High Intensity ALWAYS!

Options
I don't know about you guys, but I feel high intensity workouts are the best for gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. Some people may say "no its not good for you, you put your body through too much stress." Hell with that, I've seen ridiculous results from doing high intensity lifting and high intensity cardio. As long as you get proper rest and meals, you're fine.
Anyone agree, disagree?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    W8PushaD wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys, but I feel high intensity workouts are the best for gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. Some people may say "no its not good for you, you put your body through too much stress." Hell with that, I've seen ridiculous results from doing high intensity lifting and high intensity cardio. As long as you get proper rest and meals, you're fine.
    Anyone agree, disagree?

Nope @ bold.

They require different things. Gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus but you will also gain fat. Losing weight requires a caloric deficit, you can potentially lose muscle and will lose fat. Unless you're getting noobie gains for an abnormal period of time... I doubt you're gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Recomp.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    The majority of my workouts fall into this category. I've been very happy with the results.
  • W8PushaD
    W8PushaD Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Anyone agree, disagree?

Nope @ bold.

They require different things. Gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus but you will also gain fat. Losing weight requires a caloric deficit, you can potentially lose muscle and will lose fat. Unless you're getting noobie gains for an abnormal period of time... I doubt you're gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time.

You must not know too much about proteins, and carbs. Lean diets or weightlifting period. You are right about the surplus and deficit of course, but the way you train, and quality supplements play a huge role if your diet is down packed. Ive talked to trainers, doctors, etc. It is possible. I'm not making noob gains either, that stopped a while back. But thanks for your reply Brah
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Anyone agree, disagree?

Nope @ bold.

You must not know too much about proteins, and carbs. Lean diets or weightlifting period. You are right about the surplus and deficit of course, but the way you train, and quality supplements play a huge role if your diet is down packed. Ive talked to trainers, doctors, etc. It is possible. I'm not making noob gains either, that stopped a while back. But thanks for your reply Brah

k den
  • W8PushaD
    W8PushaD Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    The majority of my workouts fall into this category. I've been very happy with the results.

Great!! Keep it up!!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    How are you sure you're losing fat and gaining muscle, can I ask?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    MOST of my calories are burnt doing low-intensity things. My joints and muscles can't yet handle high-intensity. Pushing someone who's not ready into high-intensity is a recipe for injuries.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by high intensity. If you mean give it your all when lifting then yea. However if you mean "High intensity" by cardio standards, 70-90 of my max heart rate, then I don't do that all of the time but do a few times a week as part of my regime.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Disagree on cardio. the high intensity v steady state argument is one that rages on and on, but i find a mixture works well. For cardio unless its VO2 you wnat then overall calorie burn is importnat. How much cardio are you actually doing and how many calories a day are you burning?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    All of my workouts are HIIT with body weight exercises and cardio.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    for me steady state fasted cardio works. It just does. For you that worked. It just does. No wrong answer just do what your body best responds to
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Anyone agree, disagree?

Im doing crossfit so im with you there, id add this to what you said though, high intensity workout are great for you for limited times. After about an hour to an hour and a half your body is going to secrete a lot of cortisol (stressor hormones), and this limits fat loss. I still like to add some cardio burn about once a week.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Anyone agree, disagree?
    Aside from other things already mentioned, it depends on your risk/reward tolerance and how much injuries matter or don't matter to you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Anyone agree, disagree?

Nope @ bold.

What does that even mean?

I think he meant down "pat". Meaning if you have the diet part on point, the rest will follow??

• myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Anyone agree, disagree?

Nope @ bold.

What does that even mean?

My pillows are down packed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If every workout is done at high intensity you need to walk a fine line with rest & recovery. And even then you are flirting with burnout over time. I prefer a varied intensity thru the week and thru your workout cycles. Its a much more sustainable pattern in my opinion. Too much of a good thing isn't always better.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Very effective for overtraining injuries.
    But what do I know. I only did exactly this (lots of high intensity) and now I've been benched for the last two months with an injury.