Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    liahna wrote: »
    im just curious what foods everyone stays away from or rarely eats now that you are trying to lose weight.

For me the #1 thing I stay away from is Nutella + Pretzels.

Not a single one

You can eat absolutely everything so long as you have a generally nutritious diet, hit your macros and micros and stay within your calories across the week

No point in demonising any food .. just learn how to include them healthily in your diet

*inforlife*
    Why this assumption everyone is demonising food? Personally I don't stay away from many foods but a lot of people find some foods trigger foods and much more likely to make them binge or overeat. So staying away from those foods isn't demonising it's just knowing yourself and limitations.

I agree demonsing foods is not a good idea but the idea that because someone avoids foods they have demonised is a bit simplistic

just go read the sugar detox thread where everyone is saying sugar = poison …

the internet is alive with the "food is bad" or " you have to eat clean" mentality.

The point rabbit is trying to make is there is no reason to avoid any food, unless if won't fit into your daily allowance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any trigger foods, but I avoid foods that aren't worth the calories. When thinking through how I gained weight before starting this I realized I ate too much stuff just because it was there, and so I have stopped that and try to be mindful about all eating.

I also tend to be less controlled if I let myself snack indiscriminately during the day, so I tend to stick to planned meals or snacks only (with some flexibility if something really is worth it).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I avoid foods I don't like and will kill me (looking at bleu cheese).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sugar. I have a hard time with control after eating it.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day (plus exercise calories) so I don't have a lot of room. Consequently, I largely avoid anything high in calories, especially pizza, baked goods, candy (except the occasional piece of dark chocolate if I want it), cheese, ice cream and fast food. These are very occasional, special treats for me. I really don't miss them very much.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I avoid most grains, fried food, and coffee because they give me severe stomach pain and/or acid reflux. If you don't have those issues or any allergies, eat what you like that fits into your calories or macros!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    im just curious what foods everyone stays away from or rarely eats now that you are trying to lose weight.

I don't skip any foods really, just smaller portions.

• AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think demonizing looks better than demonising personally....

I do neither. I just eat less.

I cut back on alcohol because the amount I want is way more calories than I can budget....
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Chocolate in all forms!

I'm just gonna smash my head into a wall brb
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've eliminated several foods that I've decided aren't worth their calories. It's not that I refuse to eat them. I'd just that making them fit is more trouble than I think they're worth so I skip them.
    Breakfast cereal is an example. The portion that would fit in my day is too small. I'd rather have something else.
    Also inferior treats get cut out for me. Cheap powered sugar donuts from the convenience store, not worth it. Yummy donut from the gourmet place near my sister's house, so totally worth it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    White breads and pastas are completely out. Store-bought peanut butter is out. Candy, cakes, pies, ice cream, cookies - very rare. Frozen dinners out, restaurant foods rare.

Mission tortilla chips with the green banner are so out. All tortilla chips are out for now, but those are specifically difficult to not have, lol. Lay's chips are out, but I occasionally have some of the Special K cracker chips.

In came fruits, veggies, lean white meats, low-fat dairy and whole wheat breads...and out went almost everything I'd eaten before. It sucked royally at first, but I'm happy with it now, :)
  • GaryHarbisher
    GaryHarbisher Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Any drink that contains calories. I prefer to eat my calories rather then drink them.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Any drink that contains calories. I prefer to eat my calories rather then drink them.

Beer. Your answer is invalid.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the awesome answers.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese - that stuff is nasty

Lightened up ice cream - blergh! Better off having a small serve of the real stuff!

"Diet" versions of food. Seriously some of those things aren't worth saving the calories for.

basically anything that the eating of which makes me sad and craving the real thing. it's the change that's had me sticking to this for 18 months plus now :)

THIS!!! "Lite" sour cream made me want to barf. & when they used to make baked Doritos. Pure sadness, plus more fake ingredients that taste like yuck.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Not a single one

You can eat absolutely everything so long as you have a generally nutritious diet, hit your macros and micros and stay within your calories across the week

No point in demonising any food .. just learn how to include them healthily in your diet

*inforlife*

^Agreed. There are foods I have to limit because I can't always fit it in, but I don't actively avoid them.

Well, except foods I can't digest well. Like eggs (because I have some intolerance issues, I think with the yolk) and dairy, because I'm lactose intolerant. But even then (with the help of a lot of Lactaid) I'll still indulge in cheese and ice cream once in a while.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Anything from Walden Farms. I was stupid and bought some marshmallow whip (thinking that I can top it on my sugar free jello when I'm basal testing and can't used whipped cream). It tastes like sadness and vomit. :s
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing is probably the only thing I've completely eliminated. I don't like a "moderate" amount of ranch dressing, put some little dab of ranch on pizza or salad and it turns translucent before it even enters your mouth. Yuck. If I can't drench foods in ranch, there's no point.