7/5 ... 10
    7/6 ... 2
    7/7 ... 6.5
    7/9 ... 3
    7/11 ... 18
    7/13 ... 4
    7/14 ... 5.5

69.5/150 goal

I am completely impressed with you all that run in the humitity and heat! We are completely spoiled here on the coast in terms of weather with 90% of our days being between 50-70 degrees.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Goal 40 miles
    Completed 21
    plus 3 on 7/13
    Total 24 with 16 to go
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Being from the New York/New Jersey area I hate to admit that people are always just busy going about their business and don't do the pleasantry (is that a word) thing. When I moved here to the South I had to breathe when I was out somewhere because I just wanted to get things done, I didn't want to chat with the check out lady at every store I went in to ha ha! Now I get pissed off if someone doesn't look at me when we are walking towards each other. Oh how things change. When I run on the greenway everyone says hello how are you things like that, with the exception of bikers (who ignore me totally) except for 1 or 2 and this one young guy who runs. I want to say to him "oh honey you are not all that", instead I say hi or wave and he doesn't and I say "well maybe you'll be polite next time we meet" as I keep running. :smile:

@jimcrackindandy you have my prayers, but you won't need them to stay in front of the sweeper, you will do awesome!
    @ddmom0811 fantastic run!
  • oOoNICKIoOo
    oOoNICKIoOo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello!

This is my first time doing this and I'm just starting to get into running. Seeing everyone else's number is a bit daunting, so in comparison I'm starting very VERY low. We'll see how this goes though :)

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @oOoNICKIoOo , taking it slow is exactly how you should start. I pushed a bit too hard when I started and paid for it with many days of downtime. Thankfully it wasn't serious, but I learned my lesson and I make sure don't push hard...ok I *try* not to push to hard, but sometimes I do and I'm reminded again by various aches and pains that I shouldn't.

If you're just starting, 10 miles is a great goal. There's no reason to compare yourself to anyone else here. There are some runners here with monster miles but every one of them started out just like you and built up to those big numbers over a long period of time.

Welcome to the challenge!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @oOoNICKIoOo , taking it slow is exactly how you should start. I pushed a bit too hard when I started and paid for it with many days of downtime. Thankfully it wasn't serious, but I learned my lesson and I make sure don't push hard...ok I *try* not to push to hard, but sometimes I do and I'm reminded again by various aches and pains that I shouldn't.

If you're just starting, 10 miles is a great goal. There's no reason to compare yourself to anyone else here. There are some runners here with monster miles but every one of them started out just like you and built up to those big numbers over a long period of time.

What he said ^^^^ When I started doing this challenge last year I started at like 30 miles and now I do between 100 and 130 on a pretty regular basis. Plus we are all just nice, welcome!
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    7/2 - 2.34 miles
    7/4 - 6.1 miles
    7/6 - 2.94 miles
    7/7 - 4 miles
    7/8 - 2.42 miles
    7/9 - 3.56
    7/10 - 4.01
    7/13 - 4.5
    7/14 - 5.3

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

What he said ^^^^ When I started doing this challenge last year I started at like 30 miles and now I do between 100 and 130 on a pretty regular basis. Plus we are all just nice, welcome!
    Ditto the above. I think my first challenge was in the 30-40 mile range, and at that point I had run a 10k and was in training for a half marathon, if I recall correctly. So even then that was not my beginner mileage.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Go @JoRocka!!
    @419er, hopefully you'll get to make it back to our fair metropolis again some time.
    @ddmom0811, Yes, there is a certain bit of truth to "Minnesota Nice", plus I'm a big believer in the whole "Do unto others" thing. Regarding exchanging a greeting with other runners, that's one thing I noticed when I start running around our area, which is a Minneapolis suburb, is that the other male runners almost universally say high, give me an up nod, or a quick wave of the hand. With females, it's about 50/50, but I can understand a gal not really wanting to invite any attention from a strange guy and that doesn't bother me. When it get's awkward sometimes is when I'm running around a nearby pond with a 1.23 mile trail. You meet someone going the other way and do the nod thing, or some other greeting. Then halfway around you see them again and it's a bit less enthusiastic, but still friendly. Halfway around again, then again, then again...there comes a point your not sure what to do. I just find it funny is all.

The funniest time was when it started raining on my run. I passed a walker with an umbrella. He said high and kind of chuckled. As the we passed over and over (and the rain kept coming down harder), he'd laugh harder and harder watching me getting drenched as I ran, while he remained relatively dry under his umbrella. I couldn't help but laugh myself, but I was loving being in that rain shower.

@skippygirlsmom, I'm crazy, but not THAT crazy. That was a typo, I mean to say "thankfully it was *not* as humid as predicted".

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    XjtzlAX.jpg
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mommarobb wrote: »
    I would like to join. I walk, don't run ( not yet anyways ) I eventually want to but need to lose a little more weight.

Maybe, maybe not. I started when I was 105 pounds overweight last fall. I'd had pneumonia earlier in the year. Couldn't "run" even 1km without stopping. Frequently.

Secret: Run slow. Build as you go. That's how you get from 0K to 5K to 10K and beyond (if you want).

Welcome to the group! :smiley:

• melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a run to let you know that you are in fact sick. Four very rough miles, but with nice scenery. (I was already at the trail, figured I might as well suffer through it.) 41.6/80
    wsvieg8hmgov.jpg
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 That's a fantastic message!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I absolutely love this, the colour run scene has me in stitches :')
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

My training plan calls for 159...
    7/02/15 - 3 miles
    7/04/15 - 7 miles
    7/05/15 - 6.32
    7/06/15 - 7 miles
    7/08/15 - 7 miles
    7/10/15 - 8.06 miles
    7/11/15 - 3 miles
    7/12/15 - 11.03 miles
    7/13/15 - 5 miles
    7/14/15 - 5.5 miles

exercise.png
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Pretty serious T-storms/lightning cut last night's run short, another 20 min.

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    5 miles today, through a cloudburst and mugginess.

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    5 more miles through wooded trails today up north with a friend as my flight last night was cancelled. Finally boarding my rescheduled flight back to Florida after another 5 hours of delays (including 6 miles of airport walking to kill time).

7/1 - 6 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:45 pace)
    7/3 - 5 miles w. strides
    7/5 - 13 miles
    7/6 - 6.5 miles
    7/7 - 7 miles w. strides
    7/9 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:43 pace)
    7/10 - 6 miles
    7/11 - 5.5 miles
    7/12 - 10.5 miles
    7/13 - 8.5 miles
    7/14 - 5 miles

Total: 85 miles, 2 speedwork session
    Goal: 140 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 55 miles, 3 speedwork sessions
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Took a bit of a break-was out walking the dog the other day and stepped off the sidewalk to let some people by, and rolled my ankle. I'm sure I looked quite graceful ;) I rested it up some for a couple of days, and it felt much better today. So I figured I would try a slow and easy treadmill run (no sidewalk tracks to trip over at least), and see how it goes. Got in 4.75 miles, and I believe that gets me up to 19.25 out of 35 miles.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    July 01 - 6.3 miles
    July 02 - 3.3 miles
    July 03 - REST
    July 04 - 6.4 miles (10K + 0.2 warmup)
    July 05 - 4.3 miles (3.0 + 1.3)
    July 06 - REST
    July 07 - 5.2 miles
    July 08 - 4.9 miles
    July 09 - Core work
    July 10 - 6.0 miles (4.7 + 1.3)
    July 11 - Sailing!
    July 12 - 7.1 miles <-- Distance PR
    July 13 - 4.5 miles
    July 14 - 3.1 miles

July Goal: 90 miles
    Miles so far: 51.2
    Miles left: 38.8

This was supposed to be a rest day but ended up running 3.1 with my daughter. When I got home from work we went the LRS to register for the TorchLight 5K that runs next week. By registering at the store we got to get our shirts and bibs early. A bonus for me is that each registration includes two beer tickets. She's too young to drink so I'll get hers, but she IS old enough to drive so she'll get to do that ;)

Anyway, after getting our packet, she was fired up to run. We both got ready and it turned out we both donned our new race shirt so we were quite a pair. My new Asics Cumulus kicks showed up today too, so I was eager to try those out. They were fantastic! Now with three pair of running shoes, I feel legit!