Low TDEE

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a tailored dress? If so, I would be leery of trying to lose weight this close to the wedding. You may be smaller but your dress may end up baggy and unflattering.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    TaiMcEwan wrote: »
    mouqzorn0euo.jpg

I think you entered your height wrong - I'm 5'1 and it's 61 inches, not 52. You might want to recalculate.

She did put 62. I just tried it myself and it gave me 1404 for the TDEE.

Must be my monitor - sure looked like 52 to me. Or maybe I need new glasses! :)
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    These posts always crack me up. I'm guessing you've known when you were getting married for a LOT longer than the 3 weeks left before the ceremony, so you should have thought of this a looooong time ago.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Uhhhh, excuse you?

No need to excuse me, though I do excuse you for presuming to excuse me.

Who are you to say what is and is not appropriate for anyone but yourself? If she wants to look a little better in her wedding dress, she wants to look a little better in her wedding dress. And a weight loss journey is a weight loss journey no matter how much you have to loose. She wants to loose weight even though she is not overweight, that is what she wants to do--hell, so do I. That is a personal choice and appropriate for her (us).

Concept NOT that hard to understand: not appropriate goal = goal you have... that you shouldn't.

Says who? Says I.

What YOU are absolutely free to do, is ignore the opinion of any random forum @$$^013, including myself.

In the meanwhile my version of being supportive continues to include pointing out to people with potentially inappropriate goals, that the problem is their goal. And NOT to cheer them on while they blindly tumble off a cliff because they stated that it was their goal to head that way.

The OP's picture looks like someone who has little room to achieve a good outcome from caloric restriction.

Exercise and strength training, on the other hand, may well be valid alternative paths for her.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

I think you entered your height wrong - I'm 5'1 and it's 61 inches, not 52. You might want to recalculate.

^ This. I'm an inch shorter and twenty years older and my TDEE is 1822. You've made a math error.

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You have a BMI of 20
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Best thing you could do is walk as much as you can, at a good safe pace, eat back 50% of those cals.
    Really concentrate on good posture/ form while walking. It can make a real difference in how you look.
    If you can carry a couple of light hand weights to swing while walking.

Primarily-
    Buy a food scale and weigh everything.
    Eat your cals plus the 50%.

Being the same height, but older than you by 3 decades makes my bmr about 200 cals less than yours and the one thing I learnt while losing was accuracy in my intake was everything.

Sorry that is a bit random, rushing and on my phone.
    Cheers, h.
  • LynnSullivan1
    LynnSullivan1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As a photographer, yes, the photos are very important. Your personality is what shines in those photos, not your body image. That said, eat reasonably, do not go on a crash diet which can turn you into a not nice personality!, do not endanger your LIFE together with your partner. Blessings on your upcoming event.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What's the problem here? This question is rather simple.
    • 5'1''
    • 110 lbs.
    • 31 years old
    • Sedentary Female
    • Goal: To lose bodyfat (and therefore weight)

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

TDEE if Sedentary (desk job with little to no exercise):

1351 cals/day (assuming 30% bodyfat)
    1416 cals/day (assuming 25% bodyfat)
    1468 cals/day (assuming 21% bodyfat)
    1533 cals/day (assuming 16% bodyfat)

TDEE if Lightly Active (1-3 days/week light exercise or sports):

1548 cals/day (assuming 30% bodyfat)
    1623 cals/day (assuming 25% bodyfat)
    1682 cals/day (assuming 21% bodyfat)
    1756 cals/day (assuming 16% bodyfat)

TDEE is maintanence calories. In order to lose weight, you have to eat less than your TDEE on a consistent basis. Exercising more will allow you to eat more calories than if you were sedentary and still maintain. Cutting bodyfat (and weight) will be easier if you are exercising and watching your calories/macros.

A safe range to lose weight is 10-20% less than your TDEE. <--- Do the math, using one of the TDEE targets referenced above, and this is your answer. Remember that your TDEE can change over time, particularly with a change in weight and/or activity level.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
      A safe range to lose weight is 10-20% less than your TDEE. <--- Do the math, using one of the TDEE targets referenced above, and this is your answer. Remember that your TDEE can change over time, particularly with a change in weight and/or activity level.

The problem is that the OP is 2lbs above being underweight. That is random water weight change territory.

So is there a point where "cutting calories" is not the best solution for achieving the look you want to achieve?

Some of us believe that the OP is already there and should look at other options as opposed to cutting 10+% off of her TDEE.

Up to and including doing nothing in regards to changing her weight if her doctor is not on-board.
  • sixxpoint
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

The problem is that the OP is 2lbs above being underweight. That is random water weight change territory.

So is there a point where "cutting calories" is not the best solution for achieving the look you want to achieve?

Some of us believe that the OP is already there and should look at other options as opposed to cutting 10+% off of her TDEE.

Up to and including doing nothing in regards to changing her weight if her doctor is not on-board.

According to who?

I don't think 110 lbs. is two lbs. from being underweight for her height and frame. A woman of that stature & weight could still have roughly 25-30% bodyfat.

Also, family doctor's know very little when it comes to composing a rational diet; medical school simply doesn't cover these sort of nutrition topics in detail.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2015
    Options
    According to who?
    I don't think 110 lbs. is two lbs. from being underweight for her height and frame. A woman of that stature & weight could still have roughly 25-30% bodyfat.
    Also, family doctor's know very little when it comes to composing a rational diet and workout regimen; medical school simply doesn't cover these topics in detail.

2lbs to underweight: simple BMI

oh my god! Really? BMI?

Yup: BMI: occasionally known to be accurate in spite of all the times it has proven to be inaccurate for outliers!

It is called "general rule of thumb" since I don't have the OP in front of me to inspect and decide if BMI is relevant on not in her specific case.

The doctor reference is because she has a heart condition and is unsure about exercise.

Oh, I forgot: this is the thread where we're supposed to support the OP's stated goals without re-examining them!

Sorry!
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    According to who?
    Also, family doctor's know very little when it comes to composing a rational diet and workout regimen; medical school simply doesn't cover these topics in detail.

oh my god! Really? BMI?

Yup: BMI: occasionally known to be accurate in spite of all the times it has proven to be inaccurate for outliers!

It is called "general rule of thumb" since I don't have the OP in front of me to inspect and decide if BMI is relevant on not in her specific case.

The doctor reference is because she has a heart condition and is unsure about exercise.

Oh, I forgot: this is the thread where we support the OP's stated goals without re-examining them!

Sorry!

You really need to go back to the drawing board when it comes to nutrition.

BMI is outdated and misleading. It is unbelievably variable from one person to the next. My BMI puts me in the obese category.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    According to who?

oh my god! Really? BMI?

Oh, I forgot: this is the thread where we're supposed to support the OP's stated goals without re-examining them!

Sorry!

But...at her height and as a woman, she'd still have a healthy BMI at 100 pounds - the old style calculator is less accurate for short people and lower weights are now considered within the healthy range if you use the updated calculator (it also allows higher "healthy" weights for tall people). There is no reason she shouldn't drop a few pounds if she wants to unless her doctor says otherwise.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    The problem is that BMI has such a foothold that insurance companies use it as a standard measure.

If your doctor is telling you you're obese based on his calculating your BMI, leave the doctor's office immediately and find a new one.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2015
    Options
    According to who?

oh my god! Really? BMI?

Oh, I forgot: this is the thread where we support the OP's stated goals without re-examining them!

Sorry!

BMI is outdated and misleading. It is unbelievably variable from one person to the next. My BMI puts me in the obese category.

You're absolutely right! We HAVE to assume that everyone who posts on MFP is a special snowflake. Quite unlike ALL the other snowflakes. In fact, all our advice and discussion should be based on each person's unique snowflakeness.

So: when faced with a lean looking individual 2lbs from the underweight range we:
    a) assume that she is 2lbs from being underweight OR
    b) assume that she is skinny fat and has a lot of fat available to lose.

Well: since your BMI (incorrectly) puts you in the obese category, you choose *b*.
    And since MY BMI (correctly) puts me in the overweight category, I choose *a*.

Cheers
  • sixxpoint
    edited July 2015
    Options
    According to who?

oh my god! Really? BMI?

Sorry!

You're absolutely right! We HAVE to assume that everyone who posts on MFP is a special snowflake. Quite unlike ALL the other snowflakes. In fact, all our advise and discussion should be based on each person's unique snowflakeness.

So: when faced with a lean looking individual 2lbs from the underweight range we:

Well: since your BMI (incorrectly) puts you in the obese category, you chose *b*.
    And since MY BMI (correctly) puts me in the overweight category, I chose *a*.

Cheers

You seem to be quite offended when proven wrong. Your nutritional knowledge seems to be from the year 1992.

Also, drop the 2 lbs. from underweight reasoning. I've dated many sub 5'3'' women, and yes, they can be a little chubby at 110-120 lbs (assuming they don't lift). It all depends on how a woman carries her weight.

Carry on. I will prove you even more wrong if you wish for it.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    According to who?

oh my god! Really? BMI?

Sorry!

You're absolutely right! We HAVE to assume that everyone who posts on MFP is a special snowflake. Quite unlike ALL the other snowflakes. In fact, all our advise and discussion should be based on each person's unique snowflakeness.

Well: since your BMI (incorrectly) puts you in the obese category, you chose *b*.
    And since MY BMI (correctly) puts me in the overweight category, I chose *a*.

Cheers

You seem to be quite offended when proven wrong.

Also, drop the 2 lbs. from underweight reasoning. I've dated many sub 5'3'' women, and yes, they can be a little chubby at 110 lbs (assuming they don't lift). It all depends on how a woman carries her weight.

Yeah, she's more like 10-15 pounds from being underweight even per BMI, so I'm not sure where he's getting this "two pounds!" panic from.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Also, drop the 2 lbs. from underweight reasoning. I've dated many sub 5'3'' women, and yes, they can be a little chubby at 110-120 lbs (assuming they don't lift). It all depends on how a woman carries her weight.

Sorry, I blanked out.
    You proved something somewhere?
    OMG: someone call the cops. He killed her and burned her body and determined her true body composition.
  • sixxpoint
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sorry, I blanked out.
    You proved something somewhere?
    OMG: someone call the cops. He killed her and burned her body and determined her true body composition.

Use your eyes and the information you have so far... It's not difficult.

OP, is that a current picture and are your stats accurate?