Sugar substitutes, any good choices out there?

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    All substitutes taste nasty to me so i just use real sugar and fit it into my calories for the day

I bought xylitol for something else and have used this successfully in recipes but the birch xylitol is prohibitively expensive. Other than that, ya, they all taste nasty to me too and I just budget for real sugar.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Just remember @shawnmstout There is no good and bad food....there is TOO MUCH food that harms ( think of medical issues) us and or make us gain weight.

And in medical i mean that you can have an allergy for certain foods, or are a diabetic or like me i cant have salt for my exploding BP.
    This doesn't mean that foods are bad.

It means you cant have them or you have to watch out with them.
    So base your opinions on your own health and body.

I love...love salt... crisps bring them on.. sandwich meats yummmm But i have to be wise. I eat them dont get me wrong. I balance them out with my other ( healthier choices).
    So with sugar and artificial sweeteners
    I love tea but i take a sweetener in it. But i sure eat my fruits ( which have sugar too).

I am a strong believer that you can eat everything you want ( as long you have no medical issue with certain foods) as long as you dont eat TOO MUCH that is the only danger.

Makes sense but that super sized triple baconator meal from wendys is where that philosophy goes wrong at. I mean there are some foods that are really bad for our body. by the way, my last time i cheated that is what i ate which is why i brought it up, ouch!!!

I wouldn't say the baconator is bad for you per say, just hard to fit into a daily calorie goal for most.

zl3f855b7528.png

And on topic, I don't really like the taste of artificial sweeteners. I just like regular sugar in my coffee in the morning.

But if i want it i sure would make room for it lol

I have my eye on some poultine...never ate it and i want to try it.. But not for sale here. and the one time i saw it in a menu it was sold out, lol faith was with me is my guess
    But yeah i would make things fit when i want them.

• shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just remember @shawnmstout There is no good and bad food....there is TOO MUCH food that harms ( think of medical issues) us and or make us gain weight.

And in medical i mean that you can have an allergy for certain foods, or are a diabetic or like me i cant have salt for my exploding BP.

I love...love salt... crisps bring them on.. sandwich meats yummmm But i have to be wise. I eat them dont get me wrong. I balance them out with my other ( healthier choices).
    I love tea but i take a sweetener in it. But i sure eat my fruits ( which have sugar too).

I am a strong believer that you can eat everything you want ( as long you have no medical issue with certain foods) as long as you dont eat TOO MUCH that is the only danger.

Makes sense but that super sized triple baconator meal from wendys is where that philosophy goes wrong at. I mean there are some foods that are really bad for our body. by the way, my last time i cheated that is what i ate which is why i brought it up, ouch!!!

I wouldn't say the baconator is bad for you per say, just hard to fit into a daily calorie goal for most.

zl3f855b7528.png

And on topic, I don't really like the taste of artificial sweeteners. I just like regular sugar in my coffee in the morning.

high saturated fat, high sodium, high carbs, i guess pretty much high everything (even protein). that is just the baconator, i had the large meal.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

zl3f855b7528.png

But if i want it i sure would make room for it lol

I have my eye on some poultine...never ate it and i want to try it.. But not for sale here. and the one time i saw it in a menu it was sold out, lol faith was with me is my guess
    But yeah i would make things fit when i want them.

Heck yeah!
    I haven't had one in so long- now I can barely finish the sandwich without being stuffed. But if I want one I'll make room for it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

zl3f855b7528.png

high saturated fat, high sodium, high carbs, i guess pretty much high everything (even protein). that is just the baconator, i had the large meal.

But if it fits into someone's goals for the day, it's not necessarily bad for them. I'm not saying eat one every day, but as an occasional meal and it fits someones goals- I say go for it.

• shawnmstout
    Options

zl3f855b7528.png

But if it fits into someone's goals for the day, it's not necessarily bad for them. I'm not saying eat one every day, but as an occasional meal and it fits someones goals- I say go for it.

well now i dont feel so bad, thanks :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    The pink one is good.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Its all personal.
    For me i am not really a sweet person ( yes pun intended) but like my Truvia on some things like oats

and in my fruit smoothie in the afternoon. Which is right now...so off to the kitchen and make my banana/strawberries ice smoothie. Just because it fits in my calorie allowance and because i like all kinds of ice...water cream smoothie i dont care... as long as there is ice in it. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Kierasm1 wrote: »
    I'm all about sucralose when I'm usinog a substitute.

hi I'm currently using sucralose do you have any recommendations on a good brand
    Sucralose is sucralose. I haven't noticed any difference between name brands, store brands, and what goes in my water enhancer (store brand Mio).
  • amw212s
    amw212s Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I evaluate the claims based on evidence. The anti-artificial sweetener arguments IMO, land in the fear-mongering category. Solid double-blind peer reviewed studies consistently show that the approved artificial sweeteners are safe.

Artificial sweeteners have not hindered my weight loss in the least. I use aspartame, sucralose, and stevia, no matter how they are packaged or hidden in foods.

Stevia, by the way, has not been approved by the FDA as a sugar replacement, and is instead marketed as a nutritional supplement (less stringent testing required). It's popular because it is perceived to be more "natural", being a leaf extract.

[Edited to add a trusted opinion.]

Hooray! Thanks for the research. I hate stevia as a stand alone. I use it in baking with xylitol, but like sucrslose in non baked goods. I blend the xylitol to make powdered sugar. Swerve is just a brand name xylitol that's more expensive. I buy it at a health food store. Largest bag lasts months.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    this is my first experience with any artificial sweetener.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Granulated Splenda. I buy it on Amazon in the giant bags.
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think it is a very individual thing. At one time I stopped using artificial sweeteners for nearly a year and that made dieting harder. I am able to stay trim much easier with them. I do like stevia. I don't think diet soft drinks are "the devil" as many would have us believe...love to get a diet fountain drink on a summer afternoon at the sip and pump.

I agree. While I try to limit my sweets, either real sugar or artificial, I find that a diet soda is very satisfying and will keep me from making food choices I'll regret later, especially at a social event.
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've used stevia for years (esp in my coffee or Yerba Mate tea). I carry the packets in my purse. No guilty feelings here if I use a little Splenda once in awhile too.