salads...before...along with or after meal?

Options
anyatanu
anyatanu Posts: 35 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi
Im tanu..on weight loss program.
I have doubt regarding consumption of salads ( generally tomato..cucumber nd onion) .Should i have it before my meal or along with or after meal.
Is there any scientific reason also behind of eating pattern of salads?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No science. It is a cultural and personal thing. :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I like to eat salad first, because I end up eating less of everything else if I'm already partly full. Often 60 calories of salad will make it easy to eat 200-300 fewer calories of an entree.

If you are going to eat the same amount of food regardless, I can't see why the order would make a difference.
  • MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    personal preference mate, I sometimes eat salad just as a meal by itself, other times i have it along with whatever i'm eating sometimes not at all. As long as you keep the salad helathy and limit the amount of (potentially) fatty salad dressing used you can have it whenever
  • anyatanu
    anyatanu Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thx fr clearing doubt.
    once you start opting for healthy lifestyle so many questions cme in mind whether im doing this rte or wrng and thankfully MFP has make it easy to move me in correct direction :)

• mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I normally make a large salad and make it a meal. If I am at a restaurant though I will eat it before my meal.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I like to eat salad first, because I end up eating less of everything else if I'm already partly full. Often 60 calories of salad will make it easy to eat 200-300 fewer calories of an entree.

If you are going to eat the same amount of food regardless, I can't see why the order would make a difference.

I do this, too. Except sometimes I wait too long to ear dinner and am really hungry, so I'll nuke my entree and eat it and then go back into the kitchen to make a salad.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm not a rabbit, I don't eat salad! ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm not a rabbit, I don't eat salad! ;)

Liar...I know you'd eat this:

72ed5ea6f9e31c74eb3596679a8d8604.jpg
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    anyatanu wrote: »
    Is there any scientific reason also behind of eating pattern of salads?

No.

• goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like to eat my salad last - gives me something to do while deciding whether or not I am hungry enough to need seconds. Usually I take more than 20 minutes over the meal so no longer have any desire for second helpings by the time I have chewed my way through a large salad.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's more of a cultural thing. Your typical restaurant will serve it first, but a few do it continental-style. One side of my family always served it last, the other side didn't eat salad. To them, salad was the thing you were offered before real food showed up - the thing you turn down, lol.

At home, i usually have it with the food, especially if the food is hot. It's a nice contrast. :)
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's more of a cultural thing. Your typical restaurant will serve it first, but a few do it continental-style. One side of my family always served it last, ...

At home, i usually have it with the food, especially if the food is hot. It's a nice contrast. :)

If we're not making a big, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink salad as a whole meal, our family likes to have salad last, as a kind of palate-cleanser.

Here's how Babette, in one of my favorite movies, paced her special dinner in "Babbette's Feast" (though there isn't much I'd actually like to eat here):

The seven-course menu in the film consisted of
    "Potage à la Tortue" (turtle soup) served with Amontillado sherry;
    "Blinis Demidoff" (buckwheat cakes with caviar and sour cream) served with Veuve Cliquot champagne;
    "Cailles en Sarcophage" (quail in puff pastry shell with foie gras and truffle sauce) served with Clos de Vougeot Pinot Noir;
    an endive salad;
    "Savarin au Rhum avec des Figues et Fruit Glacée" (rum sponge cake with figs and candied cherries) served with champagne;
    assorted cheeses and fruits served with sauterne; and
    coffee with Louis XIII de Rémy Martin cognac.

Palate cleanser: after the meal, before dessert(s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babette's_Feast#Menu
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have done all three. In Italy, salad is usually served after the entree, as a digestive.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Always before. I always save the best and main dish for last.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I always have salad with my meal, on the same plate.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I serve salad with our meal. I think it is a cultural thing to serve a part of the meal family style on the table
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

On a plate? LOL I use a huge bowl.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

On a plate? LOL I use a huge bowl.

Haha good point. I usually make sure that when I have salad with a meal, that it covers half my plate.
    Also, I couldn't be bothered with the extra dishes :tongue:

• hurleygurl8903
    hurleygurl8903 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that you are actually supposed to eat your protein first, then veggie and then a carb. The reason is because protein is hardest for our bodies to digest and takes the longest. By eating it first you ensure that enough enzymes are given to digest it and you'll feel fuller longer. I used to always eat salad first because I thought it helped me eat less but that's not true. It expands your stomach and you end up eating more. If you ever watch the food eating contests the contestants will eat a head of iceberg lettuce right before to make more room in their stomachs.

Great job getting more salads in your diet!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I like to eat it last, because 1) it's just my preference & what I'm used to; 2) I find raw veg easier to digest with something already in my stomach; 3) if I wasn't 100% full, the vinegar in the salad helps get rid of any residual appetite.