July 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm going to set a goal of 75 I'm miles. I only have a Fitbit to determine my miles, which I know is not hugely accurate. I'm a newbie/beginner. Although I'll be honest, I do a lot more walking than running. But, hey at least I get out there, that's all that counts, right?

@CaitlinAnne111, walking is a fantastic exercise. You can easily make it an aerobic activity by "power" walking. I spent two months strictly walking for exercise before i started running.

If you're interested in more accuracy, you can use a site like http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ to create a route, either before or after your walk/run, and figure out your distance. This is what I used prior to getting a GPS watch. The trick to getting this site to work is to first click the "Start Recording" button on the upper left, double click on the start of your route, then keep double clicking every so often on your route. If you make a mistake, you can "Undo last point". If the site does not want to go on your route, click on "Draw Route: Manually (straight lines)" to go anywhere, then click back on the "Automatically (for runners)" button once you're back on the road or trail.

The MapMyRun/MapMyWalk website has a similar function when you create a route. With those sites you can also track your running live as you do it so you don't need to create a route, but I like to do it for planning purposes. MapMyRun will also sync with MFP to automatically log your calories burned.

Welcome to the thread!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    7/1 - 3.3 miles - usually my rest day, but keeping my streak alive (3 more days!)
    7/2 - 4.6 miles while eating lots of breakfast gnats yuck!
    7/3 - 2.3 miles - short run today - took a new running partner who hasn't run in a while. She did great! It was cooler and raining.
    7/4 - 6.2 miles - last day of my Memorial Day to 4th of July 41 Days of Awesome running challenge.
    7/5 - rest day and travel to El Paso ugh what a trip
    7/6 - 2.5 horrible dreadmill miles
    7/7 - 4.2 miles and 2.25 - went and ran where my boss told me. It was beautiful. It was like 90 and no shade during the run and my breathing is taking a beating, but it was worth to 30 min drive to get there.
    7/8 - 5.5 miles
    7/9 - 3.7 miles
    7/10 rest day
    7/11 - 3.1 miles Strong Girls 5K run today.
    7/12 - 5.6 miles - HOT HOT HOT
    7/13 - 3.5 quick miles - working with the big boss today so I had to be in when he got in.
    7/14 - rest day
    7/15 - 4.3 miles

51 of 100 miles half way to goal - month halfway done..perfect!

exercise.png

@7lenny7 I'm dying laughing about the humidity. So great to run with your daughter and beer tickets no less! Woohoo!
    @stoshew71 love the picture
    @melaniefave41 I hope you feel better
    @crimsonwhite I hate running on sidewalks, especially if they are tree lined cause the trees tear them up

Off to Nashville with Mom!!!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 1.75mi Today was going to be a rest day because my quads are tight and sore but I did it. It was slow and I went on a sandy path instead of pavement to see if it helped and I do feel a little better.
    7/3 - 3.1mi Did my usual hilly path thru the park. Waited until evening to go but it was nice. Completed the first of 2 virtual 5k's. Now I have the rest of the month to improve my time LOL.
    7/6. - 1.6mi Went for a birthday run with my son, which, While I love spending time with him I hate running with him because i am to much slower than him and he always wants to walk LOL.
    7/7. - 3.1 mi Got up at 4:30am to get a run in before work and make up for yesterday. Think I will skip yoga today, I am sure I will pay for it later this week.
    7/10 - 1.85mi Couldn't get my butt out of bed this morning and I paid for it. Very humid, slow run on a hilly trail. I knew I couldn't do the 3 miles I had planned so I worked on powering uphill and maintaining the faster pace after the downhills on the hilly trail I picked.
    7/11- 3 miles Started off badly by forgetting my watch and decided not to turn around and get it. Was also still stiff and sore for my fitness test on Monday. All the strength stuff was "to failure ". But I am glad I went, I saw a doe and fawn and another doe farther down the path. It started out cool and drizzly but stopped halfway thru and ended with nice temperature.

14.4 done and 15.6 to go

• KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 4.05
    7/3 - 6.91
    7/5 - 4.02
    7/6 - 3.05
    7/8 - 4.52
    7/9 - 8.37
    7/11 - 4.29
    7/13 - 3.08
    7/14 - 4.51

exercise.pngPlantar fasciitis is kicking up again.  Trying to soldier on.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm going to set a goal of 75 I'm miles. I only have a Fitbit to determine my miles, which I know is not hugely accurate. I'm a newbie/beginner. Although I'll be honest, I do a lot more walking than running. But, hey at least I get out there, that's all that counts, right?

@CaitlinAnne111, walking is a fantastic exercise. You can easily make it an aerobic activity by "power" walking. I spent two months strictly walking for exercise before i started running.

If you're interested in more accuracy, you can use a site like http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ to create a route, either before or after your walk/run, and figure out your distance. This is what I used prior to getting a GPS watch. The trick to getting this site to work is to first click the "Start Recording" button on the upper left, double click on the start of your route, then keep double clicking every so often on your route. If you make a mistake, you can "Undo last point". If the site does not want to go on your route, click on "Draw Route: Manually (straight lines)" to go anywhere, then click back on the "Automatically (for runners)" button once you're back on the road or trail.

The MapMyRun/MapMyWalk website has a similar function when you create a route. With those sites you can also track your running live as you do it so you don't need to create a route, but I like to do it for planning purposes. MapMyRun will also sync with MFP to automatically log your calories burned.

Welcome to the thread!

When I first started running outside I downloaded the runtastic app on my phone. Mapmyrun, runkeeper, and endomondo are basically all the same thing and would work just as well.

You may also want to look into a run/walk program. C25K is the most popular. Jeff Galloway is also very popular with his run/walk programs.

Good luck and welcome.

• tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options

exercise.png

7/1--glute exercises only
    7/2--1.7(treadmill PT) & calf stretches
    7/3--glute exercises only
    7/4--1.78(first outside run) & glute exercises(spelling corrected. yeesh.)
    7/5--rest
    7/6--2.2(treadmill) & glute exercises
    7/7--PT exercises
    7/8--walk, bike & various exercises during PT
    7/9--2.1(treadmill), bike, & elliptical
    7/10-PT exercises
    7/11-2.14 outside
    7/12-rest
    7/13-2.44(treadmill), bike, & elliptical
    7/14-rest
    7/15-2.67(treadmill), bike & elliptical

I listened to one of the gym instructors and did the elliptical pedaling backwards. I hurt...I want to cry.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Twelve early, hot and humid miles. Felt good though.

7/1 - 12 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (18 miles total)
    7/4 - 16 miles (34 miles total)
    7/5 - 12 miles (46 miles total)
    7/7 - 6 miles (52 total)
    7/8 - 12 miles (64 total)
    7/9 - 6 miles (70 total)
    7/11 - 16 miles (86 total)
    7/14 - 6 miles (92 total)
    7/15 - 12 miles (104 total)

Goal 200 miles

exercise.png

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    5K's yesterday and today which bring me to 46.39/100, and a 10k walk planned for tomorrow.

exercise.png
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    July 1 - 1.75 miles
    July 3 - 1.96 miles
    July 4 - 4.15 miles

July 6 - 1.8 miles
    July 8 - 1.91 miles
    July 10 - 1.78 miles

July 11 - 3.1 miles (Color Run)

exercise.png

exercise.png

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Phew, lots of posts to read, as I have been very busy and did not get a chance to log my runs/walks in the past few days. Looks like everyone is doing great!

exercise.png
    7/1 = 5 miles
    7/2 = 6 miles @ 6 weeks postpartum!
    7/3 = weight training in the morning, 4 miles stroller walk
    7/4 = Rest day, holiday dinner with the family and a very cranky baby. Add a dog terrified by the fireworks, shaking, panting and salivating on my bed, and you get the whole picture of my 4th of July night. Breath in…Breath out…
    7/5 = 4 miles run, hot and humid, but I needed it for my sanity; 3 miles walk with the baby.
    7/6 = 3 miles. Super hot, humid, yucky but an outside run it was!
    7/7 = 2 miles around the block. Very tired today.
    7/8 = 6 miles
    7/9 = Rest day, very much needed!
    7/10 = 5 miles
    7/11 = 4 miles stroller walk, both mommy and baby needed it
    7/12 = 4 miles stroller walk
    7/13 = strength training
    7/14 = 1 mile quick walk
    7/15 = 5 miler run, woohoo! Perfect weather this morning.

Half way through the month! Keep on running, friends
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    18 minutes today. I decided to do each week of c25k two times instead of three. I am getting antsy with these really short runs when I am used to doing 45 minutes+four times a week but I am really trying not to hurt myself again.
    exercise.png
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

My training plan calls for 159...
    7/02/15 - 3 miles
    7/04/15 - 7 miles
    7/05/15 - 6.32
    7/06/15 - 7 miles
    7/08/15 - 7 miles
    7/10/15 - 8.06 miles
    7/11/15 - 3 miles
    7/12/15 - 11.03 miles
    7/13/15 - 5 miles
    7/14/15 - 5.5 miles
    7/15/15 - 5.58 miles

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @CrimsonWhite So the ankle held up fine for 4.75 miles? That's good, the rest days paid off well then
    @7lenny7: Having proof that fitness is good for your health is great! And a new race shirt and new shoes are pretty nice things too. After reading that I kind of feel like I need some new running stuff...
    @shanaber: All the best for your knee, I hope the rest day will make it better.
    @rajnigandha21 Glad to hear things are better and you can go out and enjoy a nice run again.
    @kimlight2 Well done for going out there despite the soreness. Sounds like you were rewarded with a few nice sights; the most exiting things I sometimes see on a run are rabbits or squirrels.
    @CaitlinAnne111 Welcome! I think more or less everyone starts out with lots of walking. Not having totally accurate miles shouldn't be to tragic - when I started running the first time, I didn't have any fitness gadgets, so I had no idea at all about the distance I ran. I just set the goal of run/walking 30 minutes, and when I could run 30 minutes, I just ran a bit longer every now and then. I bought a beautiful little notebook in which I noted the dates and time spent running. Really really low-tech, but somehow that worked too ;-)

--

Yesterday evening, I didn't have much time for running, so I decided to go a bit faster and ended up going 4.8km @ 6:30min/km (well, that's fast for me).
    Today I would have hads lots of time after a TRX class, but only managed 3km @ 7:30min/km. Happens to me nearly every time I go for a run after that class - after the cool-down and walking back to the car to store my stuff there, I feel totally fine. As soon as I take of running, I realise that maybe after 45 minutes of TRX I'm not as rested as I thought ;-)

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    @kellyship17 - Congratulations on your personal best! Way to go!
    @CaitlinAnne111 - Welcome to the group!
    @tdbernrd - I have never tried going backwards on the elliptical sounds tough!
    KOW75 wrote: »
    Plantar fasciitis is kicking up again. Trying to soldier on.
    @KOW75 - take care of that plantar fasciitis. I was out for several months last summer with mine and these are a few things the sports doc had me do and that I have found helped. Stretching and rolling the arch of the foot with a frozen water bottle (also helps the swelling) or a foot massage ball. Stretching my calves before and after I run. I also do this stretch specifically for my feet before every run and it has really helped. http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/toes-pose

Rest day for me today and looking at my run plan up to the half I am not on target to make my goal. It will be the first miss but I should still be close.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    7/1: 6.5 miles
    7/2: 6.5 miles with the Thursday running crew
    7/3: Rest
    7/4: 3.1 miles (New 5k PR of 23:42!)
    7/5: 12 miles
    7/6: 4 miles easy recovery pace
    7/7: 5 miles of easy "I'm drowning in humidity" pace
    7/8: 4 miles
    7/9: 5 miles -- quick, fun ones with the Thursday running group!
    7/10: Rest
    7/11: 3.1 miles
    7/12: 14.3 miles
    7/13: 4 miles easy recovery pace
    7/14: 5 miles
    7/15: 8 miles - Caught in the rain!! Left heel tightness is subsiding and is definitely manageable, but right leg, wtf? Last week my right calf was being a butt, and now my ankle is being a butt! It's gotten much better in the last 24 hours with some heating wrap pads, icing, rolling, etc, and even stopped bugging almost entirely from mile 5 to the end. I think I'm going to switch my rest days back to Tuesdays from Fridays next week and see if that takes care of things, as I keep giving myself these minor injuries on Tuesdays. Curse you, Tuesday!

80.5/175

exercise.png
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    3.7 today. Goofed off a lot on the trail, as I tend to do..... Heard a squirrel chattering away above, then got hit in the head with a stick and had another land right by me. Booger had good aim. And low tolerance for my nonsense, lol! Traps were bare, but there is more rain in the forecast for this weekend. 45.3/80j6194obv2y5a.jpg
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    3.3, and with that I'm 50% of the way with 50% of the month gone!

exercise.png
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Took two rest days, one intentional, one not so much but no regrets.

Today ran my "MAF" HR for 85% of 22km, forcing myself to take it easy as I'm hoping for rapid recovery. Did great with that, felt good, but wasn't willing to walk the last 3km uphill to our home.

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		141.51 km 
    Goal:			200.00 km / 124 miles (70% completed)
    Stretch Goal:		242.00 km / 150 miles (59% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Wed Jul 15 21.89 km City + river path run
    Tue Jul 14 ---- Beer, er, Rest Day
    Mon Jul 13 ---- Rest Day
    Sun Jul 12 21.29 km Lake trail x2 (61.37 km weekly total, 1,173 meters climbing)
    Sat Jul 11 06.20 km City streets
    Fri Jul 10 11.11 km Mountain trail run
    Thu Jul 09 10.79 km Mountain trail run
    Wed Jul 08 ----- Rest day
    Tue Jul 07 11.98 km Mountain trail run
    Mon Jul 06 ----- Rest day
    Sun Jul 05 07.66 km Trail run (86.10 km weekly total, 2,209 meters climbing)
    Sat Jul 04 18.90 km Mountain trail run
    Fri Jul 03 09.84 km Stanley Park
    Thu Jul 02 11.93 km Mountain trail run
    Wed Jul 01 09.99 km River trail run

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    July 01 - 6.3 miles
    July 02 - 3.3 miles
    July 03 - REST
    July 04 - 6.4 miles (10K + 0.2 warmup)
    July 05 - 4.3 miles (3.0 + 1.3)
    July 06 - REST
    July 07 - 5.2 miles
    July 08 - 4.9 miles
    July 09 - Core work
    July 10 - 6.0 miles (4.7 + 1.3)
    July 11 - Sailing!
    July 12 - 7.1 miles <-- Distance PR
    July 13 - 4.6 miles
    July 14 - 3.1 miles
    July 15 - 3.2 miles

July Goal: 90 miles
    Miles so far: 54.4
    Miles left: 35.6

This was to have been a rest day but then I remembered I signed up for the Running Room's 20 minute challenge. Show up, run or walk 20 minutes, get a free running hat. I ended up running 3.2 miles in 36 minutes.

The Running Room is a Canadian based running store but they have a presence in a few states. They were good hosts so I felt compelled to buy something (at a 15% discount for their promotion) and ended up buying some Gu chews, Honey Stingers, and Nuun. I've never used any of that stuff and now that I look at it, I wonder why I bothered buying it now. Wouldn't gummy bears be about the same as the gu chews & honey stingers? I have them, so I'll try them on my longer runs, but let's just call me skeptical.

Saturday I have a hot & muggy 10K to run. I know I want to rest on Friday. Thursday I"m not sure. On one hand, I probably shouldn't run 5 days in a row, but on the other, I don't want two days off in a row and the high is only supposed to be 71F. I'm betting I'll run.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 That challenge sounds great! I love free stuff! And it's funny that you compare GU and Stinger chews to gummy bears. I've been thinking about abandoning my gels and taking gummy bears and other real foods after lots of people in my running group have talked about eating gummies & fruit and drinking Coke during marathons, lol.