Home Gym Showoff. Cost 375$ for a lifetime investment!

Replies

• rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    I am curious, is the mirror to admire yourself? Or does it serve some other purpose? But I think I must have a wall mirror now that it was mentioned. If not for anything then at least to look at myself. I am that vain.

The mirrors are partly for checking yourself out :) and also to check on your form as you are doing things. Make sure you have catch bars for that squat. I would consider a jump rope for major cardio burn and a kettle bell if you dont have one.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Almost identical to this: http://www.treadmilldeskdiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Optimized-thumbsup_treadmill_desk1.jpg

But I have the extension on the side supports, so the upper shelf is at 6' and is used for storage, while I have a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE monitor mounted on the wall that I plug my laptop into.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Oh, and my exercise mat is the full 14'x6'. It's the puzzle-kind. It was less than $200 on Amazon!!!!
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    Make sure you have catch bars for that squat.
    So, I am confused. I looked it up it it looks like some sort of clip that attaches to the outside of the front upright rails on the rack? Isn't that the same thing that is on the end on the safety rails? Or do you have a quick link handy to snag these? Friday will be my first squat with the bar so I don't wanna be messing up.

• HollieWould1
    Almost identical to this: http://www.treadmilldeskdiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Optimized-thumbsup_treadmill_desk1.jpg

But I have the extension on the side supports, so the upper shelf is at 6' and is used for storage, while I have a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE monitor mounted on the wall that I plug my laptop into.

This is prolly one of the most awesome ways to do desk work I have ever seen. This is how you work? On a treadmill?

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »

I see the telescope. I have an 8" schmidt-cassegrain with a drive system. They're so much fun.

The gym looks great :)
    Oh yea I started out with an 8" Newtonian as my first telescope like a MORON! I had to get on that ladder you see there to even ASPA the stupid thing! I ditched that right away and got the 6". OMG it made astrophotography WAY more fun!

Here is one of my photos I took with the 6"

c7gnzPu.jpg

And the telescope is the same color as my rack and looks nice next to it. I didn't plan it that way either :)

This is the best part of this thread. Nice shot!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Speaking of...I just got a bench. :)
  • MamaBirdBoss

This is prolly one of the most awesome ways to do desk work I have ever seen. This is how you work? On a treadmill?

Normally, I put in 2-3 hours a day at 1.5-2mph. :) I can do everything but graphic design like that, pretty much. It really lowers the hours I spend just sitting.

Right now, I'm still in really terrible shape, but I'm trying to get a nice high deficit and build a little endurance, so I'm doing 3mph or so. Plus I've burnt out the treadmill mostly and it doesn't work at low speeds right now--it'll take a few days for the next to come in! LOL. (I have to use the super cheap one because I have the world's smallest home office. Purpose-built treadmills won't fit until I get the door moved.)

Once I get in GOOD shape, I'll be doing about 2-3 hours a day at my old pace plus actually working out .5-1 hour per day, except on rest days.
  • HollieWould1
    Purpose-built treadmills won't fit until I get the door moved.)
    Instead of knocking down walls and tearing your doors apart and so forth... How about this doohickey?
  • HollieWould1
    mantium999 wrote: »

c7gnzPu.jpg

This is the best part of this thread. Nice shot!

Thank you very much.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's not very tall though. I'd feel weird squatting in it if my eyesight could clear the top bar. But hey, it's a rack!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    I was wondering about that too. Other than that it looks like a solid setup. Just buy more plates as needed.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Congrats on your new setup. Did you put a shelf across the top for your plants? Rack can also double as a temporary clothes rack. Here's my current setup in our family room. Will eventually be moved to the garage in the fall.

arbntop8gv7g.jpg
  • HollieWould1
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Congrats on your new setup. Did you put a shelf across the top for your plants? Rack can also double as a temporary clothes rack. Here's my current setup in our family room. Will eventually be moved to the garage in the fall.

arbntop8gv7g.jpg

Oh yours is fancy Lou!!! Hey, did you put those numbers on the rails? Because that is an EXCELLENT idea! And below your safety rails, what are those black clips? What are those for?

I just set a piece of random wood on top that I had laying around. I got it out of the way and serves a bit of a purpose. :)
  • HollieWould1
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I was wondering about that too. Other than that it looks like a solid setup. Just buy more plates as needed.

It's 6 feet tall. Perfect height for my body frame. Plus I get to utilize the space on top more effectively.

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Hey, did you put those numbers on the rails? Because that is an EXCELLENT idea! And below your safety rails, what are those black clips? What are those for?

I just set a piece of random wood on top that I had laying around. I got it out of the way and serves a bit of a purpose. :)

The rails were already numbered. You might consider using a stencil and paint pen to add numbers to yours or use colored tape to mark your most used spots.

Below the safety rails are jumbo hooks. I use them off the front of the rack to do seated shoulder presses. Our ceiling in the family room is to short (90") to do standing presses. Also use them for SLDL, rows and calf raises off the rack.

Enjoy your new rack/plant stand. :)

8uehyha7m732.jpg

• MamaBirdBoss
    Purpose-built treadmills won't fit until I get the door moved.)
    Instead of knocking down walls and tearing your doors apart and so forth... How about this doohickey?

Not really worth much of anything, calorie-wise, even if my knee would let me do it.

The Confidence treadmill fits just fine. I just have to buy a new one every year. :) Fortunately, it's just $200.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Oh, and I was already planning on moving the door. There's a kind of double-doorway there. No wall-bashing needed. The door is on the inner doorway, and I need it to be on the outer one. Already framed out and everything.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Very nice setup.

After watching the videos on how to do Stronglifts, I got into the power cage and just looked up. Medhi comments on the whole can't overhead press in the rack because of the top. Not much of a problem since I'm only 4'11.5" so I can OHP in most of them with no problems, but I have to stand on my toes just to reach the bar to do lat pull downs at the gym.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »

I see the telescope. I have an 8" schmidt-cassegrain with a drive system. They're so much fun.

The gym looks great :)
    Oh yea I started out with an 8" Newtonian as my first telescope like a MORON! I had to get on that ladder you see there to even ASPA the stupid thing! I ditched that right away and got the 6". OMG it made astrophotography WAY more fun!

Here is one of my photos I took with the 6"

c7gnzPu.jpg

And the telescope is the same color as my rack and looks nice next to it. I didn't plan it that way either :)

Spectacular shot!
  • HollieWould1
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Spectacular shot!
    Thank you! Next one will be better! :)