cold water, room temperature or warm water to drink?

Options
13»

Replies

• kittykaida
    kittykaida Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Now, I have always prefered ice water because I like the cold, (that and i love to crunch ice cubes) but yes, it actually does.

Burns about 70-80 calories per day apparently.

here, science and stuff.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kilocalories are the sort you use when measuring the energy in food. Not calories. Burning a few calories with cold water won't do anything for you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Neil deGrasse Tyson
    @neiltyson
    Wanna lose 1200 Calories a month? Drink a liter of ice water a day. You burn the energy just raising the water to body temp.

1200 calories a month...why the weight's just flying off!

Does a calorie weigh more or less than muscle?

That's deep.....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Boiling.

You have to drink it boiling. It burns a lot of calories. And by calories, I mean your esophagus and the lining of your stomach. It's really a great way to lose weight, since you won't want to eat anything for a while.

Its really hot here and when I drink warm water I start sweating :(
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why do people believe this makes any difference at all

Personally I like my soft drinks room temperature ... but I don't mind cold

White wine has to be cold though

And coffee hot .. like my m... oh never mind

It's the same group that logs "dusting" as exercise.

It is physical activity and u sweat alot .. trust me . I never logged it but when I do.I do feel my heart rate going up and I sweat.. :)

It's not the sweating that is burning calories, it's sustaining an elevated heartbeat during cardio activity that burns more calories than anything. If sweating was all it took I'd never been fat because I sweat like a swine.

Dusting is not considered cardio and is generally part of your daily activity level.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If your concerned with ice cold water or warm water for weight loss, then you need to go back and start from the beginning...
    All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. It makes no difference if you drink cold or hot water.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd you try to go for a walk but are texting and get hit by a sprinkler and run home to shower, do you still get credit for the whole walk?

I vote yes.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It can't make enough difference to matter.

I like mine with ice, in a Tervis tumbler. :)

Now, tumbler does matter......

Mine is a sports bottle works well for me. :)

I use those when I'm out. :)
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Good question. I don't think water hot or cold really makes that terribly much of a difference, although water on its own DOES contribute to weight loss by hydrating your body, flushing out salts, keeping your hunger in check by reducing hunger from dehydration.
    However, there's alot of conflicting info floating about. For example, Asians believe that warm/hot water 'melts' fats, flushes the system/digestive system of oils from oily foods, aids in digestion and also keeps the body's core 'balanced'. I respect Asian medicinal wisdom as you're talking about 5,000 years of culture from various Indian/Chinese medicine knowledge - SOME of those things have to come from observation and time-honoured practices.
    Yet I read lots, mostly Western sources, that cold water aids in speeding up metabolism in a minute way because your body has to work harder to keep your body temp 'warmer'.

A friend of mine when asked why she drank hot water with every meal asked me if I had ever put chicken soup or some meat dish in a fridge. I said yes of course. She said, have you ever taken it out after it has chilled to find all the fats coagulated at the top? I said, yes of course. She said, that's what many Asians sort of believe about cold water and it aiding in 'fat retainment'.

I myself used to prefer cold drinks. But I find hot drinks very soothing and tend to go through many cups of green tea and black teas a day. Sometimes I finish a dinner with a spicy ginger-masala tea because its so soothing.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why do people believe this makes any difference at all

Personally I like my soft drinks room temperature ... but I don't mind cold

White wine has to be cold though

And coffee hot .. like my m... oh never mind

Do you use ice with the soft drink? Or do you drink at room temperature?

And yes to the wine being cold and hot coffee. Okay, we all caught up?

Oh, the question of temperature of water and weight loss. You will lose weight by drinking water at any temperature( only AT A CALORIC DEFICIT. . . .phew OMG. . . . .that was close). You will also lose weight by not drinking water. Ultimately, the former is a better option.
  • faithyang
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd you try to go for a walk but are texting and get hit by a sprinkler and run home to shower, do you still get credit for the whole walk?

I vote yes.

Depends on how far out I'm at. If I'm barely 10 steps out I just suck it up and keep walking. Else meh, I just go back and count it as a walk.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Oh man. My mom used to date a sciencey person who was adamant that drinking hot beverages on a hot day prompts your body to cool itself after the fact. For me, that is pure misery in 40 degrees (C). Like we're not machines, we're human creatures. Iced water for me, all the way.

For whatever reason, room temp water gives me the impression I'm drinking saliva or some other bodily fluid, or standing water, or something else that's just wrong.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You shower because you got hit by a sprinkler?

Why?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Boiling.
    You have to drink it boiling. It burns a lot of calories. And by calories, I mean your esophagus
    and the lining of your stomach. It's really a great way to lose weight, since you won't want to
    eat anything for a while.
    That's actually kinda brilliant, because healing wounds takes lots of calories.
  • faithyang
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Boiling.
    You have to drink it boiling. It burns a lot of calories. And by calories, I mean your esophagus
    and the lining of your stomach. It's really a great way to lose weight, since you won't want to
    eat anything for a while.
    That's actually kinda brilliant, because healing wounds takes lots of calories.

That's so true! Plus the fact you won't be able to swallow for days! AWESOME WEIGHT LOSS TIP FOR GUARANTEED WEIGHT LOSS. :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Neil deGrasse Tyson
    @neiltyson
    Wanna lose 1200 Calories a month? Drink a liter of ice water a day. You burn the energy just raising the water to body temp.

1200 calories a month...why the weight's just flying off!

Haha that's the quote I was looking for. I don't know why I thought it was only 100. Still though, that's not a huge difference...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1200 calories a month... why the weight's just flying off!
    But hey, if you drink 3L of ice water a day, you'd lose 1 lb a month changing nothing else.
    (Actually, you'd probably burn even more calories from the extra walking... frequent trips
    to the bathroom.)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Kilocalories are the sort you use when measuring the energy in food. Not calories. Burning a few calories with cold water won't do anything for you.
    Yes, that's already taken into account in NDT's comment above. You have to also keep in mind, 1 true calorie is 1 mL of water, 1 degree C. So 1 L of water 1 degree C is 1 kCal of heat. Going from a simplified perfect 0 to human body temperature of 36 C (this is where the 98.6 in F comes from), you get 36 kCal / liter a day, assuming the water leaves heated full body temperature. Over 31 days, it comes out at 1116 kCal.
  • Kalikel
    edited July 2015
    Options

I vote yes.

What?

I didn't mean to post that there...well, here. I'd delete it if I could, lol.

Since someone asked, our sprinklers use reclaimed water, so it's best to wash it off quickly. :) None of this matters. :)