Ideal Protien

Options
I went to my doctor last week and he wants me to go on the IP (ideal Protien diet). I would like some feed back/thoughts from people that have tried it, or know someone who has. please give me the good or bad!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If memory serves, it's a low carb, low calorie diet.
    If you want to use a low carb approach, you don't have to pay for a program like IP.
    I personally don't like plans that require you to eat specific packaged food, as I don't think they are as educational as other approaches (where you learn about what and how much you're eating and how to prepare it yourself).
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    http://www.idealprotein.com/

Vibes from the website are making me say it seems like a BS plan.

OP get a second opinion... doctors aren't experts in diet and nutrition.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this particular diet. Taking a look at the website there's a few things that would concern me and make me want to ask more questions:
    1. It seems quite complex, 4 phases are mentioned but no details on the phases
    2. There's a lot of "product", foods that you are expected to buy from the company promoting the diet
    3. The website has as more marketing material than diet information
    4. The bio of the doctor fronting the diet is very thin
    5. To get the skinny (pun intended) on this plan, you have to go into a center (where you can get signed to a contract presumably)

If the diet puts you into a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, regardless of the extra foods & supplements you might be pushed to buy. The center you have to go to will hold you accountable, but they will also press you to buy those products. I'm guessing the cost will be in the several hundreds of dollars for the service (plan contract and products).

If you feel you need more active help in staying on a weight loss plan, you may want to compare to Weight Watchers, which has it's own issues but is relatively sound.

The best case is for you to set your profile appropriately in MFP and eat to the deficit it gives you, being as accurate as possible weighing your food. It will work, and is free.

Last (or actually the first) thing I might as is if my doctor is getting some spiff for steering patients to this particular program.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I haven't tried this particular diet. Taking a look at the website there's a few things that would concern me and make me want to ask more questions:
    1. It seems quite complex, 4 phases are mentioned but no details on the phases
    2. There's a lot of "product", foods that you are expected to buy from the company promoting the diet
    3. The website has as more marketing material than diet information
    4. The bio of the doctor fronting the diet is very thin
    5. To get the skinny (pun intended) on this plan, you have to go into a center (where you can get signed to a contract presumably)

If the diet puts you into a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, regardless of the extra foods & supplements you might be pushed to buy. The center you have to go to will hold you accountable, but they will also press you to buy those products. I'm guessing the cost will be in the several hundreds of dollars for the service (plan contract and products).

If you feel you need more active help in staying on a weight loss plan, you may want to compare to Weight Watchers, which has it's own issues but is relatively sound.

The best case is for you to set your profile appropriately in MFP and eat to the deficit it gives you, being as accurate as possible weighing your food. It will work, and is free.

Last (or actually the first) thing I might as is if my doctor is getting some spiff for steering patients to this particular program.

And I would ask: WHY does the doctor want her on a low carb diet. Perhaps she's insulin resistant? Diabetic? PCOS?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Another vote for if you need to go low carb for a medical reason, you can learn to do this for free.

There may be some people in the low carb group that have done Ideal Protein: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    GThibz wrote: »
    I went to my doctor last week and he wants me to go on the IP (ideal Protien diet). I would like some feed back/thoughts from people that have tried it, or know someone who has. please give me the good or bad!

why is your doctor telling you to go on this diet?
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I find it very strange for a doctor to recommend that diet. Most doctors would recommend something like Weight Watchers. Like the poster above I'd like to know why did he told you to go on this diet?
  • GThibz
    GThibz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The doctor that I went to is for my sleep apnea, I have tried WW and actually gained weight. I have also tried sticking to calorie count and I exercise 5 days a week. He is telling me that by doing this diet it will reset my keystones and will burn the fat while leaving lean mussel by taking the carbs, dairy and sugars away for a bit that I will stop storing? He also states that there is an end to the program with great results.
  • ndj1979
    edited June 2015
    Options
    GThibz wrote: »
    The doctor that I went to is for my sleep apnea, I have tried WW and actually gained weight. I have also tried sticking to calorie count and I exercise 5 days a week. He is telling me that by doing this diet it will reset my keystones and will burn the fat while leaving lean mussel by taking the carbs, dairy and sugars away for a bit that I will stop storing? He also states that there is an end to the program with great results.

that is so much woo woo, that I would really suggest getting a second opinion.

Here would be advice:

Enter your stats into MFP and set it for one pound per week loss.
    eat to the number MFP gives you
    log everything
    get a food scale and weigh all your foods
    make sure that you use correct MFP database entries
    make sure that you are hitting your micro and macro goals
    realize that you can eat the foods that you like,like ice cream bread, etc; however, make sure that the majority of your foods are coming from nutrient dense sources.
    repeat until you get desired results…

• ndj1979
    Options
    Snoring is caused sometimes by weight gain. Low carb diets are usually "recommended" because they don't have as many calorie dense foods for you to over eat on, but unless youre counting calories even going the low carb route won't help you lose weight any faster then any other route. Keystones isn't even anything in the body lol i just googled it cause i had a "what the hell is that?" moment. sounds like just a word he used to help convince you that is what you needed to do.

I think op meant ketones or ketosis and that s a typo …

however if a dr really told her that I wonder if his last name is Oz….
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    In one of my weaker moments, I signed up for this diet and did it for 3 months. I did lose weight but agree with other posters that you can lose weight just as well by putting together your own diet. The food, for the most part, tasted awful and was quite expensive. I can't imagine why a doctor would recommend only one specific diet that involves considerable money and mostly processed food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If she failed on WW the doctor may be thinking that changing up what she eats will be more successful, as it is for some, and this just may be some version of the low carb plan that he/she knows. I also think that doctors sometimes don't trust patients, especially overweight or obese patients who have been unsuccessful in losing weight in the past, to cut calories, and so like to focus on things like removing foods or even plans that involve preset or purchased meals, to take the discretion out of the patient's hands.

I don't like this, on a personal level I'd find it insulting and want to prove that I am, of course, competent enough to cut calories and change my diet on my own. (However, it would be different if there was some medical issue that required a specific diet.)

If I felt like I needed help understanding what a good diet is or coming up with strategies that would work for me, I would want to be referred to a registered dietician for some advice more tailored to me and that did not focus around a commercial plan or pre-packaged food. (For me it was instead extremely important to come up with the strategies myself and learn as much as I could for myself, but I understand that for some working with a professional can feel easier or more interesting, I guess.)

I wouldn't assume that because WW didn't take one time that cutting calories couldn't work, personally, but I also see no harm in experimenting with food choice/macro levels. The doctor's reasoning, at least as understood by the patient here, is goofy, though.
  • GThibz
    GThibz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No my doctor is not Dr. Oz, I'm not an idiot thanks smart *kitten*! Yes ketosis/ketones it was a auto correct typo.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I read the theory the site has on on weight gain/loss/fat storage. Their science is wrong.

I'd be hesitant to give them money.

It's possible, if you've had issues with dropping weight on a program like Weight Watchers in the past, that you have some kind of issues with insulin resistance. These would improve, along with your sleep apnea, with weight loss.

People with IR can and do lose weight by simply restricting their calories, though some find it easier to also restrict their carbohydrate intake.

Frankly, if I were you, I'd find another doctor.

I agree with your doctor's main idea to encourage weight loss to handle your sleep apnea, but disagree that it's necessary for you to use a program like this to do it.

Losing weight is simple if you apply yourself to it, just follow the instructions in ndj1979's post above, and if you think you'd like to try a low carb way of eating, join the low carb group linked above. You'll still need to watch your calories eating that way.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

The doctor may be fine for doctor stuff. I'd ask for a referral to a registered dietician. Doctors usually aren't great with diet advise and if he/she is just sending her off to some (dreadful sounding) commercial plan, that's not helpful. If the doctor resists the referral, then I'd shop around for a new one, personally.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The doctor may be fine for doctor stuff. I'd ask for a referral to a registered dietician. Doctors usually aren't great with diet advise and if he/she is just sending her off to some (dreadful sounding) commercial plan, that's not helpful. If the doctor resists the referral, then I'd shop around for a new one, personally.

I'd be leery of a tie to a commercial enterprise. That was my thinking.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Yeah, true.