Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    sw6709 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    In the food diary, there are several entries for "Breastfeeding" that are -500 calories--add this to one of your meals daily to adjust your total calorie goal without having to reset everything. And then make sure you are adding some calorie-dense foods in to make up the difference. If you lose too much too quickly you could jeopardize your milk supply.
    Based on my weight loss and food intake I have calculated my caloric needs to be roughly 2900... I am looking for specific suggestions of calorie dense foods/ meals to add as I already incorporate several into my diet and not sure how to keep adding. I was eating around 1700 for about a year so I'm lost with all the extra calories

Someone posted a good list above. A lot of those foods (especially olive oil, butter, peanut butter, and such) will definitely increase your calories pretty quickly without having to increase volume as much.

ETA: I also see you chose rice cakes as a snack. Maybe try substituting bread? And not small/diet type bread either. The bigger slice ones that are 100-130 cals a slice.

Alright I'll try and find some higher calorie bread when shopping, the bread I currently have is 85 cal a slice (just regular whole wheat bread) and the rice cakes were 80 for 2, I like rice cakes better so I figured the 5 cal wouldn't really make a difference..

Now you just have to take those rice cakes and spread peanut or almond butter on them--easy way to add calories! Or add a couple pieces of string cheese... A handful of trail mix... Some avocado slices...
  • sw6709
    sw6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    In the food diary, there are several entries for "Breastfeeding" that are -500 calories--add this to one of your meals daily to adjust your total calorie goal without having to reset everything. And then make sure you are adding some calorie-dense foods in to make up the difference. If you lose too much too quickly you could jeopardize your milk supply.
    Based on my weight loss and food intake I have calculated my caloric needs to be roughly 2900... I am looking for specific suggestions of calorie dense foods/ meals to add as I already incorporate several into my diet and not sure how to keep adding. I was eating around 1700 for about a year so I'm lost with all the extra calories

Someone posted a good list above. A lot of those foods (especially olive oil, butter, peanut butter, and such) will definitely increase your calories pretty quickly without having to increase volume as much.

ETA: I also see you chose rice cakes as a snack. Maybe try substituting bread? And not small/diet type bread either. The bigger slice ones that are 100-130 cals a slice.

Alright I'll try and find some higher calorie bread when shopping, the bread I currently have is 85 cal a slice (just regular whole wheat bread) and the rice cakes were 80 for 2, I like rice cakes better so I figured the 5 cal wouldn't really make a difference..

Now you just have to take those rice cakes and spread peanut or almond butter on them--easy way to add calories! Or add a couple pieces of string cheese... A handful of trail mix... Some avocado slices...

.... But I did put 1.5tbsp of peanut butter and honey on them and had a piece of dark chocolate. My bedtime snack was like 350cal
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I don't understand why you seem to be dissatisfied or say, "yeah but" for every suggestion. You asked for calorie dense foods. We gave you a list. I think it's great that you are trying to be healthy for your baby, that you are nursing, that you don't want to lose too much.

Why does it feel like you're still searching for some response you haven't gotten yet?
  • sw6709
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP I don't understand why you seem to be dissatisfied or say, "yeah but" for every suggestion. You asked for calorie dense foods. We gave you a list. I think it's great that you are trying to be healthy for your baby, that you are nursing, that you don't want to lose too much.

Why does it feel like you're still searching for some response you haven't gotten yet?

I haven't said "yea but" to everyone.... I asked for people to have a look at my diary and give suggestions, I'm not sure if they had looked at it as I am doing quite a few off those things already... Should I be eating 3-4 tbsp of Pb a day instead of 2, should I be eating 100g of avocado instead of 50g, should I be eating 100g of nuts instead of 50g... I do want to eat more calories but I do also want to try and stay within my macro ratio and all this fat has me at close to 40%.. In the title I asked for calories AND meal suggestions as I have a hard time coming up with calorie dense meals.. I appreciate all of the suggestions made and those of you who took the time to read and comment. I have received great suggestions that I will be implementing as soon as I can get to the grocery store.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I haven't said "yea but" to everyone.... I asked for people to have a look at my diary and give suggestions, I'm not sure if they had looked at it as I am doing quite a few off those things already... Should I be eating 3-4 tbsp of Pb a day instead of 2, should I be eating 100g of avocado instead of 50g, should I be eating 100g of nuts instead of 50g... I do want to eat more calories but I do also want to try and stay within my macro ratio and all this fat has me at close to 40%.. In the title I asked for calories AND meal suggestions as I have a hard time coming up with calorie dense meals.. I appreciate all of the suggestions made and those of you who took the time to read and comment. I have received great suggestions that I will be implementing as soon as I can get to the grocery store.

The answer is you should be eating whatever foods you like that help you reach your calorie and macro goals. Based on the fact that you are losing weight unintentionally, I would be more focused on getting the calories in any way you can and a little less on the macros right now. Add some of the components listed above if you want, or just add foods you like to your total day. Eat a couple of oreos, or some ice cream. Get a fancy coffee drink at Starbucks.

Also, how long do you intend to nurse for? A year? More/less? The answer to that may influence how drastically you want to change your eating habits. You're only 10 weeks post partum, this weight loss may slow/level off soon.

Calorie dense meals? That could literally be anything. What does your family like to eat? I know you have a newborn, do you have other kids you are cooking for, or a husband/partner?

Here are a few suggestions, but again, I don't know what kind of food you like, or like to cook.

Pasta with pesto, vegetables, chicken or shrimp and garlic bread with gelato for dessert.
    Burrito Bowls with rice, black beans, shredded pork or chicken (I make mine in the crockpot and then freeze leftovers), cheese, sour cream, guacamole or avocado.
    Stir Fry or Curry meal - I make a red curry coconut milk peanut sauce, stir fry chicken and vegetables, and serve that over rice.

Look on Pinterest, All Recipes, Skinny Taste, etc for new recipes to try.

Good luck!
  • runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose 25lbs of baby, placenta, water weight etc in the first month or so. My weight spiked up 4-6lbs right before I had each child. And painkillers such as advil make you retain water.

I'd estimate you lost 18-28lbs of fat in 10 weeks. (15-25lbs of baby related weight).

Breastfeeding alone would take 1lb off a week.

I lost weight rapidly after both children. (and put it back on when I returned to work). Babies make you run around, have you up a night and not a lot of time to think about food.
  • sw6709
    Options

The answer is you should be eating whatever foods you like that help you reach your calorie and macro goals. Based on the fact that you are losing weight unintentionally, I would be more focused on getting the calories in any way you can and a little less on the macros right now. Add some of the components listed above if you want, or just add foods you like to your total day. Eat a couple of oreos, or some ice cream. Get a fancy coffee drink at Starbucks.

Also, how long do you intend to nurse for? A year? More/less? The answer to that may influence how drastically you want to change your eating habits. You're only 10 weeks post partum, this weight loss may slow/level off soon.

Calorie dense meals? That could literally be anything. What does your family like to eat? I know you have a newborn, do you have other kids you are cooking for, or a husband/partner?

Here are a few suggestions, but again, I don't know what kind of food you like, or like to cook.

Pasta with pesto, vegetables, chicken or shrimp and garlic bread with gelato for dessert.
    Burrito Bowls with rice, black beans, shredded pork or chicken (I make mine in the crockpot and then freeze leftovers), cheese, sour cream, guacamole or avocado.
    Stir Fry or Curry meal - I make a red curry coconut milk peanut sauce, stir fry chicken and vegetables, and serve that over rice.

Look on Pinterest, All Recipes, Skinny Taste, etc for new recipes to try.

Good luck!

I hope to be able to nurse for the year, I know I need to increase my calories and I am trying to. I'm just not used to having this much to play around with.
    As for what I like to eat, I'm up for anything. Not picky at all. It is just me, the baby and my So. The problem lies in the fact that I am cooking 90% of the time just for me. My SO has horrible eating habits (drinks soda all day and eats one meal if anything) and most of the time doesn't want anything when he gets home from work so I make myself something. I tend to cook extras of different staple foods (rice, pasta, lentils, quinoa) So that I can add protein/ veggies to it for easy meals throughout the week.

Those meals sound great, and seem easy enough to make extra portions of for later meals. Thanks for your help!