How important is the # on the scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The number matters.

Your other number that is the other half of the story is the tape measure numbers.

There is nothing wrong with knowing the details of your body. It is a good idea. LBM matters.

It sounds like you have really done well in body recomposition.

Congrats!!

• Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My opinion about this is different from most of you; to me the number on the scale is quite important. I lose weight to become better at my sports (triathlon). The less I weigh, the faster I will finish. It's simple physics.

Of course this is only true if what I lose is body fat, not muscle, and until a certain optimum. So BF% is also an important indicator.

I like it that I look better in the mirror, but that is not my main objective.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm at the highest weight I've ever been but I look better than I ever have before. I'm 5'3" and weigh 130lbs. My weight has ranged from 105-130. My clothing size is the same as when I weighed 117 but I have defined muscle now. Anyone else have the same result? I just can't get over the # on the scale! ugh

That's a good thing!
    I'm a similar height and weight to you and before i "saw the light" Lol....i thought i'd have to get back to my previous weight from a few years ago (118-120 lbs).
    At that weight i would look too scrawny up top, so decided to stay around 128 and do a body recomp instead.
    I'd rather gain more muscle, than lose more weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Seigla wrote: »
    My opinion about this is different from most of you; to me the number on the scale is quite important. I lose weight to become better at my sports (triathlon). The less I weigh, the faster I will finish. It's simple physics.

Of course this is only true if what I lose is body fat, not muscle, and until a certain optimum. So BF% is also an important indicator.

I like it that I look better in the mirror, but that is not my main objective.
    Of course, appearance isn't the only metric. It just seems to be the one guiding OP's thoughts at the moment. For you, it would be a different, but no more or less valid, metric.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Edited to address your issue. Girl quit playing and get over that damn scale. Your body composition is better than when you weighed less. You LOOK BETTER. EFF the scale. I wear a size 2 at 5'7 and 140 lbs. You think I care about the scale. NOPE.
    Now to address the people who usually trip about the scale.

It is important.
    If I'm in a deficit, I want to see a downward trend.
    If I'm in a surplus I want to see and upward trend and at a rate in which I'm comfortable.
    If I am maintaining I want to be +/-5

Its important to know where you are IF you have a goal.

The problem people have with scales is they use them too often.

When I first started out I was hopping on that thing everyday several times a day. I had to get myself together so I only checked once a week on Sunday.

I've been maintaining for over a year recomping. I've weighed myself less than 10 times in 12 months.

The only reason I stepped on the scale is bc my clothes were loose, I felt like I was bloated, or I look super lean.

Tying your worth to a scale is problematic, weighing more than once a week is problematic.

The scale isn't the problem. How we interact with the scale is the problem.

that said, I can understand how for some it can be a problem. My scale STAYS out of sight.

What I try to remember if I stray from my diet...3500 cal over maintenance = 1 lb. My maintenance is about 2100 cal I didn't eat over 5000 cal in a single day...I wont gain a lb. I may hold water from sodium or carb over load but it wil go away. The science keeps me grounded. Once you know the math and science you can get over the scale playing with you.