Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you are asking the question, I am sure you don't mind honesty. You are what a lot of people would call "skinny fat". Meaning you are probably at a healthy weight, but have a relatively high BF percentage for your weight. I am assuming you lost a lot of weight without any type of strength training. If that is the case, get on a structured lifting program and build some muscle.

this is an example of a standard that is not held by the majority of people (who do not frequent fitness websites).

Hope that wasn't a dig, since we are on a fitness website... although, I wouldn't agree that it is only people who frequent websites. I would extend that to just fit people in general. Most fit people know the term regardless of the websites they are on.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are asking the question, I am sure you don't mind honesty. You are what a lot of people would call "skinny fat". Meaning you are probably at a healthy weight, but have a relatively high BF percentage for your weight. I am assuming you lost a lot of weight without any type of strength training. If that is the case, get on a structured lifting program and build some muscle.

this is an example of a standard that is not held by the majority of people (who do not frequent fitness websites).

No

What you have is a young man, at a healthy weight, who has lost a lot of weight and is still uncomfortable and under confident in his body

The psychological, if not physical, solution to that is to get fit and strong...the way to do that is to follow a progressive resistance routine..the side effect is confidence and yes muscular development

Instead what you have done, from what I can see, is add what I believe you imagine to be a politically correct and pseudo-sympathetic response, offering nothing of help to the OP in an attempt to gain some kind of upper hand in a battle that nobody else is fighting

There's nowt as odd as folk
  • nannameff
    nannameff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kg00105 wrote: »
    Hi guys! So, this is me...160lbs and 6 foot 2 http://s48.photobucket.com/user/kg00105/library/Mobile Uploads?sort=3&page=1

I grew up being the 'fat kid' at school and always struggled with my weight. Whilst I have lost alot and my friends call me skinny, I still see myself as fat. In particular, the 'love handles(?) I still possess. These seem enormous to me and I cannot look beyond them in the mirror. As a result, I avoid public beaches/swimming pools through embarrasment. What should I do as I am concerned an eating disorder may develop?
    You were probably never "fat," you just hadn't grown into your weight yet!

Google 'what is proper BMI?' for guidelines for proper weight for your gender, age, height. Then you can realistically work at increasing muscle, maybe even getting the help of a certified trainer at a gym/health club.

And accept yourself for who God made you to be: a tall, handsome young man.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options

I believe this is called, answering the question honestly.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You seem to be offended on behalf of the OP and I'm not sure why. "Skinny fat" is not a derogatory term or indicative of an unusual aesthetic standard. I don't see anything wrong with what Hornsby wrote.

I'm just concerned that if he does have significant distress, suggesting that he hold himself to standards held by a small subset of the general population might make things worse. because really, it's not a universal standard, far from it.

Hope that wasn't a dig, since we are on a fitness website... although, I wouldn't agree that it is only people who frequent websites. I would extend that to just fit people in general. Most fit people know the term regardless of the websites they are on.

Nope, not a dig at all. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the standard itself, if the people applying it to themselves have a basically ok body image. It's more just that if someone has some possibly hurtful ways of thinking about themselves already, not sure it's helpful for that
  • tomatoey
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

No

What you have is a young man, at a healthy weight, who has lost a lot of weight and is still uncomfortable and under confident in his body

The psychological, if not physical, solution to that is to get fit and strong...the way to do that is to follow a progressive resistance routine..the side effect is confidence and yes muscular development

Instead what you have done, from what I can see, is add what I believe you imagine to be a politically correct and pseudo-sympathetic response, offering nothing of help to the OP in an attempt to gain some kind of upper hand in a battle that nobody else is fighting

There's nowt as odd as folk

No, it's not a "politically correct" or "pseudo-sympathetic" response. Christ on a cracker.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Nope, not a dig at all. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the standard itself, if the people applying it to themselves have a basically ok body image. It's more just that if someone has some possibly hurtful ways of thinking about themselves already, not sure it's helpful for that

I hear you. I would say to OP, you're not fat, you are slender and just a bit out of shape (I say this as a person who is actually fat). Totally different ball game. And you absolutely look completely normal so get out to the pool already and play with the other kiddos! Waiting until you're perfect will just guarantee life passing you by.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You seem to be offended on behalf of the OP and I'm not sure why. "Skinny fat" is not a derogatory term or indicative of an unusual aesthetic standard. I don't see anything wrong with what Hornsby wrote.

I'm just concerned that if he does have significant distress, suggesting that he hold himself to standards held by a small subset of the general population might make things worse. because really, it's not a universal standard, far from it.

Understood. I guess I just don't have as much sympathy or something. I live by the "suck it up" mantra. Yes, he may have body image issues, but since I don't have any expertise in psychological issues, I'm not going to cater to those. Instead, I will tell the guy how he can fix it the way I know how, and that is to lift some stuff.

Sincerely,
    A former skinny fat guy.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If anything, you need to be eating more food and adding some Muscle!
    Why in the world would you think you're fat? :/
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Tomatoey can speak for him/her self, but my take on this is that there are "average person on the beach" beauty/fitness standards and there are "fit people in the gym" standards. The average person on the beach is overweight or obese and among those who are not, skinny fat is not all that unusual. Judging by those standards the OP is fitter and thinner than average and needs to not hold back from going out in public! He looks great!

Among fitness minded people he is a good BMI but needs to lift and muscle up a bit in order to be ideal. That isn't a critique of fitness minded people to say that at all, just a reminder to keep things in perspective.

I'm a runner and it is the same thing in my world. At a 10K race I am a little chubbier, older, and slower than the average woman with being 3 lbs in the overweight range, 43, and running a 10-11 min pace. I am not elite athlete and it would be easy to get down on myself as shamefully fat and so slow that I should hide in my house from embarrassment. That would be silly though. I don't have to fit "elite runner" standards to be a worthwhile person who can enjoy life and have fun challenging myself at the race. And compared to the typical woman my age I am fit and a good size and my health is great. So I hold my head high as I bring up the rear in that race, knowing I can still lap the "average woman" sitting on her couch. :)

So the OP I think just keep that in perspective. You are regular person lean and nice looking and you have nothing to feel embarrassed about on the beach. But if you want to be elite level hot bodied then you need to listen to these weightlifter guys who know about that and have a set of high standards they can help you reach. Just don't let your self worth get too drawn into being perfect.

• rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You're not fat. You might want to work on gaining some muscle to get more of a fit look, if that's what you're after.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Strength training time to gain some muscle that's all. Good job BTW u look great.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Tomatoey can speak for him/her self, but my take on this is that there are "average person on the beach" beauty/fitness standards and there are "fit people in the gym" standards. The average person on the beach is overweight or obese and among those who are not, skinny fat is not all that unusual. Judging by those standards the OP is fitter and thinner than average and needs to not hold back from going out in public! He looks great!

Among fitness minded people he is a good BMI but needs to lift and muscle up a bit in order to be ideal. That isn't a critique of fitness minded people to say that at all, just a reminder to keep things in perspective.

I'm a runner and it is the same thing in my world. At a 10K race I am a little chubbier, older, and slower than the average woman with being 3 lbs in the overweight range, 43, and running a 10-11 min pace. I am not elite athlete and it would be easy to get down on myself as shamefully fat and so slow that I should hide in my house from embarrassment. That would be silly though. I don't have to fit "elite runner" standards to be a worthwhile person who can enjoy life and have fun challenging myself at the race. And compared to the typical woman my age I am fit and a good size and my health is great. So I hold my head high as I bring up the rear in that race, knowing I can still lap the "average woman" sitting on her couch. :)

So the OP I think just keep that in perspective. You are regular person lean and nice looking and you have nothing to feel embarrassed about on the beach. But if you want to be elite level hot bodied then you need to listen to these weightlifter guys who know about that and have a set of high standards they can help you reach. Just don't let your self worth get too drawn into being perfect.

Ah I'm glad you offered your take - that is what I was trying to say :)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Google "skinny fat" mate. Your fine, your perfectly healthy, you probably look great in clothes. Most Woman will love you etc. However, to achieve what you probably want/what the media says you want etc you might need to eat more (protein especially) and lift weights. Just research how to do it and then apply it. Easy?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

OK this I accept and understand and believe offers decent support to the OP ...I potentially misread the intention of the original as a cheap shot when none was intended for which I apologise
  • kg00105
    kg00105 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Haha sorry to cause a domestic guys! Really appreciate all of your help.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    kg00105 wrote: »
    Haha sorry to cause a domestic guys! Really appreciate all of your help.

You're totally fine! :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OK this I accept and understand and believe offers decent support to the OP ...I potentially misread the intention of the original as a cheap shot when none was intended for which I apologise

it's ok - i might have worded it differently but that's how it came to me
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Well, I think I look gross right now at about 27% BF. I don't have BDD. I just like my body lean and strong, and it's neither. It's soft, puffy, and ugh.

I love my body as much as it's possible to love a body that had chronic and bizarre illnesses that cause constant pain and cramping. But I LIKE it better at 20% BF. Or less. I LIKE being super-strong. I LIKE having a small waist.

None of that means I'm messed up in the head.

Okay is okay. I want better than okay.

Aaaaaaaand sorry, realistically? Yeah, but hubby's six pack is super hawt. He isn't huge. But he's built. Being less than ideal doesn't make you unattractive but being closer to the ideal does make you more attractive.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things.