What are your favorite "zero" calorie foods?

Options
roselemonade
roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Disclaimer: I know that "negative" calorie foods aren't real, and most nutrition labels that say 0 calories are lying (at least in the US.)

I really like Hansen's diet black cherry soda and just about every kind of tea. Shirataki noodles are great when I want a giant bowl of something but don't have many calories "left" in the day, though I haven't tried the tofu shirataki noodles that have slightly more calories but are supposed to have a much better texture. Zucchini noodles are also pretty good when prepared well. I used to eat a lot of sugar-free Jell-o during the summer to cool down on hot days. Arctic Zero, on the other hand, was a real disappointment.

With that out of the way, what super low calorie foods and drinks do you like best? Or what did you try that turned out to be super gross?

Replies

• cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero is way gross!
    I freeze raspberries & mint from my garden in icecube trays to add to my tea! Yum!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Water is the only zero calorie food.

Last week I had a strawberry starburst "ice cream" treat. 70 calories. I thought it was very good.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you leave chocolate on a high shelf the calories fall out. So chocolate :p
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mustard, vinegar and hot sauce are my favourite near-0 cal foods, you can really zest up the flavour of other foods with them.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    Options
    How did I not know this??
    @mumblemagic -- you are my new hero!!

• faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I'm going to try this tonight. :p
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

A+ would lol again
  • roselemonade
    Options
    Mustard, vinegar and hot sauce are my favourite near-0 cal foods, you can really zest up the flavour of other foods with them.

I think I have a mustard-hoarding problem. Whenever I see a new/different kind I don't have or haven't tried, I buy them. Thing is, I don't use that much at once (does anybody?) and so the jars pile up in the pantry...
  • faithyang
    Options

I think I have a mustard-hoarding problem. Whenever I see a new/different kind I don't have or haven't tried, I buy them. Thing is, I don't use that much at once (does anybody?) and so the jars pile up in the pantry...

Welcome to the club. :smile:
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    34 degrees natural crisps. Not zero calorie, but 9 crackers is 35 cals and pretty low on carbs. If I want crackers to go with cheese or as a vessel for delicious things these are what I grab.

xy5t8zwvv3rg.jpg
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    mustard, hot sauce, vanilla coke zero, white wine vinegar, and mrs. dash.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I agree with @sdraper2014 regarding the crackers. They are a great very low calorie base for lots of goodies. Lol @mumblemagic. Does that mean I only have to count the marshmallow and graham cracker for my s'mores?
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    Options
    Mmmm...vanilla diet Coke! Oh, and cherry Diet Dr Pepper!
    I found a seasoning mix in our local Amish community that combines sea salt, black & pink peppercorns and garlic! So good!
  • faithyang
    Options
    Oh I suddenly remembered these cashew cookies I bought on discount at the supermarket which I thought were high in calories and to my shock horror it was only 35 cal each, very dense (feels like you're eating a very calorific high fat biscuit but without the side effect, the morish effect and the cal) and nice and buttery/crumbly.

Great with greek coffee (zero calories). A tea time snack I frequently enjoy at 35 cal all up.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I'm the same, my fridge looks full because of all the condiments but I have hardly any actual food!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas, coffee, gum, mio, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, sugar free popsicles, popcorn seasonings on veggies, u/s cashew milk, spinach, cooking spray, strawberries make up a huge part of my diet
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    oh and waldenfarms chocolate and pancake syrup.. I know a lot of ppl dont like them, but I loooove them
  • roselemonade
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    Oh I suddenly remembered these cashew cookies I bought on discount at the supermarket which I thought were high in calories and to my shock horror it was only 35 cal each, very dense (feels like you're eating a very calorific high fat biscuit but without the side effect, the morish effect and the cal) and nice and buttery/crumbly.

Those sound really good, though something tells me they're not available in the US. I like ginger thins a lot (from Ikea, because I do all my grocery shopping at the furniture store) which are 28 calories, though they're very thin (who would guess?) and not that satisfying.

• roselemonade
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    oh and waldenfarms chocolate and pancake syrup.. I know a lot of ppl dont like them, but I loooove them

I've mostly heard about their gross stuff (0 calorie "peanut butter," mayo, etc) but am intrigued by the 0 cal pancake syrup since it seems like fake sugar syrup is pretty hard to mess up. How similar is the taste to regular "pancake syrups"?
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, my fridge looks full because of all the condiments but I have hardly any actual food!

Me too! I'm so OCD, I have bins for all my condiments that takes up the whole top shelf. But I looooove my tamari!

Zucchini noodles and mashed cauliflower have saved my life!