Whole 30

Hi! Has anyone here attempted to do the Whole 30? I am starting Sunday and want a support system to help me along the way!

Replies

• in_faith
    in_faith Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm on board to start too! Let's do this!

Add me if also into clean eating. Need all the support I can get and happy to give back.
  • jieyeh
    jieyeh Posts: 59 Member
    What's the whole 30? If you don't mind me asking
  • dejiharris5
    dejiharris5 Posts: 9 Member
    The whole 30 is where you cut out all processed foods, sugar, dairy, grains, and soy in order to reset your body.
  • jieyeh
    Sounds good but also would be very hard how long do you do it for ?
  • dejiharris5
    Only 30 days! Some people do it for longer though.
  • jieyeh
    Good luck !! Hope you achieve it :smile:
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    I just looked up the program.

Rules:
    "eat real food".
    "don't eat legumes" etc...

Legumes are real foods!
    Whole grains are real foods!
    What did soy ever do to anyone?

There are no vegetarian sources of protein approved on the program. Also appears to be zero science.

Good luck but I'm going to keep eating my chickpeas and tofu (which are filling, low calorie and full of protein and fibre).
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member

Rules:
    "eat real food".

Legumes are real foods!

There are no vegetarian sources of protein approved on the program. Also appears to be zero science.

Good luck but I'm going to keep eating my chickpeas and tofu (which are filling, low calorie and full of protein and fibre).

Soy can be pretty toxic, depending on how your body processes it. For example, if you have estrogen-sensitive cancer, soy is really bad news -- I forget if it stimulates or simulates estrogen production, but it affects estrogen levels. We have soy allergies in our family. Some of us can manage soy sauce, some of us are so sensitive to soy that even eggs from chickens fed soy grains can cause a serious allergic reaction, whereas soy-free eggs don't.

Legumes contain anti-nutrients. (Ever get bad gas after eating beans?) You can negate some of this effect by soaking the beans and discarding the soaking water before cooking.

I'm curious as to what appears to be a double standard expressed here. Vegetarians eliminate entire food groups as well, and yet I don't see them catching the same kind of flack as meat-eaters do. Is that right, or am I getting the wrong impression?
  • homesweeths

Rules:
    "eat real food".

Legumes are real foods!

Soy can be pretty toxic, depending on how your body processes it. For example, if you have estrogen-sensitive cancer, soy is really bad news -- I forget if it stimulates or simulates estrogen production, but it affects estrogen levels. We have soy allergies in our family. Some of us can manage soy sauce, some of us are so sensitive to soy that even eggs from chickens fed soy grains can cause a serious allergic reaction, whereas soy-free eggs don't.

Legumes contain anti-nutrients. (Ever get bad gas after eating beans?) You can negate some of this effect by soaking the beans and discarding the soaking water before cooking.

I'm curious as to what appears to be a double standard expressed here. Vegetarians eliminate entire food groups as well, and yet I don't see them catching the same kind of flack as meat-eaters do. Is that right, or am I getting the wrong impression?

p.s. I think the "eat real foods" refers to eliminating processed food with lots of preservatives and additives. I know the jury is still officiallyl out on GMOs, at least from what I've heard, but we (speaking personally) seem to enjoy better health by avoiding them.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Nope, I'll continue to eat a healthy well balanced diet while enjoying the foods i love in moderation. Im not at all swayed by the new woo fads that scare people into eliminating certain food groups from their diets . Unless a medical condition exists, all foods can be enjoyed in moderation.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    "anti-nutrients"
    Lol

There are also those peer reviewed papers that prove a link between consumption of red meat and bowel cancer...

Obviously don't eat something if you are allergic to it. But the majority are not.

• homesweeths
    edited July 2015

Rules:
    "eat real food".

Legumes are real foods!

Kale, swiss chard, lettuce and spinach can be pretty toxic depending upon which medications you are taking. For example, if you have cardio vascular issues and take Coumadin, eating too much of these can interfere with your blood's ability to clot or cause a blood clot when it shouldn't.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thrombophlebitis/expert-answers/warfarin/faq-20058443
    I remember reading about that somewhere. Is the problem lessened by cooking? I do know that when I read about that, my first thought was that maybe all those people blending up those green smoothies didn't have such a great idea after all... But maybe it's only if you take those medications?

I remember a few years back, a woman at a farm stand warned me against eating raw green beans because of some toxic substance in the beans, that was reduced or eliminated by cooking.

If one went only by warnings of toxic foods, there wouldn't be anything left to eat.

I think the best course is to figure out what works for your own body, and stick with that. I don't pooh-pooh veganism, because even though it wouldn't work for me (I do not have the proper enzymes to digest plant proteins well), I have heard glowing reports from people for whom it *has* worked. "Paleo" style eating has worked wonders for my auto-immune issues (joint pain almost gone, pre-diabetes gone or at least blood sugars look good nowadays, blood pressure much reduced), but I realize it doesn't work for everyone.

CICO didn't work for me. I lost weight, but then would gain it back again as soon as I eased the calorie restriction. I fought cravings the entire time I was "dieting" too, which was horribly discouraging. As it turned out, the cravings were due to food allergies. Who knew? Only by eliminating the foods I was allergic to, was I able to begin to lose weight in a healthy way, and eat all the calories I wanted! (Oddly enough, I'm never hungry these days, so it's not as frighteningly out-of-control as it sounds.)

I was a vegetarian for several years, for as long as it worked for me, but when I developed a life-threatening condition related to my inability to digest plant protein, amplified by the demands of pregnancy, I gave it up and started eating meat, poultry, and fish. Sure beats the alternative of starving to death, or dying of (or losing a baby to) toxemia.

That's why I don't pooh-pooh the Whole30, either. It may not work for everyone, but it worked well for me, to break my addiction to certain foods and figure out some of my food allergies. (Cravings are often caused by an allergic reaction, isn't that ironic? You might well crave what sets off your body's allergies. Bummer.) It's only 30 days. I don't think you can do a whole lot of damage in 30 days. People on hunger strikes have fasted longer than that, as a matter of fact (though I'm not saying long-term fasting is a healthy choice -- sure doesn't sound healthy to me, anyhow). ETA: And you do eat protein and carbs and fat, and lots of fresh vegetables are encouraged, so it's saner and more balanced than, say, eating only bananas for a week, or the cabbage soup diet, or the grapefruit diet, or the cottage cheese diet, or any number of fads. If I may risk sounding judgmental, I'd consider it way saner than mutilating one's body surgically, by stomach stapling (is that the same thing as gastric bypass, or something else?) or removing a length of intestine. My heart goes out to the people who are desperate enough to do such a thing.

So, yeah, OP. Try the Whole30. They're pretty serious about it (the people who created the program), but they mean well. At least you don't have to buy anything to do it. (This, from a lifetime Weight Watchers member. Yeah. Beaucoup bucks, invested in a program that ultimately failed me because of my unsuspected food allergies.) And it does seem to work for a number of people.

If you try it, and it doesn't work for you, well, there are hundreds of other things to try. Even CICO.
  • homesweeths
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Nope, I'll continue to eat a healthy well balanced diet while enjoying the foods i love in moderation. Im not at all swayed by the new woo fads that scare people into eliminating certain food groups from their diets . Unless a medical condition exists, all foods can be enjoyed in moderation.
    How do you know the OP doesn't have a medical condition?

Maybe she doesn't want to lay out her entire medical history before the MFP audience...

In any event, she asked for support and encouragement, not a bunch of judgmental flack. It's not like 30 days of eating animal protein, vegetables, and fruit is going to do serious damage to her health. Is it?

(It seems to me that only "paleo" or "primal" or things like Whole30 get this kind of cruddy response. I don't see so much from the -- to me -- crazy people who enthuse about going to a 500-calorie-a-day diet, or the people who are excited about being only-raw vegans. Is that a mistaken impression? I'd be happy to be corrected in this impression I've gotten of MFP.)
  • homesweeths
    (And just because CICO and IIFYM doesn't work for me, doesn't mean I'm going to snipe at every CICO proponent I run across, saying what a stupid concept it is because it only works as long as you can maintain the iron willpower to continue to restrict your calories, and as you age you have to restrict more and more as your metabolism slows down... No, because CICO/IIFYM might actually work for somebody. It must work for some people, from the number of people who claim it's the only way to lose or maintain body weight.)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    How do you know the OP doesn't have a medical condition?

Maybe she doesn't want to lay out her entire medical history before the MFP audience...

In any event, she asked for support and encouragement, not a bunch of judgmental flack. It's not like 30 days of eating animal protein, vegetables, and fruit is going to do serious damage to her health. Is it?

(It seems to me that only "paleo" or "primal" or things like Whole30 get this kind of cruddy response. I don't see so much from the -- to me -- crazy people who enthuse about going to a 500-calorie-a-day diet, or the people who are excited about being only-raw vegans. Is that a mistaken impression? I'd be happy to be corrected in this impression I've gotten of MFP.)

Lol whatever....i dont feed the trolls....do your homework first and then come at me correctly.
  • homesweeths
    I'm not a troll. I'm just fed up with snipers.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    I just started as well on Sunday. So far it isn't that bad. Big change from IIFYM which I usually follow. I really have no intention of completely giving up any of the restricted foods, but am excited to see how my body responds to eliminating these things for 30 days. I'm really not a fan of the Paleo diet or eliminating entire food groups, but I am a bit curious to compare the 2 eating styles. :-)
  • dejiharris5
    I am allergic to gluten and dairy and have a sensitivity to sugar. My body also cannot process grains or legumes well at this time due to a stomach condition. I have been eating wayyy more sugar and grains than my stomach can handle right now, so I though that the whole 30 may help "reset" my body.