Question about Kale?

Options
stephchadz
stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
So I want to try eating more kale because there is so much hype about it but I find it to be really bitter unless cooked. I remember hearing that if you massage it, it makes it taste better. Is there any truth to this?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Definitely massage it in oil or use baby kale - it's much more mild.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My kale doesn't get bitter but it does get sassy. I slap it in the mouth then throw it in the garbage and make a sandwich.
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Awesome thank you!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just eat some Broccoli similar nutritional content but 100% less pretentious than Kale
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Just eat some Broccoli similar nutritional content but 100% less pretentious than Kale

Vegetables can be pretentious?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    stephchadz wrote: »

Awesome thank you!

This absolutely. I love kale but I have to say, I get the same benefit from broccoli and it's easier for me to keep on hand.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    vu9swvdvz6il.jpg

My earliest memory of kale was my mom telling me not to eat the kale that had been put on my plate at a restaurant as a garnish, because "it's not edible." :laugh:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    vu9swvdvz6il.jpg

My earliest memory of kale was my mom telling me not to eat the kale that had been put on my plate at a restaurant as a garnish, because "it's not edible." :laugh:

that's awesome :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Yes. Ones that need to be "massaged in oil".
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just scrunch it up with my hands, I don't massage it in oil. The purpose of scrunching it up is to help break it down because it is a pretty tough leafy vegetable otherwise, makes it easier to chew, but I don't think alters the taste much, oil might make it taste better. If you don't like it then it doesn't make sense to force yourself to eat it. I like it with apple cider vinegar, avocado, pecans, feta and red onion for a salad. Personally I don't care for it cooked one bit and won't eat it that way.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

When you have an adjective like cruciferous just for describing your family? Yeah it is a little pretentious. Broccoli is just the least pretentious in the family.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    vegans%20crossfit%20kale_zpsrisrmqal.jpg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    vegans%20crossfit%20kale_zpsrisrmqal.jpg

Kalians.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    vu9swvdvz6il.jpg

Moms know. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Yes. Ones that need to be "massaged in oil".

If it's coconut oil, it's okay, though. Because one pretention cancels out the other. :)
  • Jorjaapeech
    Jorjaapeech Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to add kale as a side dish because it's to tart for smoothies. I had success with adding chicken broth while cooking stove top and this helps to break it down. Also, I made it last week in a large wok with spinach, pink Himalayan salt and olive oil and it came out great. Hopethis s helps
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It's so weird that it's a "new" health craze to some people. My mom ate kale growing up (one of the few vegetatables my grandfather loved) and I've had it for years - particularly at the end of every Portuguese party I've ever attended.
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I put kale & spinach in peanut butter and banana smoothies. Tastes great!