Lean bulk or dirty bulk? What do you prefer

Options
I personally have found better results doing a lean bulk compared to a dirty bulk. I find that you waste much less time (and lose less hard-earned muscle) when doing a lean bulk than when doing a dirty bulk. And who doesn't enjoy being lean year round? ;)

Replies

• seifofficiale
    seifofficiale Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    before saying which i prefer.
    do u know the difference ? curious.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    do you know the difference?

and how you would you "lose" muscle during either a lean or dirty bulk….
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hybrid: Mostly foods that are rich in nutrients and vitamins. Once I got the protein fats fiber, and all the vitamins I need (with some extra antioxidants for recovery) I'd just "carb up" still paying attention to sugar. so I could get the calories necessary to reach 300-500 extra calories a day.

I think the thing to remember is you're not trying to gain a crazy number like 8 pounds a month. I'd shoot for a half pound to 1 pounds a week unless you've done a cutt before and can handle it. Of course I would measure my belly and lower calories or raise them depending on how my measurements of my belly moved.

So, a good routine with heavy weightlifting, lots of rest, no stress and enjoy food while reaching a goal, just make sure it's realistic.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have several food allergies so lean bulk is my default. But if you are bulking, you're not losing muscle...you presumably mean you want gain less fat with it so that your cut is easier.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I personally have found better results doing a lean bulk compared to a dirty bulk. I find that you waste much less time (and lose less hard-earned muscle) when doing a lean bulk than when doing a dirty bulk. And who doesn't enjoy being lean year round? ;)

please define "lean bulk" and please define "dirty bulk" for the audience.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Based on the OP, I do not believe the OP knows the difference between a lean and dirty bulk. Not quite sure how a greater surplus (dirty bulk) would cause you to lose muscle over a smaller surplus (clean bulk).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Based on the OP, I do not believe the OP knows the difference between a lean and dirty bulk. Not quite sure how a greater surplus (dirty bulk) would cause you to lose muscle over a smaller surplus (clean bulk).

you have never heard of muscle atrophy via dirty bulking??
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So, I think by "losing muscle" he meant that on a dirty bulk you gain more fat, which causes the need for a longer cutting phase, which can cause muscle loss. Also, we do need clarification. Does "dirty" refer to the types of foods or the size of the surplus. One of those things matters a lot, the other matters very little as far as fat gain is concerned.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lean bulk... I effin' HATE cutting afterwards (I hate cutting in general), so a leaner bulk is better for me.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    So, I think by "losing muscle" he meant that on a dirty bulk you gain more fat, which causes the need for a longer cutting phase, which can cause muscle loss. Also, we do need clarification. Does "dirty" refer to the types of foods or the size of the surplus. One of those things matters a lot, the other matters very little as far as fat gain is concerned.

This
  • ndj1979
    Options

that explanation makes more sense...

something tells me OP is not coming back...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

That makes sense and could be the case...
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree with some above posters that we should probably define "clean bulk" and "dirty bulk" because the amount of your surplus will of course matter. I think the answer will probably depend on your goals. If you are trying to build/protect a 6 pack or are a body builder you probably want to keep your surplus smaller than a powerlifter without concern about being bumped into the next weigh class or is already in the 120 kg + (highest) IPF weight class.
  • studentsfitness
    studentsfitness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My apologies for the confusion. When I refer to a "dirty bulk" I am referring to a large surplus over your caloric maintenance, whereas a "lean bulk" you're only slightly going over your caloric maintenance (~200-300 calories). Also, I am saying that you lose more muscle during a dirty bulk because you gain more fat during the bulk phase which means it will take you longer to cut that fat therefore potentially causing more muscle loss.
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh I see where this is going....

Well I am all about staying lean all year round. So I prefer to minimize fat gain while building muscle.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My apologies for the confusion. When I refer to a "dirty bulk" I am referring to a large surplus over your caloric maintenance, whereas a "lean bulk" you're only slightly going over your caloric maintenance (~200-300 calories). Also, I am saying that you lose more muscle during a dirty bulk because you gain more fat during the bulk phase which means it will take you longer to cut that fat therefore potentially causing more muscle loss.

10-4 thanks for clarifying OP
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    gtmfitness wrote: »
    Ahhhh I see where this is going....

Well I am all about staying lean all year round. So I prefer to minimize fat gain while building muscle.

I'd like to a be a unicorn all year round... but mostly I'm just a rhino. I guess it's like the same. you know. Wishful thinking and all.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Go with lean unless there is some specific reason you want to add the extra fat.