother not bashing people for not knowing? K thanks :)
  • Liftng4Lis

Hope that helps!
    Good luck!

^This!

I actually did do that but no information came up :) But hey! If my advice was so bad, how bout you offer better advice instead of trolling?
    Isn't that what the community posts are about? Helping eachother not bashing people for not knowing? K thanks :)

Actually, anyone that clicked on it, could see he was a young male. Nice backpedaling though. NO ONE can possible give advice until he opens his diary, AS ASKED by the second poster in this thread.
    oaes1dod15t5.jpg