Afraid to eat on the 4th of July....

Options
There's going to be a big block party and I planned on making blueberry/raspberry/marshmallow kabobs shaped into the American flag.... But idk really what's going to be there. If I can't find it on MFP or if it's not packaged (unless whole fruits/vegetables), I won't eat it. I'm also a vegetarian and my favorite summertime treat was s'mores but I can't bc of animal fat in marshmallows, unless there's ones that tastes like it. I just loved making them catch on fire and then they turn all goey and creamy inside but I just can't. If I do it, I'll feel bad...maybe it's guilt but I wouldn't consider. I'm eating healthy and every couple of hours. I'm surprised I've been barely over 1200 calories or not even :) but I HAVE to record. Especially during this time, I losed to love the 4th of July but that was my anniversary (PS never make a holiday your anniversary) with such a sweet guy and my bf now is not really that nice. He's always yelling or just raising his speaking voice when ever he gets a tiny bit frustrated. I went after him bc he was pretty and I wanted to see if I could get something like that.. And I did but somewhat regret that once long distance relationship I had with my ex. He just always knew what to say, and he would push me and do the exercises with me. Now I have a skinny white boy that eats whatever he damn well pleases and never exercises but I guess his freight job counts. I'm stuck living with him bc he works 5 min away and in actuality, he lives 45 min away and he's lived with me and my family for almost a year now. he's been just trouble for me..... Sorry This post took a turn. I guess I needed to vent but any who so what should I do about food for the 4th of July?

Replies

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 50 pounds and I have kept if off for nearly 4 years now. I have a rule. Family and friends bring happiness and happiness is more important then aesthetics. I do not worry about my calorie intake on Christmas, Birthdays, Thanksgiving, new years eve and July 4th. Do I prepare a little and maybe work a little harder after? Yes, of course. But I will never, as you put it, feel bad for throwing caution to the wind and enjoying time with my family. This works for me because I have the will power to assure myself that one off day will not become two.
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So do you just not anything in on the holidays?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    <3 Make your blueberry/raspberry kabobs. They will be delicious and lovely. <3

Marshmallows have gelatin from animals. Some stores sell vegetarian brands.
    Keep the skinny white boy for now. You will tire of him and send him packing when you are ready.
    In the meantime, enjoy the 4th with your family. :)
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So do you just not anything in on the holidays?
    Unless you're really worried about your days-logged streak. One day will not kill a year.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    had one of those skinny white boys best 170 lbs I ever lost. Mooched off my family time to send him packing and focus only on the good and happy. That would be you Have a great 4th.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    First of all, its just one evening. Enjoy yourself in moderation and move on. In life, you'll need to learn how to eat in those type of situations. Enjoy yourself and use portion control. One meal wont wreck all your hard work.
    And ditch the boyfriend if he's no good. Lifes too short to be stuck unhappy.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Oh, geez. :# (they'll probably can this)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the boyfriend has to do with eating at the block party. If you don't want to be with him then don't.

As for the food, it's ONE day. Enjoy yourself, exercise some moderation, estimate what you eat and log it anyway. If you go over, you go over. In reality you're probably not going to do as much damage as you think to your deficit. Your not going to undue all of your hard work with one single celebration meal. It's when you treat EVERYDAY like a holiday that you'll run into trouble.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Holidays and family get togethers are meant to be enjoyed. Part of being on MFP is learning how to eat without depriving yourself of simple pleasures.
    Eat before you go so you wont be tempted by mountains of food but do be polite and eat something while you are there. Look for the healthier choices and take small portions. One day is not going to derail your goals.
  • gregcordosi
    gregcordosi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a couple thoughts on Holiday eating. 1) I always bring a dish to pass so I make sure it is something healthy so I have that eating option on the table at all times, and if I have a burger it wont be on a bun. 2) I am not putting a healthy band aid on my life, losing weight for a reunion or anything like that. I am committed to changing my body, and my health through a continued educated program of exercise and diet. If I have a cheat meal or two along the way it's no big deal, but that is the rare exception.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There's going to be a big block party and I planned on making blueberry/raspberry/marshmallow kabobs shaped into the American flag.... But idk really what's going to be there. If I can't find it on MFP or if it's not packaged (unless whole fruits/vegetables), I won't eat it. I'm also a vegetarian and my favorite summertime treat was s'mores but I can't bc of animal fat in marshmallows, unless there's ones that tastes like it.

Maybe you should make a vegetarian main dish or side dish to share instead of a dessert type item so you can eat something filling. A vegetable, bean or pasta salad might be good. If you eat eggs maybe bring deviled eggs.
    Take reasonable portions of food. Don't take seconds. Things that are higher calorie are going to be chips, dips, desserts, alcohol, regular soda pop so avoid those or be more cautious about portion sizes. Fill your plate with vegetables. Drink water or unsweetened tea.
    Don't stress about it.

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    To me if you become so scared about going over calories on ONE day, there is another issue involved. This new life should not get in the way of living. It should not make you feel anxious or scared or guilty.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    1. Make the pie.
    2. Eat the pie
    3. Eat and drink everything else that you want
    4. Try to log it accurately as possible, but don't worry about it.
    5. Enjoy the fourth!

Part of the lifestyle change is realizing that you cannot be 100% accurate with your logging all the time and that sometimes you just have to not log or guestimate and enjoy the day. I am already like 1000 calories over the past two days and I will be over again today, and I am not worried about it one bit.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have a couple thoughts on Holiday eating. 1) I always bring a dish to pass so I make sure it is something healthy so I have that eating option on the table at all times, and if I have a burger it wont be on a bun. 2) I am not putting a healthy band aid on my life, losing weight for a reunion or anything like that. I am committed to changing my body, and my health through a continued educated program of exercise and diet. If I have a cheat meal or two along the way it's no big deal, but that is the rare exception.

a hamburger with no bun on july fourth??? really??? come on man …its ONE day..!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Holidays are no log days for me. They always will be. If I want to do this (manage my weight) for the rest of my life, I have to have reasonable expectations. That means having a few days a year that I just enjoy the people around me and the food offered to me.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Holidays are no log days for me. They always will be. If I want to do this (manage my weight) for the rest of my life, I have to have reasonable expectations. That means having a few days a year that I just enjoy the people around me and the food offered to me.

Same here. I log what I can but I also focus more on enjoying the holiday. One day is not going to undo all the work I've done.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Make the food because cooking and baking can be fun and you seem to enjoy it! Enjoy the day because it's a wonderful day and block parties are fun! Dump the awful boyfriend because you know he's awful and you don't want to spend the rest of your life with him so why waste your time now!
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Then don't eat anything you can't log.

If you regret your relationship so much, then why don't you end it? It's not fair to him to be in a relationship with someone so unloving.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Just eat the food and break up.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Same here. I log what I can but I also focus more on enjoying the holiday. One day is not going to undo all the work I've done.

this..I log it but no way it is spot on and I am fine with that.