IIFYM....plateau

Options
erojoy
erojoy Posts: 554 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Quick question to anyone that has a lot of experience with IIFYM and one that has always confused me about IIFYM. Lets say you eat all of your calories for the day but your macros are all still short. Do you eat to fulfill your macros or do you start over the next day and focus your meal around them instead of the calories. I can almost always hit protein and fat, but carbs i'm stuck. I feel like I'm eating so much but just don't reach it.

I'm 5'11.5'' 207 lbs

I don't have premium so my numbers are a little fudged.

Calories 1934
Carbohydrates 242 g 50 %
Fat 54 g 25 %
Protein 121 g 25 %

I work out 3 days a week doing heavy lifting (Bench PR 100, Squat 185, DL 185, etc). I play soccer two days a week and do additional cardio on gym days at around 30 minutes of walk run usually totaling around 2.5 miles, but avg 7 miles per day. I'm active I move, I lift, I eat, but one thing I don't do IS LOSE.

Can you see anything right off the bat that could tell you why?

**Also please do not try to sell me on fad diets, this is what I am interested in, I just need help to make it work for me.

***I also opened up my diary for now in case anyone wants to look at it. Not too exciting. haha.

Replies

• KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I never worry about what the calories say. I eat to make sure my macros hit my numbers. If you hit your macros on point, then your calories should pretty much even out.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    erojoy wrote: »
    Quick question to anyone that has a lot of experience with IIFYM and one that has always confused me about IIFYM. Lets say you eat all of your calories for the day but your macros are all still short. Do you eat to fulfill your macros or do you start over the next day and focus your meal around them instead of the calories. I can almost always hit protein and fat, but carbs i'm stuck. I feel like I'm eating so much but just don't reach it.

I'm 5'11.5'' 207 lbs

Calories 1934
    Carbohydrates 242 g 50 %
    Fat 54 g 25 %
    Protein 121 g 25 %

I work out 3 days a week doing heavy lifting (Bench PR 100, Squat 185, DL 185, etc). I play soccer two days a week and do additional cardio on gym days at around 30 minutes of walk run usually totaling around 2.5 miles, but avg 7 miles per day. I'm active I move, I lift, I eat, but one thing I don't do IS LOSE.

**Also please do not try to sell me on fad diets, this is what I am interested in, I just need help to make it work for me.

Wait, so you are out of calories but still under on macros? I would guess that you are using inaccurate entries, which probably means their are inaccuracies elsewhere.

Carbs and protein = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram.
    Do the math and look at your entries to see where the mistake is.

As far as not losing, the general concensus is to improve accuracy. You are probably eating more than you think. Are you weighing your food?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you've maxed out your calories and are short on macros then you either have erroneous entries or you're over on other macros. If you've maxed out your calories, you stop eating...that's way more important than hitting some macro bang on.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

I'm 5'11.5'' 207 lbs

Calories 1934
    Carbohydrates 242 g 50 %
    Fat 54 g 25 %
    Protein 121 g 25 %

Wait, so you are out of calories but still under on macros? I would guess that you are using inaccurate entries, which probably means their are inaccuracies elsewhere.

As far as not losing, the general concensus is to improve accuracy. You are probably eating more than you think. Are you weighing your food?

This is what I am thinking (unless you're drinking a lot of alcohol).
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your protein and fat targets, and under your calorie target, you shouldn't need to worry about your carbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'm 5'11.5'' 207 lbs

Calories 1934
    Carbohydrates 242 g 50 %
    Fat 54 g 25 %
    Protein 121 g 25 %

This is what I am thinking (unless you're drinking a lot of alcohol).

My two thoughts exactly.

Macros sure are a personal thing. I'd be starving with those ratios.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hitting the macros you like, try switching up some foods in your diet. For example, I noticed you had an isogenix shake for breakfast yesterday, which is 24g of protein for 240 calories. My protein is 24g of protein in 120 calories. That could free up a fair amount of calories (or give you twice as much protein for the same amount of calories).

I guess it mostly depends on where you feel like you are lacking, and if you feel your macro breakdown is helping you hit your goals (and keeping you satiated).
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ^even if the match makes sense, if someone eats avocados, cheese, nuts and whey shakes all day, they could feasibly hit their fats and protein without hitting carbs.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Most likely due to rounding errors. Some labels' calories don't match up with the 4, 4, 9 calculation, too.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

I'm 5'11.5'' 207 lbs

Calories 1934
    Carbohydrates 242 g 50 %
    Fat 54 g 25 %
    Protein 121 g 25 %

***I also opened up my diary for now in case anyone wants to look at it. Not too exciting. haha.

No, I stop eating when I've used up my calories. Macros don't have to be perfect, and it isn't worthwhile to eat more calories just to get a "better" ratio. If you are hitting protein and fat, don't worry if you don't have the perfect amount of carbs. If you feel like you aren't getting enough fiber (due to lack of carbs), then by all means REPLACE a little protein or fat with some carbs, but don't ADD on top to create a surplus of calories.

I look at it this way: If I am about to eat my last meal and I am short on a macro, then I try to adjust my meal accordingly, within reason. So it might mean taking away the cheese and adding more veggies. But I don't add more food after I've met my calorie budget. Does that make sense?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of entries in the database that have a calorie value but do not have macro nutrient value. A couple of these items in your diary would explain it. Fiber can also be a culprit. Food labels can list fiber towards carbs and calories, and sometimes not. Plus, looking at your diary, you add back in exercise calories which alters your goals. It makes it hard to follow.
  • dsweingartner
    dsweingartner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't know a lot about nutrition nor the ins and outs of IIFYM diets, but scrolling through your diet I do see you fairly consistently going over on your fats, and under (sometimes very largely) under on your protein. When you are saying you "are hitting your proteins and fats" are you saying that you are getting to the allotted amount and stopping, or seeing it as a "minimum" requirement? You do tend to have a large amount of carbs available at the end of your days, but unless you are trying to add muscle, I would probably focus more on balancing out your fats and protein.

The math seems to add up. From the short span of the week that I previewed, a lot of your over calories would be coming from fat. Move some of that to your carbs (sure) or protein (definitely!) and I think you could see some changes.

More importantly, hows your water consumption? You're going to lose a lot of water with the activities you've described and some days your are going pretty high sodium (granted you'll lose some while exercising) you may be retaining water.

PS: I'm digging the hard apple cider for breakfast (hey, honesty is super important!).
  • erojoy
    Options
    What you guys are saying does make a lot of sense. Bad thing is like 80% I take right off of food labels. I wish I had the time to make everything fresh, but I don't even have time for a prep day. It is so frustrating. I just want to figure this out, because I work so damn hard at the gym. Ok, I'm going to have to take a look at those calorie to carb/fat/protein ratio, if you guys really think that I should be a lot closer to hitting them then something is wrong.

Also @vismal is there a way to turn that off even? The whole negative calories net calories thing always confuses me.
  • slaite1
    Options
    What you guys are saying does make a lot of sense. Bad thing is like 80% I take right off of food labels. I wish I had the time to make everything fresh, but I don't even have time for a prep day. It is so frustrating. I just want to figure this out, because I work so damn hard at the gym. Ok, I'm going to have to take a look at those calorie to carb/fat/protein ratio, if you guys really think that I should be a lot closer to hitting them then something is wrong.

Also @vismal is there a way to turn that off even? The whole negative calories net calories thing always confuses me.

Not meeting macros perfectly will not stall weight loss-underestimating calories will. The point was that if you are using inaccurate entries, you probably have other inaccuracies as well.

It is good to hit your macros for numerous reasons-but as long as you're within your calorie goals you should be losing weight. Get more accurate (easily done with a food scale). Then you will lose weight
  • erojoy
    Options
    I certainly don't know a lot about nutrition nor the ins and outs of IIFYM diets, but scrolling through your diet I do see you fairly consistently going over on your fats, and under (sometimes very largely) under on your protein. When you are saying you "are hitting your proteins and fats" are you saying that you are getting to the allotted amount and stopping, or seeing it as a "minimum" requirement? You do tend to have a large amount of carbs available at the end of your days, but unless you are trying to add muscle, I would probably focus more on balancing out your fats and protein.

The math seems to add up. From the short span of the week that I previewed, a lot of your over calories would be coming from fat. Move some of that to your carbs (sure) or protein (definitely!) and I think you could see some changes.

More importantly, hows your water consumption? You're going to lose a lot of water with the activities you've described and some days your are going pretty high sodium (granted you'll lose some while exercising) you may be retaining water.

PS: I'm digging the hard apple cider for breakfast (hey, honesty is super important!).

You are not wrong, my fats are baaadd. Usually with protein shakes, eggs, and chicken i get close to protein, but I think I need to rework what I'm eating. I just am one of those people with so little time for myself. I drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. That's the goal. I forget to always log it, but I drink this huge 1.18 L water bottle 2 times per day and then half of one more.

...so move over fat to protein. Ok got it. I'll work on that.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

I just don't log exercise on MFP. I log my exercise in a notebook. There's also a way to input it as a custom exercise and count it as 1 calorie burned so it still tracks the workout but doesn't mess with your totals. Someone else here I'm sure can chime in on how to do that. If you want some help with IIFYM, I put together a series of videos on getting started with it, including answers to common problems that come up. Feel free to check it out: http://goo.gl/zqIv6H
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

you're going to have inherent rounding errors for starters. secondly, it's great to be aware of your macros...but obsessing about them to this extent is a bit ridiculous...there's nothing magical about hitting your macros bang on. IMO, you're worry yourself a lot for nothing.
  • erojoy
    Options
    Not meeting macros perfectly will not stall weight loss-underestimating calories will. The point was that if you are using inaccurate entries, you probably have other inaccuracies as well.

It is good to hit your macros for numerous reasons-but as long as you're within your calorie goals you should be losing weight. Get more accurate (easily done with a food scale). Then you will lose weight

I have a food scale, I just have to prepare more of my own food. Simple, I know...if only i had the time. :neutral:
  • slaite1
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

I just don't log exercise on MFP. I log my exercise in a notebook. There's also a way to input it as a custom exercise and count it as 1 calorie burned so it still tracks the workout but doesn't mess with your totals. Someone else here I'm sure can chime in on how to do that. If you want some help with IIFYM, I put together a series of videos on getting started with it, including answers to common problems that come up. Feel free to check it out: http://goo.gl/zqIv6H

If you're on the app just select the exercise, and click on the line that shows the calories, change it to 1.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It's good to try to hit your macros but more important to not go over you caloric deficit. Unless you just want an excuse to eat more :)