Sugar Addiction

Options
So I have a BAD sugar addiction! I thought my caffeine was bad, but nothing compares to my sugar. I'm lucky right now that I'm breastfeeding and that's helping keeping the extra weiht I'd be gaining from it off, but I think that will be ending soon. I need advice on how to limit my sugar intake. I find myself hunting it down, I CRAVE it all the time. So any advice is greatly appreciated

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Were you like this before pregnancy/baby? I remember being ridiculously hungry while breastfeeding, and as far as foods containing sugar (sweets, etc), there is a degree of comfort associated with them, as well as a boost of quick energy, which might also be why you feel you are drawn to sugar right now, especially if you aren't getting a lot of sleep.

My advice would be to find some time (ha!) to meal prep and snack prep so you have non-sugary treats that are easily accessible, which could help when the impulse hits because you have other options. Keep some foods with natural sugars in the house (fresh fruits), and look for some lower calorie options for sweets to keep around for when you need chocolate or a sweet. Fiber One makes brownies that provide the sweetness but also decent fiber, Skinny Cow makes chocolates that aren't bad, and you can find frozen greek yogurt bars and low cal ice creams/frozen treats.

And not saying this is you (but it's definitely me), if you find yourself eating because you're feeling stressed or overwhelmed, it might be worth it to talk to someone, or just sit down and see if you can find some ways to get things in your life more organized. I find when everything else is all over the place, it's easy to slip into that with food as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Were you like this before pregnancy/baby? I remember being ridiculously hungry while breastfeeding, and as far as foods containing sugar (sweets, etc), there is a degree of comfort associated with them, as well as a boost of quick energy, which might also be why you feel you are drawn to sugar right now, especially if you aren't getting a lot of sleep.

This is a good point.

Even without breastfeeding and a new baby, I know that I tend to crave sugar when I am sleep-deprived. My body interprets that low energy/exhausted feeling as needing a quick energy pick-me-up from sugar, although of course if you give in that plays into the cycle, often.

One thing that can help (as the sleep is likely out of your control) is focusing on fueling yourself as well as possible and perhaps trying not to eat sugary foods on their own, as that can play into the short term energy then crash pattern, if you are having it. For me it's always easier to think about adding things rather than cutting them out, so I was able to get rid of a feeling that I was out of control with foods (for me it was about stress and lack of sleep and emotional eating) by trying to put together a regular schedule where I'd eat a good balance of nutrient-dense foods. Being well fueled and satiated helped me realize it was just habit that was making me think I wanted to eat at other times. If you do want to snack I'd focus on planned times and balance (include some protein, for example). I found I could still eat some sweets with it making me feel out of control if I did it with other foods (like a small dessert after a meal).

I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I find it much easier if there are set times when I eat and at other times I don't eat, and then my mind stops with the "do I want to eat now?" stuff at other times of the day. Since many snack foods are sweet, I wonder if this is part of the feeling that some have that they can't stop eating sweets.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ So much yes to both above replies.

Feeling tired has and does cause a definite spike in my 'desire' for sugary foods but it does also cause a quick up feeling and then an even quicker down back straight into the same old tired state....but it isn't an addiction.

Breastfeeding, recovery; as well as looking after a young baby will certainly leave you feeling depleted and worn out. Long, broken and sleepless nights and the extra demands on your body from said breastfeeding and recovery left me absolutely ravenous.

Maybe you can enlist the help of friends/family to give you a hand - many people want to help new parents and make the offer but don't know where to start. I asked for and accepted ALL offers of help - got friends to make meals that could be portioned out and frozen for later.

If *time* and *energy* (hard to find either) allows garner as many non-sugary snacks/foods around you that you can reach for in that ravenous moment. Or get yourself pre-packaged snack sized versions of your preferred sugary treats that you can have one of rather than eat the whole block or whatever.

Try and I mean this with no sarcasm to get as much extra rest in as you can.....if baby is napping then have a lie down yourself, even if you don't/can't fall off to sleep laying there in a relaxed state is helpful for your body/mind - maybe look into listening to some pod-casts or meditation if that interests you. This can help re-charge your batteries.....

Also try if you feel up to it to get out with bubs and have a walk out in the "real" World......the outside World can feel like a distance memory when you are a new parent and this too can add to the desire to 'comfort' eat.

Congratulations and wishing you all the best.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Might be hormonal. Honestly the best thing to do is to try and avoid it.. I do ok with moderation usually but when my hormones go nuts, if I give in, it's going to be awful all day.
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was actually having the same problem a month ago....couldn't get enough of my sweet treats - the "monkey" was definitely clinging to my back! Ate a whole Pepperidge Farm Double Chocolate cake in 2 sittings....in 2 days!

A friend of mine here gave me a challenge for the month of June - to keep my carbs to 100g/day & sugars to 30g/day - right before a 5-day vacation out of state nontheless. I thought it would be hard, but actually, aside from the time it takes to pre-plan my day and rearrange some choices - it's been surprisingly easy and I've lost about 4 pounds this past month and the most important thing - the reason she challenged me - is that I don't CRAVE the sugar any more. If I do crave something sweet, I usually reach for an Atikins bar/candy which is low in carbs & sugar and oh, so much better than 1/2 a chocolate cake and totally satisfies the monkey!

Wishing you the best - and congratulations on the little bambino!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    To add to all above...a midwife friend said to always sip water (caffeine free fluids) when you breastfeed..breastfeeding can make you particularly thirsty (I found this). You can flavour it with fruit etc which might help with the cravings too.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You need a lot more sleep. Tons of regular sleep would solve these cravings. B)
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You need a lot more sleep. Tons of regular sleep would solve these cravings. B)

If only it were that simple.....

Yes sleep is VERY important but to say that sleep in and of itself will 'cure' sugar cravings is not true.

If the research is credible then you have solved one of the World's greatest challenges - not to overeat in times of stress.....and yes having a tiny baby to look after is stressful. You may need sleep or any myriad of things like a little time to yourself and bub's has other ideas.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    People always tell new moms to sleep when the baby does. Do you? I know I didn't! I intended to, but it seems like there was never time. If you can, though, let the spitty bibs sit in a bucket. Leave dishes to soak. Skip the shower. Skip everything and try to get some rest. It can all wait.

Taking care of a new baby - especially the first baby! - is nerve-wracking and exhausting. Get your rest.

I don't know the secret to resisting cravings, but do agree with others that under-sleeping leads to wanting more food.

Congratulations on the new baby, by the way! :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can definitely correlate crazy high sugar craving days to lack of sleep the night before.
    In an ideal world we'd all get the recommended amount of sleep every night...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    bbywby10 wrote: »
    So I have a BAD sugar addiction! I thought my caffeine was bad, but nothing compares to my sugar. I'm lucky right now that I'm breastfeeding and that's helping keeping the extra weiht I'd be gaining from it off, but I think that will be ending soon. I need advice on how to limit my sugar intake. I find myself hunting it down, I CRAVE it all the time. So any advice is greatly appreciated

What was the diagnostic criteria you used to determine you have a bad sugar addiction? Since you don't appear to be a rodent, there is scant evidence sugar addiction exists in humans
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - if your sugar addiction is truly that bad then check yourself into rehab or seek professional help. Lack of will power does not equal addiction.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - if your sugar addiction is truly that bad then check yourself into rehab or seek professional help. Lack of will power does not equal addiction.
    The bolded can not be stressed enough.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    The bolded can not be stressed enough.

+1
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I remember when my youngest, in particular, was breastfeeding, I craved sugar badly. It definitely was my body's response to a lack of sleep. It wanted some energy!!!!

The funny thing was that I was low carbing at the time. I added some fruit and yogurt to my diet to help with both my milk production and the cravings and my energy levels.
  • lesleelose75
    lesleelose75 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don’t try to eliminate sugar all at once. I just started my Life Style change 3 weeks ago. I was so amazed how little sugar you get to consume with only be able to have 40 g of sugar per day. So far I have gone from putting 6 table spoons of sugar in my 2 cups of coffee (in the morning) down to 2 table spoons of sugar. I gradually decreased my sugar. It is working for me. 2 table spoons now seems sweet enough. I actually feel better without all the sugar. I hope that this can work for you, too.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Don’t try to eliminate sugar all at once. I just started my Life Style change 3 weeks ago. I was so amazed how little sugar you get to consume with only be able to have 40 g of sugar per day. So far I have gone from putting 6 table spoons of sugar in my 2 cups of coffee (in the morning) down to 2 table spoons of sugar. I gradually decreased my sugar. It is working for me. 2 table spoons now seems sweet enough. I actually feel better without all the sugar. I hope that this can work for you, too.

Yikes, 3 tablespoons :open_mouth: I thought I was bad having 3 teaspoons in each cup of tea. But like you said, it's easy to slowly cut down. I don't have any sugar in my tea now, and it tastes horribly sweet if there is any in there.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Yikes, 3 tablespoons :open_mouth: I thought I was bad having 3 teaspoons in each cup of tea. But like you said, it's easy to slowly cut down. I don't have any sugar in my tea now, and it tastes horribly sweet if there is any in there.

70 + grams of sugar a day and still losing
  • Christine_72
    Options

70 + grams of sugar a day and still losing

Same here :tongue:
    I'm just saying I enjoy my tea just as much now without sugar, as I did with it. Mind you, I have around 8 cups a day, so 21 teaspoons of sugar just in my one beverage is a bit unnecessary IMO.

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me, I allow myself extra fruits all day, I make sure I drink a green smoothie every day, and I drink peppermint tea at night to quell the sweet tooth. Best of luck!