Ideal Protien

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    GThibz wrote: »
    No my doctor is not Dr. Oz, I'm not an idiot thanks smart *kitten*! Yes ketosis/ketones it was a auto correct typo.

OP .

again, do this:
    Enter your stats into MFP and set it for one pound per week loss.
    eat to the number MFP gives you
    log everything
    get a food scale and weigh all your foods
    make sure that you use correct MFP database entries
    make sure that you are hitting your micro and macro goals
    realize that you can eat the foods that you like,like ice cream bread, etc; however, make sure that the majority of your foods are coming from nutrient dense sources.
    repeat until you get desired results…

OR

get a second opinion from a registered dietician ...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    GThibz wrote: »
    I went to my doctor last week and he wants me to go on the IP (ideal Protien diet). I would like some feed back/thoughts from people that have tried it, or know someone who has. please give me the good or bad!

Would you be purchasing a copy of the plan through your doctor? Does your doctor receive a cut or payback for you signing up for this plan?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    OP,
    I would hope you do not take the advice given here defensively. We really do hate to see people taken advantage of by bad diet or fitness programs.

This program is very likely going to be significantly more expensive than Weight Watchers, so you really do need to take a little time and ask yourself why WW didn't work for you before. Was it compliance? Was the plan too complex? Some other factor? If you go into this Ideal Protein plan without addressing that, you will probably not succeed and spend a lot of money doing so.

Sleep apnea is a serious thing and weight loss is recommended for anyone suffering with it. If you feel you need a structured plan, ask your doctor (or better get a second opinion from another doctor or RD) about a weight loss plan.

But optimally, if you can do it for FREE with MFP or a similar tool, you end up far ahead of the game because you can make this work for you well past weight loss.

For a doctor to recommend this particular plan that is heavily marketing driven, I'd have to suspect there is a referral program in place.

But whatever you do, question everything!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I worked for a market research firm, I learned a secret about Doctor's recommendations. The last thing Doctors are concerned about is cost. It rarely enters into their decision making. There may be many options that work as well as IP that cost much less. If money is a concern, then ask, be specific with what you would like to do. Your Doctor may have no idea how much it costs and has just recently read data that says it works.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Ask for a plan that you don't have to pay for.

People buy so much fitness stuff, but you really don't have to pay anyone to lose weight. And no matter how much money you spend, you can't buy your way into thin, either. So, if your money means anything to you, think twice before giving it to someone else so that you can use their plan.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It seems like your dr should refer you to a dietician rather than a specific diet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I believe Ideal Protein is basically a PSMF. As such, and if done absolutely right, it will work extremely well and is conceptually super easy to get. PSMF is the real deal, and about as fast as you can "legally" lose weight without trashing your body.

But it's brutal to execute, and most people cannot stick to it long enough to make a meaningful difference. You need an iron will to make it work.

The good news is that since it's a PSMF, you can just pop on over to Lyle McDonalds site and grab the book for $10 or whatever and spare yourself the cost of the program and special foods etc. Because, basically, you're going to be living on cans of tuna and skinless chicken breast. :drinker: Even most protein powders have too many carbs for this path.
  • katemckenna5
    katemckenna5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My sister lost 90 pounds in 6 months. She gained 120 the year after.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My sister lost 90 pounds in 6 months. She gained 120 the year after.

Using IP or any of the many other diets (including MFP) where folks lost and then re-gained?
  • tashigolean34
    tashigolean34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into low carb or ketogenic diets. Ruled.me is a good site to get info. He may have recommended low carb since you failed at weight watchers. It could be suspects insulin resistance. It could be that he's just heard good things. Low carb/high fat/moderate protein is not necessarily any better than just basic calorie in/calorie out diet plans, but lots of people find that it helps them control cravings much better and prevents binge eating. And, if you are insulin resistant, some find low carb much easier to manage and much more successful for them in the long run. Plus it's free.