Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    GWehsling wrote: »
    You can eat too much fibre and too much vitamin C.

Take care.

Too much vitamin C?? You just pee out what your body doesn't absorb.

I take 10g of vitC powder everyday on top of whatever i'm getting from food

Vitamin C toxicity is a thing. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-c/faq-20058030

Obv fruit isn't the only source, but supplementing on top of a natural intake that is adequate seems dubious,.

I'm taking high doses per my periodontist. She recommended 20g, which is 20,000mg I believe??
    I started off on that dose, but went down to 10g daily because it was getting too expensive.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Amazing work - congratulations! :D
    yarwell wrote: »
    GWehsling wrote: »
    You can eat too much fibre and too much vitamin C.

Take care.

Too much vitamin C?? You just pee out what your body doesn't absorb.

I take 10g of vitC powder everyday on top of whatever i'm getting from food

Vitamin C toxicity is a thing. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-c/faq-20058030

Obv fruit isn't the only source, but supplementing on top of a natural intake that is adequate seems dubious,.

I don't know about former smokers, but I know current smokers do need more vitamin C.

Who knows if that matters long-term, though. In a couple of studies both current and former smokers had increased lung cancer risk with synthetic beta carotene / Vitamin A (but were fine with it from natural sources)

both the CARET and ATBC studies showed a significant increase in lung cancer risk among study participants taking beta-carotene supplements or beta-carotene and retinyl palmitate supplements.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/

so multivitamins might be worth staying away from

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MVMS-HealthProfessional/

(just a heads up)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the whole reason I've got this problem in the first place of because of years of stupid bloody smoking
  • spatt786
    spatt786 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the same, but have you tried making iced herbal teas and -fruit teas- most of them are little to no calories, you could sweeten them with a tiny bit of honey or agava until your able to drink it straight or even try it straight a lot of the fruit infusions are already nice. Could even try adding fresh fruit in there instead. I'm only saying this because it's helped me cut way back on diet Pepsi and fruit juice, I also have a soda stream machine and make tea pops when I want the bubbles.

I have always been a straight up sweet tea drinker, fresh brewed daily and I would have it no other way. I didn't like adding anything to my tea except for sugar and it had to be the same flavor, no lemon, raspberry, no instant tea. So I'm not sure I would like herbal fruit tea, BUT, I am willing to give it a try. I might just try it straight since I haven't adjusted my taste buds to anything certain teas yet. I think that's the best way to go.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    spatt786 wrote: »
    My real question is can you really over do it on the fruit? I've read that as long as you are eating natural sugars along with the fiber, it is ok. Thoughts?

Sure, you can overdo anything.

For me, though, overdoing it on fruit would mean (1) eating so much that I was going over my calories; (2) eating so much that I was low on protein or fat (there are minimum amounts of both you need and with protein in particular eating more than the minimum can help maintain muscle when losing weight and keep you satiated); or (3) if I found there to be some other negative effect on me, digestively, for example, or if I thought I wasn't as satisfied as if I had a bit more of some other food or combination of foods.

As an aside, "sugar" shouldn't really be the scapegoat people make it, also, just as the "fat makes you fat" thing was never sensible. The issue with lots of sugary foods is calories and low nutrient density, so you don't want them to be huge parts of your diet, but not because the sugar itself is necessarily a problem. It can be if you are insulin resistant, of course. (A lot of the calories aren't even from sugar, also, but fat.) So it's not that "natural sugar" is different from cane or beet sugar added to foods, but that fruit gives you a whole package including things you need like fiber and micronutrients and tend to be lower calorie and for many of us more filling.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    spatt786 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the support. I guess I'm feeling frustrated because I am craving and having a hard time sticking to food/exercise regime regularly, but I guess it could be worse. I have only gained 5lbs when most gain 20. I have kicked 2 habits, but can't manage to kick the sugar.

Try experimenting with cutting back the fruit a bit and adding in more protein. I find that I stay satisfied longer if I get more protein (and to a lesser degree fat). Also veggies add volume and have low calories, so I'd up those. When I was doing 1250 I based every meal around protein and LOTS of veggies and then added in other things as the calories fit. To the extent I snacked I made sure I had some protein in those too--some greek yogurt with the fruit, for example.

People get satiated by different combinations of things, so it's worth experimenting, though--what works for others of us won't necessarily be the thing that works for you.

Huge congrats on stopping smoking and not gaining much.
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    too much of anything is poisoning, even water
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Short answer, yes, you can eat too much fruit. It's pretty easy to tell when you have, though - you'll get a case of the runs and potentially bloating and gas, basically.

The body makes a fructose transporter which essentially transports the fructose from the intestines to the blood stream. However, the body only makes so much of this (I think it's called GLUT5). If you eat more fructose than you have fructose transporter available, then you have excess fructose left in your intestines. The gut bacteria feast on this and that is part of what starts to cause the gas and so on.

There's a condition called fructose malabsorption where folks basically don't make enough of this transporter and so their fructose levels have to stay very low to keep from reacting. But everyone has a, well, I guess I'd call it a fructose threshold where they can't eat any more fruit without having problems.

Other than that, though, it's only a problem if you're getting so full on fruit that you're neglecting foods that would give you other nutrients you need, is all. :-)