Difficult to say no!

Options
2»

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I probably would have thrown out the tuna salad and just ate a donut for lunch.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't much like doughnuts so this particular food wouldn't tempt me.

That's it. I have officially heard everything now.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I also suck at self control and saying no.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    At first, I had that problem a lot. Now, not as much.

I just make up my mind to skip it and then let my desire to be healthy triumph over the momentary temptation to indulge.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I don't much like doughnuts so this particular food wouldn't tempt me.

That's it. I have officially heard everything now.

They're just not my thing, except for sometimes a French cruller. Cookies, though -- now you're talking!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it really difficult to say no to food? My Mum and boyfriend are aware of how serious I am about trying to lose weight so they don't offer my unhealthy food any more.

However, I am sitting at work on my lunch break eating my tuna salad and my manager brings in donuts for everyone and I am finding it really difficult to say no, not due to peer pressure or anything but self-control?

Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you overcome it? I can feel myself rationalising a donut already..

It was difficult for me too at the begging. So I would start to bring in fun size MM's. and when I would feel the urge to eat something, I would have the MM"s.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital, and I'm surrounded by nurses every day. They absolutely love potlucks, donuts, and candy. It happens *all* the time.

Basically I just stick to "no" and practice it constantly. After the first few years, I developed the reputation of being the guy who always says no to donuts, cake, and candy. Then there's no problem.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you really want it figure out the calories and decide if you can only afford 1/2 of it in your daily count or not. If you know 1 hr on the elliptical = 400 calories (that is not an actual number) then plan that to eat the cookie you need to prioritize 1/2 hr on the elliptical for the 200 calorie cookie. If the tradeoff doesn't seem good enough then I won't do it. Another thing to consider is if you have a yummy reward worked into your daily count, perhaps the cookie is not as good as that reward you already have planned as your treat for the day. Tell yourself it's a choice of one or the other. I used to allow myself a glass of wine with some cheese at the end of the day and most snacks didn't seem as appealing as that so I could easily say to myself "a better reward is later".

Thirdly, if you are not going to work it into your calorie count, then you need to just accept that you prefer food over being skinny. (or whatever the goal is) Personally, many of those snacks are not as good as being fit.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I probably would have thrown out the tuna salad and just ate a donut for lunch.

We have a local donut shop that just opened a store on my side of town...they are apparently heaven in a little round food. I'm pretty sure the calories for one donut would be half of my calorie goal for a day, but the only thing that's really stopping me from going there is the fact that it's apparently packed from morning till night and I don't do crowds well.

Who knew agoraphobia was a weight loss aid?
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I keep healthy snacks available like fiber one bars, fresh sliced veggies, handful of almonds, low calorie popcorn.
  • SRHelm1
    SRHelm1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. I try to make it a game...like I'm better than that donut so I'm not going to do it. Maybe leave the room or chug a glass of water? Every once in a while allow yourself to have the donut or else this "lifestyle change" won't stick.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Self-control is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets.
    But having said that, there's nothing wrong with donuts, in moderation, within your calorie deficit.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Self-control is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets.
    But having said that, there's nothing wrong with donuts, in moderation, within your calorie deficit.

yes sometimes it physically hurts to say no...I don't have a good willpower. But it hurts less to say no the more you do it.

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Just an update, I made it through the work date and didn't have one! I might have a smaller lunch and have one tomorrow as there were some left and work it into my calories!

This is a big leap for me as I think this is the first time I have ever not eaten something that was there, a couple of months ago I would have eaten the whole bag, no joke!
  • DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I work in a hospital, and I'm surrounded by nurses every day. They absolutely love potlucks, donuts, and candy. It happens *all* the time.

Basically I just stick to "no" and practice it constantly. After the first few years, I developed the reputation of being the guy who always says no to donuts, cake, and candy. Then there's no problem.

I work with a whole lot of dentists. Same thing.

I have never seen so much sugar in my life.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Another vote for pre-logging! Not just the donut - everything. Last night I pre-logged everything for today. Of course things come up, and I will edit as needed. But it's helpful to have a plan. That way when a donut pops into my day, I can look at my pre-logged meals and decide what I can ditch to make room for the donut. If there isn't anything I'm willing to not eat in exchange for the donut (and I don't have time to put forth the exercise), then the answer is no.

Think of it like a pre-loaded debit card. If you put $1000 on a debit card, and you want to buy something, you need to check your balance before you can spend it.
  • yornma
    yornma Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Best way to avoid the sugary sweeties is to purge your place of them. If you see them at work, treat them like a venomous snake; avoid eye contact and walk around the offender.