anyone else on 1000cal and struggling?

Options
Hi there I was wondering if anyone else is doing an 1000 cal diet and if they have late lost weight? also I'm finding it hard to get motivated to exercise on 1000 calories I know that if I eat exercise I can eat more but I still feel unmotivated how much do you guys exercise on 1000 calorie diet?

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    That's not very many, 1000.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    1000 kcal is likely way too little. How did you determine this number?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You're 22 and are only trying to lose 11 pounds. You do not need to be on a 1000-calorie diet to lose weight.

Why not bump it up 300-500 calories, lose a little slower, but have the energy to exercise?

I know it's frustrating to lose slowly, but it's HARD to starve (and that's pretty much what it is at that point). I've done 1200/day so I know what it's like, but I had to be absolutely meticulous about my nutrition. Nothing but vegetables, lean protein, and a bit of fat day in, day out. No treats, no starches, just green food and a little fish or chicken, pretty much. Obsessive calculation of macro and micro nutrients. No meals out. No treats. It's hard and it's not a lot of fun in the long term and it's not necessary for someone young with not too much weight to lose. You can still lose weight with a few more calories and you won't feel so bad about it.
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that 1200 to 1300 is the minimum for women and 2000 for men. 1000 is way to low. You will likely create metabolic damage at 1000. Your body will think it's starving and hold on to everything.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Do you weigh all your food with a food scale?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. No good will come of this. Don't even bother modifying you calorie plan, toss it out completely and start over. Have you actually calculated your TDEE? What is your age, height, weight, how much are you trying to lose, and what is your exercise program?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eat.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine a 1000 calorie diet. That ish cray.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Btbeam wrote: »
    It has been my experience that 1200 to 1300 is the minimum for women and 2000 for men. 1000 is way to low. You will likely create metabolic damage at 1000. Your body will think it's starving and hold on to everything.

-1500 is the recommended minimum for men
    -You're right that it's too low
    -You're right that she could experience health consequences from a sustained VLCD, if not metabolic damage
    -The body DOES NOT hold on to fat if you don't eat enough. What actually happens is you lose lean body mass more quickly. So you lose weight, but a higher percentage of the weight lost will be muscle along with the fat lost.
  • georgiarosea
    georgiarosea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for this, I was adviced by MFP to eat 1200 calories but I didn't think that I would lose weight quick enough. I'll change it to 1200 and exercise aswell
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm just making ends meet on 1500, so I can imagine 1000 would be tough. Unnecessary, even.
  • georgiarosea
    Options
    What are your stats? Do you weigh all your food with a food scale?

Hi, no I don't weigh all my food. I just bought some scales. Do you recommend?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for this, I was adviced by MFP to eat 1200 calories but I didn't think that I would lose weight quick enough. I'll change it to 1200 and exercise aswell

1200 may still not be ideal. That is MFPs default when you push the extremes of the software. You may not have a lot to lose, in which case a slower approach may be more beneficial. What are your stats?
  • georgiarosea
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Agree with above. No good will come of this. Don't even bother modifying you calorie plan, toss it out completely and start over. Have you actually calculated your TDEE? What is your age, height, weight, how much are you trying to lose, and what is your exercise program?

What is tdee? I'm 22, 6ft, 75kg, and want to lose 5-10kg. And currently not sure about how much to exercises
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Weight loss isn't a race. Although, slow and steady wins every time.