Difficult to say no!

Options
amyr271
amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else find it really difficult to say no to food? My Mum and boyfriend are aware of how serious I am about trying to lose weight so they don't offer my unhealthy food any more.

However, I am sitting at work on my lunch break eating my tuna salad and my manager brings in donuts for everyone and I am finding it really difficult to say no, not due to peer pressure or anything but self-control?

Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you overcome it? I can feel myself rationalising a donut already..

Replies

• nguyenlychee
    nguyenlychee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can empathize... there's always free chips and snacks at work. If I knew how to resist, I'd tell you :persevere:
  • berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just use good ole fashion willpower
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well you have a few options. 1. Eat a donut or a half of donut and fit it in your calories, 2. you can eat your food first and ensure you bring filling foods so you won't want to eat 'junk" food, or 3. just walk away and so no thank you.

Just realize, these foods will always be around and it's ok to have them once in awhile.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think of the things I won't be able to have if I'm tempted to indulge, like a really filling meal (because I'm determined to stay within my daily goals regarding calories and nutrients). If I'd already met (or planned and logged) my targets and had calories left over, I'd stuff my face without a second's thought ;-)

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You should have a meeting with the boss and tell him he needs to stop bringing in donuts because you have no self control and everyone in the office should be aware and supportive of your goals. He should email everyone. I mean, your mom and boyfriend got the memo, right?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    You should have a meeting with the boss and tell him he needs to stop bringing in donuts because you have no self control and everyone in the office should be aware and supportive of your goals. He should email everyone. I mean, your mom and boyfriend got the memo, right?

I'm 99% this is suppose to be tongue in cheek???
  • drywall_painter
    drywall_painter Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Never ending battle !
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Realize how much exercise you need to do to work off the calories sometimes works for me. It's a daily battle, you have to want the weight loss more than the donut. I wish it was easier.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't much like doughnuts so this particular food wouldn't tempt me. But if it were something like, say, really good-quality bakery cookies, I'd finish my lunch and leave the break room, telling myself I could have a cookie in an hour if I still really wanted it. If my lunch was filling enough, I'd probably forget about the cookies in that time. But if I still really wanted a cookie an hour later, I'd start by eating one or two bites of one, and think hard about whether it was really that good; often in reality it isn't. But if it were really that good, I'd eat it and log it and move on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's tough for sure. Just ask yourself if the donut is worth being hungry later for, or if you can fit it in your calories and still feel satisfied later.
  • amyr271
    Options
    I have finished my lunch and I am full (they are also out of sight) so it's not too bad but by 4 - 4:30 I'm gonna find it difficult! But I am feeling strong, a couple of weeks ago I would have eaten them as soon as they entered the office!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I tell my donuts in a firm calm voice "No! Stay in the box!" They always obey.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Pre-log the donut. Think about how if you eat the donut you might have to eat less of other food later or exercise more to stick to your calorie goal. The donut probably won't be very filling for the amount of calories. Is a whole donut or half a donut worth it to you? If it is, then have it. It is okay to fit a donut in your calories.
    Eat the donut slowly and savor it. Maybe drink a full glass of water while you eat it to slow yourself down.

If you don't want a donut then don't take one. Get busy with other things and move on. You don't have to eat something just because it is there. Donuts are not rare items. If you don't eat one today it isn't like you could never have a donut. You can eat food you like all the time but sometimes it isn't going to seem worth it to spend a lot of calories on something that won't do much for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it really difficult to say no to food? My Mum and boyfriend are aware of how serious I am about trying to lose weight so they don't offer my unhealthy food any more.

However, I am sitting at work on my lunch break eating my tuna salad and my manager brings in donuts for everyone and I am finding it really difficult to say no, not due to peer pressure or anything but self-control?

Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you overcome it? I can feel myself rationalising a donut already..

I overcame this problem by making baked goods for everyone myself. My applecake, etc., doesn't make me sick the way donuts do. I did this every Monday for three months, and thereafter for birthdays, and got three raises that year :smiley:

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Seconding the pre-logging thing. When you can see the impact on your daily intake, it deflates the craving a bit. I also think about the temporary nature of said treat. Yeah, I can eat half a donut, but that's going to be gone in like - 10 seconds. Then I have to cut from every other meal to fit my goal. And this for a 10-second treat.

Not saying it's foolproof. 75% of the time, I do abstain, but 25% I end up indulging anyway.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    until you want to lose weight more than you want a donut, you'll have issues.

or, log the donut and move on with life.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I overcame this problem by making baked goods for everyone myself. My applecake, etc., doesn't make me sick the way donuts do. I did this every Monday for three months, and thereafter for birthdays, and got three raises that year :smiley:

Raises. Interrrresting..........
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's really tough :/ I struggle with this frequently. Recently I've been trying to remind myself that just because it's there doesn't mean I have to eat it. I've also been working on making sure I have lower-calorie options available for when cravings hit, so that I can still indulge a little bit but not feel so guilty about it.
  • amyr271
    Options
    Thank you for your help guys, really given me the motivation to just say no! Now eaten the rest of my lunch to satisfy my craving!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Have a donut. Just fit it in your calorie count.