For Asian Women 1200 calories are maintenance??!!

Options
2»

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that "Asians" need fewer calories -- and what do we mean by Asians, since that could include Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc., who have smaller bone structure -- and people from India, Pakistan and other countries who have a completely different body type. "Asians" if we mean Chinese, Japanese, Koreans -- may need fewer calories due to size and bone structure. I teach international students and some of my female students have wrists half the size of mine, and I am a small American woman. I have heard that they develop diabetes at a lower BMI, but that may also be due to size -- a Chinese female with a BMI of 24 may have more body fat than a larger boned Western woman.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP, if someone told you that any Asian woman needs to eat 1200 calories, that is simply not true. Even if Asians digest food differently, an underweight 4'11" Asian woman will need to eat less to maintain than a 5'6" overweight Asian woman. Your best bet is to figure out your TDEE and start with the generalized numbers. If your weight doesn't start moving after 4 weeks, reduce by 100 cals and give it more time. All the formulas are estimates anyway, so many people have to play with the numbers until they find the right fit. Good luck :drinker:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

So people of the same ethnicity need to eat the same amount of food regardless of differences in height, weight, or activity level?! Really?!

And in case there are any other comprehension issues, the person the OP was talking to stated that every female on an ENTIRE CONTINENT has the same caloric needs.

Exactly how is his recommendation any different then our national recommendation of 2500 calories a day for men and 2000 calories a day for women. Last time I checked the side of a box of cheerios I didn't recall seeing a recommended caloric intake broken down by age, height and weight.

You really only run into these more precise breakdowns of needed caloric intake with advanced weight loss enthusiasts and body building/fitness enthusiasts or when deemed medically relevant by a physician other than that the average Joe in the US thinks it's 2500 calories a day for men and 2000 calories a day for women. Again I see no difference between this and the basic recommendation given the OP.

Most people active on the MFP forums have run their specific numbers not only for calories, but for their macros as well. In fact, plugging your stats and goals into MFP gives you a personalized calorie goal. I have never run into anyone here who is going by the 2500/2000 cal recommendation.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not shocked to hear that some yahoo on the Internet wanted to play doctor and give advice without actually going to school and learning anything.

If you get your health advice online, you get what you pay for.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I have never heard that "Asians" need fewer calories -- and what do we mean by Asians, since that could include Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc., who have smaller bone structure -- and people from India, Pakistan and other countries who have a completely different body type. "Asians" if we mean Chinese, Japanese, Koreans -- may need fewer calories due to size and bone structure. I teach international students and some of my female students have wrists half the size of mine, and I am a small American woman. I have heard that they develop diabetes at a lower BMI, but that may also be due to size -- a Chinese female with a BMI of 24 may have more body fat than a larger boned Western woman.

This. While they do develop obesity-related chronic conditions at a lower BMI, it is dependent on their individual size, activity level, etc.